The D. R. and...

ohomem_t

Jan 26, 2006
My family is from Dom. Rep., and they've mentioned that their ancestors, going several generations back, had emigrated from Spain. This is pretty apparent with the physical appearances that exist in the family as well as the Caribbean-based appearances (West Indian or Black), both origins making the family mixed. My question is, if my family has never really given importance to our Spanish origin, or even traveled to Europe, is there any real merit in having roots from that country?

Tony

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends. There are some interesting things in Spain, and to establish a relation with them would be interesting. How much emphasis you and your family place on these connections is something else entirely.
Some people only talk about the Spanish heritage and forget the African or Taino accents that are present, too.
And many people like to do family traces just out of curiosity to see where their forefathers came from...that's why geneologists can make a living...

Have fun with this, it is your heritage...it doesn't have to be a burden one way or another..

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Is your second name Guzman? if so, your name should be in the inheritance list of Juan De Jesus Guzman ( El Baron De La Atalaya), one of the richest Spanish man who came to DR in 1800 and settled family here but he went back to Europa and nobody heard about him any more until 1980 when a Swiss bank was looking for his descendants.
I'm still waiting for this money....

JJ

ohomem_t

Jan 26, 2006
My whole surname would be Diaz-Ferreira, but I just go by Diaz. Ferreira was my maternal grandmother's maiden name, and my maternal grandfather was Diaz. My paternal side of the family is Diaz. From from what I've heard from my family history, an ancestor of the surname Diaz emigrated from Spain, but the whole story has never been known on account of some information from the archives being destroyed.

Tony

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will need a lot more than that....try digging a bit more...Diaz is like Sanchez or Perez and a very popular name...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is your second name Guzman? if so, your name should be in the inheritance list of Juan De Jesus Guzman ( El Baron De La Atalaya), one of the richest Spanish man who came to DR in 1800 and settled family here but he went back to Europa and nobody heard about him any more until 1980 when a Swiss bank was looking for his descendants.
I'm still waiting for this money....

JJ
So is Mr C :D

We had a thread about this some years back and someone posted that there is a variation on this story in practically every Latin American country - probably little more than an urban myth.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So is Mr C :D

We had a thread about this some years back and someone posted that there is a variation on this story in practically every Latin American country - probably little more than an urban myth.

Well Chiri, I'll add one more. My husband's great-grandfather was surnamed Vesco, born in Italy. Because of the B/V Dominican pronunciation, and how they drop 's' sometimes, he became known as Beco. His daughter was my husband's grandmother, born in the late 1870s near Santiago. She was contacted by a representative from Italy sometime in the 1920s regarding the inheritance of a family who had died without direct heirs, the only relatives were named Vesco in the Dominican Republic. She couldn't prove her identity, her birth certificate said Beco. The guy went back to Italy, and they figure the government got the money [no idea how much or how little was involved].

My son recently mentioned he was reading the back of a Bachata CD and one of the musicians was surnamed "Vesco (Beco)". Probably another descendant of the great-grandfather.

AE

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
Wow, this is such a coincidence, my last name is also Ferreira and it's my maternal grandmother's name. Are you from Puerto Plata? this is where her family is from and if you and I are related, well, let me just tell you that our great, great grandfather was French-Portuguese and this is how we got the name (according to my grandmother)

Willowtears