Shopping In/Near Cap Cana

MPolo970

Feb 9, 2009
I will be staying at one of the Cap Cana hotels, and am wondering where one can shop for groceries, drinks, candy, suntan lotion, etc. Ihave heard the small stores at the hotels carry very little and are insanely expensive.

Is there any shopping at the Marina area inside Cap Cana? How about at the shopping area you pass close to the airport?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The place near the airport is Punta Cana Village/Galer?as Punta Cana. Locals still call it La Bolera even though the bowling alley is no more. The shops in PCV have much more variety but the prices, while lower than in Cap Cana, are still above normal market rates. There is a mini-market (Delicana), a pharmacy and several other shops and restaurants.

For a more gritty Dominican shopping experience go to one of the small supermarkets in Ver?n like Manzanillo where the prices are more normal, or up towards B?varo, La Marqueta.

MPolo970

Feb 9, 2009
Sounds Perfect

Not looking for the real-life experience, just a convenient place to pick up gatorade, batteries, snacks, etc.! Sounds like La Bolera is perfect, and a good stop on the way to the hotel to stock up, or to find what we forgot to bring, and maybe waste a few dollars on overpriced junk -- the American definition of a great trip:)

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
There is a mini-mini market in the Marina, next to Il Vaporetto restaurant, that sells snacks & drinks - crisps/potato chips and such. But as Chirimoya said PCV is a less expensive and better stocked option.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
vb1 - the mini market next to Vaporetto is no more - neither is Il Vaporetto or Amarcord-- closed!

MPolo970

Feb 9, 2009
Is there any shopping at all in the Marina at Cap Cana? Or has it all gone out of business?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
theer is shopping vilable, but the rates are like nearly also at the Punta Cana village what you wanted to avoid to get:
way overprized, like hotelshop and airport shop rates.
staying at CCap Cana means you spend time at the most expensive location avilable and without a rental car and knowledge about the area you will have to stick to that area.
if you ask for grocery shopping etc just to avoid high rates at hotel stores i guess you choose the wrong place to stay in the first place.
it is top of the line prizey for everything there,
and that's no complain, the place is great and well worth the bucks spend, for the ones who can efford it.
happy hols
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My Cap Cana contacts tell me there is a shopping centre in the pipeline but not at the Marina, possibly in the area near the school/admin offices that is due to open soon.

San Pedro

Feb 15, 2009
Mike/Chirimoya/others in the know:

What have you heard about the Caleton Club and Villas? I heard they are under new management, but I can't find a website or any other information about booking, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

San Pedro

Feb 15, 2009
Also, not sure that just because somebody can afford to drop $5k-$6k on a week's vacation, they are so rich they shouldn't worry about getting gouged for water, snacks, suntan lotion and other things they may have forgotten to pack.

People with a little extra cash to spend don't get that way by wasting money. Mpolo - would love to hear a review of your vacation in Cap Cana.