Sosua or Las Terranas

onearmsteve

Dec 7, 2009
I'm traveling to DR the first week of March with my wife and still trying to decide where we will spend 6 days. We are 40 years old and looking for relaxing days at the beach, mountain biking, good food and of course drinking till drunk. We dont do the all-inclusive thing and like to get out and see the sights on our own. I guess I'm looking for your opinion on "what is the all around best spot in the DR."

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Las Terranas for nice holiday with your wife. Beautiful spot.

If you happen to get divorced in the near future then visit Sosua.

A caveat attached to this Travel Advice - If you get the order of the visits wrong, Ie visit Sosua first then perhaps that will induce a divorce.;)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Sosua is also a good choice, there is even a cycling club....why would you need a divorce to enjoy Sos?a........ we really stop this constant knocking of Sos?a, there are two notorious bars which can be easily avoided - there are probably at least two in most towns.

Mar 2, 2008
Most of the people who knock Sosua have never even been there. They just like to pretend to be urbane.

Sosua has a great beach, several actually, which offer many activities, such as scuba diving and such. There are many fine restaurants, and a variety of interesting places to visit. It is also close to Puerta Plata and Cabarette, both of which offer other interesting sights.

Sosua also has a diverse population, and a relatively large ex-pat community. You will find most everyone friend and welcoming, and easy to talk with.

There is an "enthusiastic" night life in Sosua, and you must understand it has its share of prostitutes and everything that goes with that. However, they will not bother a married couple. That is not how they make their money. Like any place where tourists might visit, there are a few places to avoid, but anyone with some travel sense will have no problems.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Go to Rio San Juan, much more friendly and cheaper and its has 4 town beaches. One coke on the beach in LT can cost 100 pesos, in RSJ 30. Go to either LT or Sosua if you enjoy being ripped off.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I would recommend Las Terrenes and I used to live in Sosua. It's just nicer. You can find the putas almost any where in the country if that is what you are looking for.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Its a service .....one just says no thank you, like the shoe-shine boys. Mind you some people get their shoes shined even if they dont need to.....lol

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
When I go to the DR I like to spend the first couple of days in Sosua and then head to Las Terrenas for a week and Jarabacoa for a few days after that. If you only have 6 days I would head directly to Las Terrenas. I like staying at Playa Colibri.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
LT gets my vote...but again, depends what you are looking for.

These two towns are not comparable IMO, with each offering the independent traveller different option. Not necessarily a case of better vs worse.