Hairstyles

DonnaLaDivina

Nov 30, 2009
The babes in Nigeria also straighten their hair. Do you really think they are trying to deny their heritage?

People from Nigeria are highly known for their elaborate braided hairstyles. I'm not saying that nobody in Nigeria straightens their hair. Not at all. But, if you look at the beauty salons in the US, the African ones tend to specialize in hair braiding while the Domincan ones more or less specialize in blowouts and getting the hair straight.

How common is it to see cornrows in the DR? Aside from the Haitian hair braiders along the beaches.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
People from Nigeria are highly known for their elaborate braided hairstyles. I'm not saying that nobody in Nigeria straightens their hair. Not at all. But, if you look at the beauty salons in the US, the African ones tend to specialize in hair braiding while the Domincan ones more or less specialize in blowouts and getting the hair straight.

How common is it to see cornrows in the DR? Aside from the Haitian hair braiders along the beaches.

Cornrows are not very common in the D.R. and many women use extensions even though they've got heads full of beautiful hair already. It's almost like some kind of addiction. I think they sell more fake hair in the D.R. than Presidente.

However...

Many of the (licensed) hair professionals know how to cornrow. There are also many who are very decent locticians. These women take their profession seriously and are very quick to learn new styles.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
the fake hair phenomenon is a fairly new thing in the DR though. just 10 years back it was generally unheard of unless you were a model or pageant contestant or rich. its only lately it has become more popular amongst the majority.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
There are always a bunch of cornrows at the airport, sported by chunky white broads on their way back to Oklahoma. :tired:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Very common. They are everywhere. From barrios to beaches and everywhere in between. Thank Dominican baseball players and viajeros Yorks for this one. Braids and even dreadlocks are common in the DR. Take a stroll around, open your eyes and you will see....

Mr. Lu

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wifes beautiful young nieces arrived to visit us in Canada wearing cornrows- their mother is a hairdresser. They both have almost straight hair. In my wifes school in Jarabacoa their are numerous little girls wearing cornrows or au-natural hair. Lots with straight hair and others with straightened hair - who cares.