Eduardo Galeano

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
A dear cousin of mine that lives in the Naco area of Santo Domingo has had a difficult time in finding a copy of the book Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent (in Spanish Las venas abiertas de Am?rica Latina) by the fine Uruguayan writer Eduardo Galeano in English. She has become quiet adept in reading English and wants to tackle something more serious. Does someone know of a bookstore that has it in DR. Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
She could try the Helen Kellogg Library - they have a small section with books in English on Latin America and the DR but I can't say for sure whether they have it there.

I have, or used to have a copy - not sure if it is still in my possession though. If I can find it I'll let you know and she is welcome to it (can send via Metropac).

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
It was over a year ago, but I saw it in Spanish in Libreria Cuesta (the one on Av 27). I would think it would also be available at Tesaurus. Also, if memory serves, I saw another Galeano book at Supermercado Nacional in their small book section.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sure it's widely available in Spanish, but Hidalgo wants to track down a copy in English. Mine is on long-term loan - all property being theft and all that ;) - or still in a box somewhere.