Pico Duarte in 14 hours

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
This Sunday Nov. 22 my roommate and I will attempt to hike to the top of Pico Duarte and back in 14 hours straight.

We simply wanted to do this as a personal challenge. My girlfriend then made things more interesting yesterday by betting us US$1,000 that we could not complete the hike in 14 hours.

Whether we succeed or not, we are both siked and ready to go. Tomorrow we leave for Jarabacoa where we will stay the night and take off around 4am Sunday.

I will follow up afterward as I will most likely be bed ridden for a couple days so will have lots of computer time :)

Wish us luck!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mega Props for even trying that!!!!!!

Good luck on a Great Adventure!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Trail mix, water, dry socks, bug repellant, whistle, good knife. You're young, you might be able to do it...
However, I am going to be a nay sayer...it is tougher than it looks...but I do wich you every good luck...
Remember dry socks, and maybe some Vaseline for your feet...

HB

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
The challenge of 14 hours aside, we are just excited to try in one day. We had been planning Pico Duarte for too long and we decided to just do it.

We have water, plenty of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and warm clothes. Unfortunately, neither of us have very good shoes because we found that you cannot purchase quality hiking shoes here. So, we will go with what we have....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I once did Cold Mountain, NC in 4 hours with a 50lb pack and an elevation difference of 2500 ft. Nonetheless, we were no doubt tired when we got to the top we spent the night there. Doing the Pico Duarte trip without stopping is a hard hike, made even worse that not sdoubt part of it will have to be during darkness. Good luck.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Just looked at the pictures when I was up, we were 4 incl. a guide
Elevation difference from La Cienaga to the Pico are 2000m and the distance one way 23km.
It took us 11 hours up, 9 hours down and we stayed overnight at La Comparticion.
Rain started after 1hour walking and it rained up to La Comparticion where we had to dry the clothes.(End of March)
Found good shoes at Marcels (Diamond Mall).
We had lot of mud both ways and in darkness, Dangerous.
Good luck! You'll need it.

GALK

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Take lots of pictures/videos if you can... good luck!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yo, Tom!

How'd it go????:classic:

Details and pics, por favor...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Seven hours since the last post and no response. Did they take cellphones, 2 way radios with them? Still descending? Time for a search party........?;)

Strike that, just seen the intrepid climber is logged in. Panic off!

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Well, in the end, we did not hike to Pico Duarte and back in 14 hours...

We arrived at La Ci?nega at around Noon on Saturday 11/21. We spoke to the president of the guide?s association and told him our plans; he thought we were crazy. He also insisted we take a mule if anything goes wrong but we refused. We said - ?your best guide and one day.? He agreed but then had to get permission for us to enter the park earlier than 6am. Turns out the only way for us to leave early enough to do the trek in a day was hiking in 4 km to the first refuge at Los Tablones. That took 4km off the total 46.2 km, but it was that or nothing.

So, we arrived at Los Tablones at around 5pm where we ate and slept. Our guide met us at 3am Sunday morning 11/22 to try and hike the peak in a day. Hiking at night under the stars and watching a lightning storm over Santiago in the distance was amazing. Unfortunately, we were trying to get a good pace to make it back to La Ci?nega, so appreciating the beauty was not our #1 concern.

A couple hours into the hike, my roommate Ken and I were feeling it. I don?t think our guide had even broken a sweat. Getting up what they call the Hill of Regret, starting around km 11, totally kicked our ass. This was 5km of straight up hiking. The only nice part about this section was watching the sunrise over the mountains; absolutely unforgettable. We were ecstatic to reach the top called Aguitas Fr?as to take a good break and refill water that we had not seen since just after leaving Los Tablones.

The hike down Aguitas Fr?as to the second refuge called La Compartici?n was a nice change because we were simply hiking down. We arrived at La Compartic?n at 10am. We took about a 20 minute break and we then head straight up to the Valley of Lil?s and Pico Duarte.

I?m not playing down the Hill of Regret but the rise to the Valley de Lil?s was kick ass. We were already tired from 7 straight hours of hiking and now we had to hike up nearly 2,000 ft from La Compartici?n to Pico Duarte, 4km away. Ken began with some serious knee pain up the mountain and I have to give him credit for his desire to hike up, but it basically came down to a simple decision: keep hiking and mess up his knee for a long time to come or go back to La Compartici?n. He chose the latter and I totally understood.

