Santiago to Cap-Haitien

gpeplinskie

Aug 10, 2009
Hey,
Does anyone know what time the CaribeTours bus runs from Santiago to Cap-Haitien and how long it takes to get there? Do the busses take you right to Cap-Haitien or just to the Haitian border? Any insight or comments from people who have made the trip would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I would like to ask the same questions as I am proposing a brief (3 or 4 nights) stay in Cap Haitien from Dec 20th. It would be my first visit to Ha?ti.

1) Departure time(s) of Caribe Tours from Santiago to Cap Haitien.

2) Could I buy a ticket at Navarrete and board the bus there instead (as I will be coming from Puerto Plata)?

3) Do I need an entry visit (I have British passport) and can I buy that at the border or do I need to arrange it in advance?

Also, if anyone can help:

4) Would I have any difficulty finding a gringo-standard hotel room in Cap Haitien at this Christmas period (minimum requirements 24 hour electric and private bath/toilet).

Any other advice gratefully received. (Apart from "Don't go!").

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
3 - as a British passport holder whatever you need to get in you can purchase at the border, yes.

4 - There probably is a reasonable chance of being able to walk in and get a room without a reservation, but just to be on the safe side, why not try contacting them in advance?
Roi Christophe, Picolet and Mont Joli are the best hotels.

A visit to the Citadelle is a must.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NO. You have to be in Santiago. That bus doesn't make stops, or so I am told.
COST: Less than $50 US money
YOU pay the entry fee at Caribe Tour, nothing else Everything included in the $50.
I AGREE with Chirimoya regarding Hotel. Mont Joli and Roi Christophe are the two I know. The Other is a newer one. They all have websites.
Call them, they do have phone.

Regarding 24 electricity?? Doubt it but very possible, that place is the "face of Haiti" for many visitors..

Oh yes, the bus leaves at 12:00 noon...

That is why I told you to come to Santiago and spend the night and catch the bus the next day.

Otherwise, your ONLY option is what I said above: POP-> Navarrete-> Dajabon, then you pay at the border $25 and go get a taptap...

If you need somebody to hold your hand....well sorry. that's the best we can do for you....

HB

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Thanks Chirimoya and Hillybilly for excellent info. Hillybilly, were you confusing me with someone else? This was my first post on this topic.

Not sure why I would need to stay overnight in Santiago. I could easily get there from Puerto Plata in time to catch the noon bus.

Does the same Caribe Tours bus (or one of similar quality) go all the way to Cap Haitien? If I have to change into a local tap-tap at the border then it might not be worth my going to Santiago. I would catch the local buses to Navarrete and Dajabon.

By the way, I like having my hand held. I led a deprived childhood without a nanny and am making up for it now.