Entertaining a 3-yr.-old?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We're going to be in Santo Domingo for a month soon, and our daughter is coming down for some of that time with our grandson who is 3 1/2. It's been a long time since our kids were little, and no one else in my husband's family has young kids. So I'm asking for suggestions of things to do - aside from the beach, playgrounds, etc - with small kids around Santo Domingo. He's too young for a water park. I've seen carnival rides on the western end of the malecon, but they're not always there. When he was younger it wasn't an issue, but I want him to have fun too.

Also - my son-in-law wants to know if there is anywhere he can go to rent/ride an ATV, and where is the best place to rent a jet-ski on the south coast?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The zoo and the botanical gardens are fun for kids that age (if only for the train ride in the case of the gardens), as well as the Acuario Nacional. The Canqui?as parks in Parque Mirador Sur and several other locations around the city are pretty good options. The Trampol?n children's museum in the Colonial Zone is also a possibility although he may be on the young side to fully appreciate it.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
You could take him into Zona Colonial near the old cathedral and let him feed the pigeons while you enjoy the architecture and sunshine. The cost is peanuts.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Great suggestions, didn't even know about some of these places [Iguana and Trampolin] even after going there for 34 years! Forgot all about the train at the botanico - last time we were there was probably about 1983.

Hope I can pick up a copy of the DR1 Guide when we get there.

If anyone else has suggestions, please let me know! Doesn't have to be in the capital - have car, will travel :cheeky:

Still looking for someplace with ATVs for my 29 year old son-in-law to play.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
ATVs

You can rent ATVs in Juan Dolio, about 1 to 1+1/2 hours outside the capital. I am not sure if you can go solo or need to go out at part of a group. I went as part of a group once and had a great time touring the back country and the cane fields. The rental place is on the main drag in Juan Dolio but I do not have any contact information. I have also seen tourists on ATVs in Boca Chica but I don't know where they rented them. The three year old could spend the day at the beach in Juan Dolio, always a hit with 3 year olds.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
You can rent ATVs in Juan Dolio, about 1 to 1+1/2 hours outside the capital. I am not sure if you can go solo or need to go out at part of a group. I went as part of a group once and had a great time touring the back country and the cane fields. The rental place is on the main drag in Juan Dolio but I do not have any contact information. I have also seen tourists on ATVs in Boca Chica but I don't know where they rented them. The three year old could spend the day at the beach in Juan Dolio, always a hit with 3 year olds.

Sorry. What is ATV?

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Atv

ATV= All Terrain Vehicle. It's a four wheel vehicle used for traveling in the back country.