So, the guide and I kept going. At this point I was really feeling the altitude, now at about 9,500 ft. The 3km to the top of the Valle de Lil?s was the absolute hardest section of the hike for me. After finally reaching the top of the valley, I saw a sign that said ?Pico Duarte 1km?... I made it. It was cloudy so I couldn?t really see but just the elevation made me feel like I was looking out to a window of the world. I spent about 5 minutes, no celebration, just a couple of photos I took of myself with an outstretched arm. I still wanted to go back to La Ci?nega.

By the time I got back down to La Compartici?n it was 2:30pm. The park ranger there would not let us leave at that hour. I didn?t put up a fight, I was tired and Ken was sitting down with a makeshift brace made of two sticks and a flip-flop sole tied together with shoe string from an extra pair he brought. I had hiked for 12 straight hours and I fell asleep on the lawn for a well deserved two-hour nap.

Ken and I did not plan for an overnight stay and less at 8,000 ft altitude. We were short on food and had no sleeping bags. Fortunately, a young couple and their father were making the trip as well. We had met them at Los Tablones and they were now staying at La Compartici?n with us. They were very kind in offering us a locrio of rice, beans and chicken. They even gave me a piece of chocolate which I thanked the universe for since Ken and I made the stupid mistake of not bringing any sugar. I?ve never craved chocolate more in my life. Our lives were really saved when we realized the refuge had a chimney. Ken and I slept all night next to the fire, waking up periodically to add more wood. The temperature outside was about 35 degrees Fahrenheit.

We started the trek back to La Ci?nega early this morning 11/23 at 4am. At the very least we were not in a rush and could enjoy the scenery a bit more: walking above the clouds is pretty cool. Ken really sucked it up to hike seven hours back to La Ci?nega with a knee brace and two sticks for support.

So, in the end we did the trip in a day and a half. We are both incredibly sore but will have quite the story to tell. I?m not making excuses in any way but the trail to Pico Duarte is almost entirely covered with large rocks. It?s more like hiking a dry river bed than a trail. This was havoc for footing and each step we took was a balancing act. Other than that, it was just a kick ass trail. This is the first time I?ve ever hiked in my life and Ken hasn?t done so in years. The guide, who I never saw sweat or drink water, acknowledged hiking the trail in 14 hours was a crazy idea but admired the attempt.

I?ll always have this experience but next time I?ll go without a time limit with my girlfriend to enjoy the scenery. Despite the absolute kick ass hike, there was plenty of nature to take in that is impossible to do when you are running by.

I didn?t focus too much on pictures because we had another goal in mind but I was able to take some on the run. I'll post the link asap.

Reactions: Chirimoya

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What a fantastic report and what an achievement, even if it wasn't within the 14-hour target.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like you had an excellent learning experience. A little foolhardy to be hiking in the dark or semi-dark (easy way to break and leg or ankle) I'm a very experienced hiker and love challenge. I didn't think you could do it because of the distance and elevation change but you did pretty darn well. I'm glad you are going to try it again, a lot slower and a lot wiser now.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And with the exception of me, nobody told you: "I told you so!@@@@@"""""

Unless you train at altitude it is a major hurdle to cross...

Well done however....but you should have taken trail mix...Like I told you...

HB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The important thing is you made it. Good job, Mr. Murray!!!

Now, a piece of advice for any would-be adventurers, young or old-

The are three main things that can negatively impact a trip like this.

1) Gross lack of physical preparation/overestimation of physical abilities.

2) Lack of altitude acclimatization.

3) Inadequate food/water/clothing.

I can't begin to tell you how many marathoners wind up getting seriously hurt every year because of this. One marathon is all it takes to tear up the cartilage in your knees, and you'll be in pain for the rest of your life for trying to pull what for many is a once-in-a-lifetime stunt.

As for hikers, it's pretty much the same thing. Aside from acclimatization, which actually can be achieved through either a lot of hiking at altitude or using an oxygen tent to sleep in (you can find them for rent here in the states) seriously consider the physical shape you're in.

Lose weight, work on your core and strengthen your quads if hiking this mountain is a goal of yours. You'll thank me later.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One helluva try. Kudos!

I kinda wondered if y'all could do it in 14 hours.

