Sulfur (rotten egg smell) in water

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
What is the best system, tried and true to get rid of this problem? We installed a new well last spring and returned to have a bad smell in the water. The more it runs the less it smells but it is still there. We drink bottled water so it doesn't have to be pure. Our well supplies water to the main house and guest house and it is being recommended that it be filtered into a large cistern which has to be built. Any way you can think of to avoid this expense? Creative answers appreciated. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2009
What is the best system, tried and true to get rid of this problem? We installed a new well last spring and returned to have a bad smell in the water. The more it runs the less it smells but it is still there. We drink bottled water so it doesn't have to be pure. Our well supplies water to the main house and guest house and it is being recommended that it be filtered into a large cistern which has to be built. Any way you can think of to avoid this expense? Creative answers appreciated. Thanks.

Certain gases are "heavy" (sulfur, methane, propane) and attempt settle in the lowest gravitational point: i.e. subway tunnels, underground. Sometimes when the septic tank is compromised, sulfuric and methane gases leak into the surrounding earth, thus contaminating water tables.

Sulfur compounds (Mercaptan, in the old days) are also used in natural and propane gas mixtures to present evidence of leakage, as these gases are odorless and colorless. It is very common for a well to present with varying concentrations of these compounds.

Modern water purification systems, including activated carbon filtration do a great job of removing these odors.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks.....Any special brand better than others? Anything to avoid?
Is a cistern necessary?
Maybe we should shower and enjoy.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Air Helps

Is a cistern necessary?

"Airing" water contaminated with H2S helps to decrease its sulphurous content.
I have seen that swamp water was run over plastic tissue mats before entering a cistern.
BTW, H2S gas is aggressive to cement.

What do your neighbours do about the water?

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Didn't know H2S was aggressive to cement, knew it was corrosive to metal.
What happens to deep well pumps over time? The tissue mat idea is interesting. Does that mean you can avoid a filter?
Most of our neighbors are not here but we are going to try to find out what is common in the area. We had a shallow well for 10 years but it was not putting out enough water last year so that is why we drilled. There was little smell in that water. I guess the deeper you go the more chance of H2S.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Water From the Swamp

Didn't know H2S was aggressive to cement, knew it was corrosive to metal.
What happens to deep well pumps over time?
H2S + H2O >>> water weakly acidic.
Over time it will ruin pumps and structures containing cement.

The tissue mat idea is interesting. Does that mean you can avoid a filter?
It depends what means you use to get rid of the Sulphur.
If chlorine is used to oxidize the H2S you'll end up with insoluble particles which then have to filtered off (active carbon or sand filters).
Aeration could be sufficient in your case.

I guess the deeper you go the more chance of H2S.
No, not necessarily; it very much depends WHERE you are.
You could get water with lots of H2S where swamps are or were and good water from deeper aquafiers... or salty water if you're near the sea.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Sand Filters,etc.

I appreciate all your information, I feel like I'm getting a chemistry lesson. I want to have a little knowledge before we are sold something expensive that we don't need. We are going to look at a sand filter tomorrow AM. We did put some Clorox in the well when we got here and you could actually see the small yellow clumps of what I'm assuming must have been sulfur a day later. I'm doing a lot of assuming here but I guess those clumps have got to be filtered out with the sand filter, and that would be the purpose of the sand filter. If we use aeration, can I assume that H2S is released into the air as a gas? This is all new to me as we have pure lovely spring water in New Hampshire. We live about 60 meters from the beach here so digging the well deeper might make the water salty/brackish? The other point that is important is that can't have a system that requires much maintenance because I don't want to introduce something to our Dominican help that they can't deal with. Again, thanks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Water Near the Beach

We are going to look at a sand filter tomorrow AM.
For a near perfect solution you'd want manganese greensand... especially if your water also has a metallic taste (>iron).
Excessive chlorine can then be eliminated in a carbon filter.

If we use aeration, can I assume that H2S is released into the air as a gas?
Correct.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Iron taste

I wouldn't dare taste it but I'm sure there is iron in it as well. I read about manganese greensand so at least I am a little familiar with the filter. I haven't got a clue otherwise. Do you install these? We live in LT. If you do installations and are close please PM me.
Thanks for all the info.