so ! what are the orange pipes for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I thought someone would have asked by now ! What are the orange pipes being put along the cabarete-sos?a highway ?
Maybe Im the only one who doesnt know.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
What ever they are for i am sure of two things.

1. What ever it is it won't be operational for years to come if ever.
2. They are probably in the wrong place and it will have to be dug up again to put them in the correct place.

Bob K

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
if it's fiber optic cable they better bury it real deep because it will be stolen. :ermm:

May 8, 2009
Not too long back I laid some pipe for Codetel. It was orange as well and actually said 'codetel' in small letters directly on the pipe.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It is for fiber optic cable and you right. It's not worth anything if stolen. Orange is going to try to provide Dsl and land line. Maybe we will get better service from Codetel when they are not the only game in town.

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
If Orange makes dsl and land line, holy boly, that will be a dream!!!
A lot of people will change to Orange, I'm (If the speed is o.k.) the first.
Only from Dec. 2088 until today (I call Codetel right before again) I have 4 months service.
So from the 12 Month's 8 Months without service.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I guess I'm wrong. I was told it was Orange. With the speed they are working at it can't be Codetel.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
You are all wrong

As anyone who has been around bars knows, these are beer taps. Presidente is creating systems to provide draft beer to their bar customers in an effort to reduce pollution and other expenses incurred by bottling, trucking, cases, barrels, etc.

I applaud their initiative.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Orange is for fibre - fibre is used for the back-haul from the cellphone towers to the switch where all the processing takes place.
They often use microwave links initially but these are limited in the amount of info they can transmit and are susceptible to bad weather, radio failure and general abuse by telecomms technicians - a suspect bunch at the best of times.
WiFi companies hanging antennas off cellphone towers also utilise the fibre route back to their own switches.

Fibre is good.
It has no value for thieves - it is far cheaper than copper.
It can survive surprising amounts of physical abuse.

Rejoice in the fibre!
Eventually it will run all the way to your house - then you will be connected to civilsation 24/7!

Oh dear, maybe it is not such a great thing after all.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
it is actually spelled "fiber".....as far as physical abuse, it is very sensitive to being stepped on, driven over, bent, kinked or any other type of abuse that copper can handle.....and if its dispersion shifted cable, then its even more sensitive.....as far as having no value for thieves, that is correct, as you can't melt it down and send it to china.....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Fibre Optic Training

With over 14 years of experience in the telecommunications training industry, we provide themost relevant and real life fibre optic training courses available in the UK, our fibre optic courses and facilities are accredited by the largest number of independent organisations of any communications training provider in the UK, these include City & Guilds, BTEC (Edexel), FIA (Fibreoptic Industry Association), and BICSI.

its fibre in the UK lol

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
with 8 yrs splicing fiber optic cable, it is spelled fiber, when i was in technical school, i thought it was spelled fibre...but was informed, fibre is what you eat to make you dum*.....and check out BICSI, or fols.org, they seem to spell it "fiber"....gotta go take a dum* now....lol...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.