I lived in Portland OR for a while and climbed 11,250' Mt. Hood in August. 'Course the snowcap is permanent. We left Timberland Lodge, the ski lodge at 5600' where climbers embark, at 5am. It's a straightforward, non-technical climb to the top of the mountain even through snow and glaciers.

I was 26 at the time and in the peak of physical conditioning. We had a small-4-group, all in shape. It took us 12 hours up and down.

The altitude is what slowed us down. At 7500' you took 2 breaths for every one step up. At 10,000' I had to pant just to get any oxygen and my legs felt like logs. The top, while exilerating, was very difficult to catch breath. And it was COLD @ 11,250' (actually it was cold from 7000').

It was a LOT more difficult than we expected.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
There was no way for us to train for this, unless we wanted to travel back and forth to the mountains for a month. We live in Santo Domingo and we just said, "let's do it". Was there lack of preperation? Yes, but it was the challenge. Ken is in shape and I live at the gym, box, run, surf. I am not ashamed to say that this hike kicked my butt and I was not ready. I'm a bit sore now, but the pain reminds me I'm alive. Although dangerous, it was necessary for use to leave at night or we would have never done the hike in a day.

Hillbilly was right about the trail mix but in our defense we had plans to buy this (and other rations) in Jarabacoa where we thought we were gonna stay. After coordinating everything in La Ci?nega, we were forced to spend the night. In all honesty though, we should have remembered at least chocolate from the local colmado in town.

Here are some photos. Please disregard the last few but I have no idea how to delete photos in the media gallery. I loaded some photos a bit small but I'm not in the mood to go back ad do it again :)

Enjoy: Pico Duarte - DR1 Media Gallery

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
This is Ken, the other fool who attempted this. Bottom line, we made it. But it did kick our ass. There are only 2 things I would have done different. Water and food. I brought 24oz of water for just me. That should be double at the very minimum. I forgot what the distance between Los Tablones to Aguitas Fr?as was, its not that far. But it will kick your ass. And 24oz of water is not enough to get between the two.

In some places you are literally climbing a 30 degree incline on sand, mud, or very unstable rocks. For every 18 inches you move forward, you slide 6 inches backwards. The trail is nothing like you would ever imagine in North America. This "trail" is more of a wash meant for mules or mountain goats. And I bet they have a hard time too.

It was my ignorance not bringing the right food. I've done extreme stupid stuff like this before, and just plain forgot. TJ and I like eating healthy, so we brought "healthy" food. That was stupid. What you need is sugar. Hillbilly is right, I forgot all about trail mix, with a lot of M&Ms. Hard candy to suck on, and lots of cut up apples, oranges, and mango.

Our physical conditioning for the climb was fine. There is no other training or any other physical preparation I would have done. I dealt with the altitude pretty good. But there is no way you can train or condition yourself for altitude other than live at a higher altitude. My body can only create so many red blood cells here at sea level. When I am at altitude, my blood cells can only carry so much oxygen to the rest of my body. I operate in a deficit. That's just how it is. And that is part of the challenge.

In hindsight, like I said, I would have brought more water, and more sugar. But even with that, I dont think it would be possible to do it in 14 hours. Maybe 18 hours. And no matter what, you have to hike at night. Even if you attempt this during the Summer time when the daylight hours are longer, it's necessary to hike at night.

The one thing that has me curious. People hike Pico Duarte all the time, and basically say it was fun. Let me tell you, it's not fun. There is no way any human could have fun hiking up Pico Duarte. It's survival and pushing yourself to your limits, and meeting a challenge. The people who say it's fun have a burro. They dont pack their own food, water and clothing with them. A burro carries it for them. And I would guess well over 50% of them ride the burros too.

So, if you want to have an enjoyable trip up Pico Duarte, take a mule OR TWO. One to carry your supplies, and another to carry you! You'll still be tired, but you'll have great pictures, and fond memories of your experience.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, youdid it..up and back...I do hope those knees are getting better.
I had a friend who diappeared up there and has never been found...so it is not a walk in the park.

I have read enough National Geographic to know that preparation is a key to any climb, and if Cobra said at 26 (a professional athelete) he was beat, I can add that I was a couple of year older and in only "fair" condition when I competed in a Judo tournament in Caracas. When I read that Cobra's "legs felt like logs", I can remember the feeling...

All in all, in spite of the jibes and the I told you soes, I think you 1) had some fun and 2) proved something to your self...which is important, too....

HB