Anyone else bemused by the moderation here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
While I'm not a prolific poster, I AM a guy who appreciates the wealth of knowledge available here, and the board members' willingness to help. It truly IS a community - a wonderful thing, that.

I've spent a fair amount of time the last couple days reading old threads that interested me. And have been almost as entertained by the moderators' viewpoints as by the other content. Things like one mod blessing a thread, the other closing it. And "there's a very real danger of this thread becoming off topic to the DR..."

The board that I have been most active over the years with is soon approaching it's 10th anniversary. I've been there from the beginning. It's sponsored completely by a sailing magazine, so has no advertisers' pressures to deal with - although I'm not certain that advertisers ever really care about much more than readership. Maybe they do- is beyond my expertise. BUT - this board I'm referring to has a section devoted only to offtopic stuff. anything goes, there.

The kicker to all this is - this other board is completely unmoderated, and possible the most civil in how posters treat each other, than ANY I've ever seen. Well - there is a guy who will gently chide any truly offensive, unruly posters - but NEVER closes a thread, or get his panties in a wad over being offtopic. The most moderation I've EVER seen there is to delete a post, or send a thread to the offtopic area.

I guess I'm wondering why DR1, and most boards similar, see moderation as a crucial part of day to day life? Especially when the moderation is as unpredictable as it is? I mean, really, what's the harm if a thread veers offtopic? I guess if a poster proves himself/herself to be simply intolerably offensive to the principles of the board, then restricting their abilities to continue posting is called for. But honestly, what's everyone so scared of in a thread that began as directly related to the DR, but veers off in a different philosophic direction? Nobody's forced to read ANY thread, near as I can determine. ;)

Anyway, maybe someone can help me understand this philosophy? I'm...confused. But intellectually curious.

And before anyone jumps me with "if you don't like it, leave!" - please understand that I'm truly not being critical. It is what it is, and I really enjoy DR1. I just don't understand the rationale, and would like to. It interests me.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It could be something as simple as threads which go everywhere and anywhere make it very difficult for people who are searching for information to find it.

And we do tell people to search, when they post a question which has been asked many times before.

There IS a forum for off topic stuff here - the Clown Bin. Perhaps if it was renamed The Clown and General Odds and Sods Bin that would accommodate off DR topic stuff :cheeky:? Although General Odds and Sods does have a DR ring to it.........

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
some people get very irritated when some idiot posts something off topic to their sensible question - ahem anyway....moving on...it would be rather a dry old board if it was only questions and answers , in my opinion

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
:pirate: "General Odds and Sods" DOES have a nice ring to it...and appropriate to boot! ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sometimes posters make requests from behind the scenes for a post to be closed.

We also know from experience, well before my time as a moderator, that certain topics (both DR and non-DR related) never end well.

And yes, some mods have more patience than others. We are only human after all. :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
your sailing Board

I would suggest that perhaps the posters on your Sailing Board are just better mannered and more mature than we are....

there are lots of passionate people here, Latins and wannabes...

We attract a global .. sorta... readership and posters

even our most civilized guys, with graduate degrees in economics,,, some of them, can stoop to vicious name calling....

lots of posters who have been belligerent, or just plain irritating, have been banned from the forum....

I guess that since we are an English Board in a Spanish country, a lot of us use this place as a sort of "virtual pub" as it were, to hang out, to compare notes on life here... and I suspect that without the mods there would be even more brawls.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I question the moderating too...but

To answer your question and give my opinion, yes I am often bemused by the moderating on DR1 and for me it's the inconsistency but within the inconsistency there is a bit of a trend meaning the moderators are quite predictable. There are some who are active, semi-active and those who are absolutely dormant. Meaning no action is taken although they are on the board daily and most likely they probably don't read the thread(s). Threads go off topic, there are personal attacks or insults and then thread takes a complete downhill turn.

