Surf in the North East Coast

qualeaboa

Nov 20, 2009
Ola everyone,

I'm going with my family to spend 2 weeks during Christmas break to the North East Coast of DR. We will arrive in Puerto Plata and head to Playa Encuentro for a few days. Then we plan to drive along the coast all the way to Las Terrenas and Las Galeras.

So far, from my research, I've mapped out the following surf spots to hit as we drive East:
- Encuentro (around Cabarete)
- Playa Preciosa (around Rio San Juan)
- El Coson (around Las Terrenas)

My two questions to those that that have been there/live there are:
1. What other surf spots are a must to check and score some good surf
2. I'd like to try to find places to stay that are right in front of the surf spot itself, would that be a vacation rental, a hotel, a resort, I don't care. Ideally I'll just wake up and walk to the surf break ;) . So, if you know the name / website of the hotels, houses, etc that are walking distance to the surf spots above or those you also recommend, please let me know so I can call or email them for making reservations in advance.

Any advice is truly appreciated

Gracias

Felipe

Facility

Sep 3, 2008
Best surfing along your route might be at Cabarete, next door from your point of entry. Compared to this, all other locations will be a washout.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In Las Terrenas: Playa Bonita, in front of Hotel Acaya... Particularly from november to march...

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
surfing in RIncon

A surfer friend of mine from Cabarete just mentioned that you can surf on the cano frio (fresh water river) end of Playa Rincon. The waves are small, but she has done it.

Catherine