Puerto Plata

R

rick

Staying at Bahia Principe for 1 week then 1 week on my own. Would like to know anything about Bahia Principe and any suggestions of other places to stay for 1 week. Should I bring any items for the locals, if so what would they appreciate? Where are the best places for money exchanges? What not to eat? What not to drink? I will be alone while I am there, so any additonal info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

B

Becky

Re:the food in DR, medical professionals will tell you not to eat peeled fruit, seafood, etc. but it is pretty hard to avoid these things when they taste so great. I got very sick for 1 day last year, but we're going back to Flamenco in Playa Dorado for our 3rd time & this time I will take a very strong antibiotic with me, as well as the usual traveller's friend, like Immodium, PeptoBismol, gravol, etc. I think Bahia Principe is a 5* resort, so should you by chance get sick, there will likely be a good doctor there. You'll have to pay him in cash or credit card, but you can collect on your insurance once you get home. Two others in our group of 9 saw the doctor also for ear problems because of swimming & snokelling in the ocean. No one wants to forgo 1 day of illness while in Paradise. Post a review plse upon your return.

G

GRAHAM

RE:Food, we have travelled to Puerto Plata many times and the only times we have had upsets with the food was in the tourist complexes, we mainly stay in the port in local hotels with the dominicans, eat in there restraunts, and never a problem, this is our experience and to date cannot support the many quotations " do not eat the local food"

C

Charlie

Re: Puerto Plata - Food???

Only got sick once and I truely believe it was heat stroke not the food. the 151 Rum will give you the runs especially if you have a lot of friut drinks. Fruit is natures laxative.

G

GRAHAM

Re: Puerto Plata - Food???

COULD WELL BE, IN SHORT THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A FOOD PROBLEM DOWN THERE AS SOME WOULD HAVE ONE BELIVE