In the same vain, you do see some good moderating in certain forums which make for very informative threads which in the long run serve as a good reference. IMO, good moderating is needed otherwise a potentially productive message board loses its focus. It can not be a 'post whatever you want free for all' or else it defeats the purpose of trying to have a message board where people can exchange informative ideas and information about the DR. Yes, you are going to have some off topic data and sometimes it's needed in a discussion or debate to make a point but when posts like those change the topic of the thread completely, it's unfair to the OP who is truly seeking some informative data, ideas etc. based on people's experiences.

The moderators who are actually moderating do have a difficult job IMO, no doubt but I am often baffled at some of the posts that remain in some threads and there's no apparent action taken. However, overall I think DR1 is a good site with posters who have good intentions and what works for me is when posters get out of hand or constantly disrupt the flow of threads, I just lie low for a while or try not to posts in those forums where there's little or no apparent moderating. ;)

-MP.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnaC

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
slrguy,

This is not the first time someone asks what you are asking. And this type of thread usually ends up getting closed because it opens the door for the offended to march in with their complaining (most considered whining). To be honest with you being a mod on this board is not an easy task. The owner of this board instructs to remove/close posts that are not DR related. Also, no abuse or personal attacks are to be allowed. These have been the number one rules since I joined this board in Jan of 2003. With that said there is a fine line between what is and what isn't DR related. And mods have different styles of moderating. As Chiri mentioned we are only human. Speaking for myself when I delete or close a thread I do it following what has been the number one rule. And before I close/delete a thread I think it over and over. That is because I have a lot of respect for people in general. Specially the "elders" if you will.

People have to understand that this is a privately ran website with companies that pay money to advertise here. Some companies look at the ambient of site's message boards when deciding whether to advertise or not with the site. If they see that there is only negativity of all sorts (hate mongering, name calling, racism) they might just take their business elsewhere and that means DR1 will loose business. If I were the owner I would not allow it either. That will be like taking food out of my mouth!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
This is DR1...

DR1 is a community made up of...
37 Forums
6 Archive Forums
4 Admin forums

Comprised of...
56,000+ Registered Members
of whom over 3,200 are considered "Active"

At any given time there are many, many posters...
just under 600 are on line as I type this
with an all time high of 2,543 at one time in 2007

Generating...
76,500+ threads
approaching 750,000 posts

Moderated by...
20 individual Mods and Admins in three categories
with varying responsibilities and powers

FYI, for the most part, individual Mods only have moderation powers in their own specific Forums; in other Forums they are no different than any other poster. There are two Mods who have broader based powers, only as relates to SPAM prevention and of course the two Admins have full God-like powers - LOL. In general the Mods are left to their own devices to set the standards in their own areas of concern (within the general DR1 parameters we all recognize) and while this can and does lead to some inconsistencies, that Mod is the best suited individual to keep his/her thumb on the local pulse.

For example, when Wud and I took over the Travel Forums, DR1 was not relied on by many travelers (IMHO) as DR1 had a reputation of jumping all over newbies. We have mitigated this, at least to some degree in the travel forums, and we now get new posters who actually ask questions and receive answers, not criticism for their choices. While we are less tolerant than the General Stuff Forum (For all those questions without a home. Not for the faint hearted or easily offended!), we are far more tolerant than the Visas Forum which is fact based and opinion intolerant - but that's how those who use the forum want it.

We are a community and as such we cover the full spectrum of posters and opinions for this reason moderation is sometimes necessary. Mods are human and are subject to all of the human frailties which colour our day to day performance, just like you. Believe me when I say that being on this side of the Control Panel is not as easy as you may think. This is the third board on which I am/have been a Mod or Admin and I can state to a certainty that this is by far the most challenging...

and the most fun.

Gregg
Mod.

P.S. - And unfortunately as El Tigre said this type of thread often gets closed when those with agendas appear out of the woodwork - maybe we'll be surprised this time...

Last edited:

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
In the same vain, you do see some good moderating in certain forums which make for very informative threads which in the long run serve as a good reference. IMO, good moderating is needed otherwise a potentially productive message board loses its focus. It can not be a 'post whatever you want free for all' or else it defeats the purpose of trying to have a message board where people can exchange informative ideas and information about the DR. -MP.

But you see - this is my point, exactly. It CAN be post what you want. I've seen it happen for 10 years. Successfully.

