• Thread starter Chris Brancaccio
  • Start date

Bug Bites

C

Chris Brancaccio

What are the bug bites we received on our visit to the Dominican Republic?

T

trina

Is that you, Chris from Calgary??? Did you get these bites in the water, on land, or in bed? I've had all types, and if it's a tiny, tiny bite, but itches like crazy, it's probably a bed bug, similar to ours, and is nothing to worry about. Have you been sick?

If this is the Chris that serviced the computers at Renfrew, let me know how the trip went.

J

John

talking about bug bits i was bitten by some thing that left a large welt,itchie like crazy but not at the centre of the bit like a mosquito.also it leaked infection that ran allthe way down my leg and for you canadians it looked like pine,spruce gum,you know from the trees. also met a fellow traveller at the air port on the way home said he went to see a doctor and was put on antibiotic for the same bit any ideas on what type of bugit could be.

N

Natasha

In addition to mosquitoes, they could also be "manpees" (sp?) or "noseeums", as they are called in the English speaking islands.

Regards,
Natasha

E

ECH, M.D.

HI NATASHA...
SOOOOOO, HOW WAS THE VACATION? NOTICE NEW ADDRESS.

K

Keith

Re: Hola Natasha

Natasha,

Recibiste mi e-mail? Si no, manda-me un e-mail con direccion confiable, por favor, porque parece que la de UPitt no sirve.
Un abrazo,
Keith

S

Stina

Are "manpees" or "noseeums" the same as jejenes? Jejenes are worse than mosquitos, their bites itch more and they make no sound so you can't even tell where they are...Had to use hydrocortison on the bites on my last trip. If it's any consolation after about three months stay they seem to lose their interest :)

Stina

L

Lynda

Something bite my daughter last year in DR. Had to take her to the doctor. He thought it was from the sun but we had just arrived. The bite was near her eye and the whole side of her face was swollen. He gave her antibiotics and a diuretic. Never found out what it was that bite her. We did notice insects that flew around swiftly and they were so fast we really couldn't see them coming.

N

Natasha

Hi Ernest, Keith R. and Charles,

Happy New Year to all of you! Hope you had a great holiday.

Our vacation was superb! We did so much in 18 days - never made it to the DR as we had hoped to back in Sept., but went island hopping instead and also sailed the British Virgins for four days. We also spent time in French St. Martin (visited famous Orient beach and its famed...errrrrr...nudist colony). No one batted an eye at the COMPLETE nudity of folks down there. Yes, hubby and I kept our swim suits on, otherwise we would have been the laughing stock of the beach, he,he,he. Didn't spend too much time on St. Maarten, the Dutch side, though we met a Dominican lady there working at a boutique in Philipsburg. There is a growing number of Dominicans in St. Maarten apperently. We even saw ads of Presidente beer in Philipsburg!!!

Spent some time in the USVI, where I have family. St. Thomas was a "jungle" as usual, but St. Croix was alot of fun. Ate really good food there! Went snorkeling on Buck Island again, although each time feels like it is the first time to me. Its reef is just incredible. We also spent a day in St. John - the real gem of the USVI. Famous Trunk Bay beach on St. John was lovely as ever, but my favorite is Maho Bay since its calm waters remind me a bit of Boca Chica.

From the 29th to the 30th, we were in Old San Juan, PR. Hubby had never been to PR. We stayed at a small inn called Gallery Inn. VERY ecclectic kind of place! Since this inn was an art museum, everything, and I mean everything in the place was for sale, probably even the bed linens. We had continental breakfast with live parrots, statues, and a myriad of artifacts, along with other humans, of course. Like I said, very ecclectic kind of place ;-) And speaking of parrots, hubby and I ate dinner at a place called the Parrot Club. According to Caribbean Life and Travel mag, this place is the new "hot" spot in Old SJ. Well, the food was very good, but the best food we had was suprisingly at Villa Madeleine on St. Croix and Biras Creek in Virgin Gorda, which happen to be resorts! Old San Juan is kind of scary at night. Daytime isn't all that much better either. Hubby didn't feel too comfortable there for some reason, but we definitely enjoyed our stay. We welcomed the new year on St. Croix during midnight mass at St. Patrick's Catholic Church. It was lovely!

The highlight of our vacation was definitely sailing the BVI, strolling the narrow streets of French St. Martin's capital, Marigot - the food there was great! Oh and of course the shops. We didn't buy much, but we did some serious window shopping ;-)

Think I have covered all.

Regards,
Natasha

N

Natasha

Re: Hola Natasha

Hola Keith,

Perdoname por no haber escrito antes, pero si recibi' tu mensaje. Mi Pitt e-mail esta funcionando pero creo que excedi' mi cuota asi que tengo que borrar algunos mensajes para que otros puedan entrar. De todas maneras porque no hablamos por telefono para asi planear una "juntadera" pronto.

Abrazos,
Natasha

C

ciberstew

Re: No seeums

This insect is very comon in Alaska. He chews in at skin level and will keep chewing untill the area festers and then the bug dies which starts the infection. What we did in Alaska was as soon as you noticed a small red itchy spot. Paint it over with clear [or whatever color you like]Nail polish. This suffocates the critter and he is expelled with your next shower. If you do not believe it works paint one red spot and let the outher one go and see what happens. You will be a believer over night. Good luck from Dr.Ciberstew [Your local medicin man]

S

Susanne

Please stop, Natasha - you make me SO envious!!!!!!

Anyway, I am happy to hear that you had a good time. Sounds lovely. And happy New Year to you. Just for the record: 2 degrees celsius here, a touch of frost at night, yesterday a total eclipse of the moon but otherwise very UNexiting weather.

So never mind the bug bites, the polio, the dengue and the bilharzia - I would rather be in the DR:-(

Abrazos,
Susanne

S

Susanne

Another trick: If you are usually the kind of person that swell a lot with bites from different bugs, consider bringing some antihistamin. Ask your doctor first, but it can be a way to ease some of the unpleasantness because you weaken your bodies' reaction.

Regards,
Susanne

N

Natasha

Susanne, happy New Year to you as well :)

The weather is actually pleasant today in DC so I can't really complain. On the other hand, I am terribly missing the Caribbean :-( We had not taken a real vacation in almost two years and yes, even with its shortcomings, I would rather be in Quiqueya la bella anytime.

By the way Susanne, the Danish presence on St Croix was a very intertesting one. Many colonial buildings in Christiansted for example, are still painted in yellow.

Abrazos,
Natasha