Anyone who would ever accuse a bunch of cruising sailors to be "more mature" etc. than the members here has never been around a crew of pirates and scalawags before. I honestly think that people in general tend to behave themselves when decent behavior is the norm. And if they don't? The other members tend to spank them and send them to a corner. ;)

Maybe someone searching for a specific answer has to read thru a little more stuff on their way to getting an answer - but they also tend to learn a little more, in that search, and that's not all bad. From my perspective, if someone doesn't have the patience, or wants to whine about threads requiring more reading to get to the "meat" they are looking for - so what? One gets one pays for, no?

BTW- I certainly know what a thankless, difficult job moderation is. I'm still not sure WHY anyone thinks it's a necessary job....but thanks for trying to enlighten me, all.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have participated in maybe 30-40 various message boards over the past 10 years.
I have never seen a successful non-moderated message board or one survive very long.

Please post a link to your sailing forum, so I can take a look at what they are actually doing.

Mar 2, 2008
I think a great deal of this has to do with the ideological perspective of the various moderators. Some are more tolerant of various and different ideas and points of view than others are.

The more conservative tend to be the most protective of "their" domains. There are exceptions, of course, but the inconsistencies that the original poster referred to are a natural reflection of the spectrum of ideologies.

The basic question becomes, is there a "perfect" form of governance? Should the people rule themselves without government (anarchy), with limited government (varying forms of democracy), with a strong elected central government (a republic, for example), or a strong central government, which isn't elected or representative of those who are governed (a monarchy or dictatorship??

In this case, the owner of this enterprise has a distinct stake in how DR1 is run, and therefore has a right and an obligation to ensure things are run in an orderly fashion. (And no, I am not an owner or investor, unfortunately.)

This leaves us where we are, with a decent and fairly well-run forum, which makes some mistakes, from time to time.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am often baffled at some of the posts that remain in some threads and there's no apparent action taken.
Just to pick up that one point - we don't always read every single post, especially if the thread is on a non-controversial topic. Posters are encouraged to report problematic posts - this could include spam, abuse, off-topic comments, trolling, sock puppetry, etc. You click on the ! icon on the top right-hand side of the post.

Take care not to click the wrong icon and end up giving them reputation points. I know, I've done it more than once.:ermm:

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
ask, and ye shall receive!

I have participated in maybe 30-40 various message boards over the past 10 years.
I have never seen a successful non-moderated message board or one survive very long.

Please post a link to your sailing forum, so I can take a look at what they are actually doing.

Index : Cruisers Forum : Latitudes & Attitudes Magazine

At what they are ACTUALLY doing? I assume that when you see that I was being truthful, you'll respond with "Yes, they ACTUALLY are a well-organized, non-moderated board...". I guess there's a first for everything, eh? ;)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The only thing that I agree with the OP is the lack of a non-DR related forum, but over than that, the moderators are doing a great job here. I once was a member of the Univision baseball forum and when they decided to leave it unmoderated the forum went to the sinkhole, I got out of there and never looked back.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
yeah, pretty easy when you have about 10 users posting LOL

10 users? with thousands of members? Like any board, there are people that post FAR more than others...but 10 users? Ummmm...ok. Obviously, you took a good, long look.

May 12, 2005
Look guy, I am moderator, not a censor. I tend to let people express themselves and threads continue on unabated unless things out of control and way to personal or insulting.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I only post here to help and ask for help. I think you can see whatever you want in any Board. Considering the size, I think they do a Great job. There are some people who go off the deep end on any topic. Sometimes they need to be slowed down or stopped. The Forum has helped us a lot and we hope we have helped some people. Nothing is perfect, Welcome to the DR.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
sailing forum:
Our users have posted a total of 151171 articles
We have 3320 registered users
In total there are 21 users online :: 5 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests
Most users ever online was 137 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:17 pm GMT

DR1:
Threads: 76,855, Posts: 736,706, Members: 56,347, Active Members: 3,211
Currently Active Users: 582 (81 members and 501 guests)
Most users ever online was 2,543, 06-19-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.