Accurate gps vehicle tracking for the d.r.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Besides being in the private school business in the U.S., I was also in the GPS vehicle tracking business. I have been in constant communication with my old partner back in the states and he believes he has the answer for GPS here.
The system he has now is a small unit that is installed in your car or whatever vehicle you choose and you can actually track your vehicle on your or any computer by logging in. It is accurate within 10 ft. If an address is not available, it will give you complete coordinates, longitude and latitude. This knowledge has been around for quite awhile but I believe not available here in the D.R. I would appreciate any and all feedback, positive and negative because for me to make this available here it would be quite a large investment on my part. I know the product and I couldn't tell you how many units the company sold to parents tracking children, and especially husbands tracking their wives. There would be a nominal monthly fee plus a small charge per hit. There are even small hidden units for motorcycles.

Nov 25, 2008
this is a type of "Low Jack", they offer it here for about $12-18,000 installation, sometimes cheaper when mothers day comes, monthly about $600.00

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
this is a type of "Low Jack", they offer it here for about $12-18,000 installation, sometimes cheaper when mothers day comes, monthly about $600.00

Do you know how much area they cover? I know that LowJack back in the states were pretty much only good in the cities. Once you get on the open road they were worthless. I haven't been active in researching Lowjacks developments over the past few years but OnStar had them beat all to hell.
Do you know were I can get a copy of their coverage area here? And do they have any kind of website I can look at?

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

With Lojack you have to be in touch with them for vehicle information, you are not in control. And with past experience with Lojack, their coverage and information is quite limited. They are only for locating a stolen vehicle. What I would be offering, you would be able to track the vehicle live on your own computer 24/7.
When ANYONE is useing your vehicle, you can see where they REALLY are.
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.........

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What I would be offering, you would be able to track the vehicle live on your own computer 24/7.
When ANYONE is useing your vehicle, you can see where they REALLY are.
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.........

Remember, to make any real money here you need the local market.
A few expats showing interest does not make a business.

I don't see this product working, Dominicans just don't care that much and don't loan their cars etc out all over the place.

I have seen 3-4 systems that people have played with here and none of them have got any traction in the market.

You would have thought that basic GPS would do great here. Especially as we now have country wide coverage/maps combined with crappy signage and traditional paper maps. It hasn't taken off, sales are very weak, despite some players offering a fully loaded unit for RD$4,000. This includes the GPS and country wide maps.

Maybe in 3-4 years it will be a different story?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Robert, or anyone:

Is it true they have street by street direction GPS systems already available? I was entertaining a friend from Santiago this past weekend and she told me she got into a taxi that had the system. I guess I'm doubting what she told me and it's why I am posting the question hehehehe.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
El Tigre
I have a GPS system, and its pretty good for finding things, but a little slow in uploading maps, but they do exist here and work too

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Apparently LoJack is so good in The DR they can predict the vehicles that will be stolen and when they will be found

.:. LoJack .:.

339kj6q.gif

Mind you is only December 9th, 2009 and they are already posting about a car two days from now.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Remember, to make any real money here you need the local market.
A few expats showing interest does not make a business.

I don't see this product working, Dominicans just don't care that much and don't loan their cars etc out all over the place.

I have seen 3-4 systems that people have played with here and none of them have got any traction in the market.

You would have thought that basic GPS would do great here. Especially as we now have country wide coverage/maps combined with crappy signage and traditional paper maps. It hasn't taken off, sales are very weak, despite some players offering a fully loaded unit for RD$4,000. This includes the GPS and country wide maps.

Maybe in 3-4 years it will be a different story?

What I was doing in the U.S was also selling to the car dealerships, new and used.
It would be included in the financing and the buyers loved it. Is there a system here that you can watch your car on the internet at the leisure of your home? You can also cut off the ignition(only when the car has stopped) dead in it's tracks, via satellite and much much more. If anyone would like, I will list all that this unit can do.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You would have thought that basic GPS would do great here. Especially as we now have country wide coverage/maps combined with crappy signage and traditional paper maps.

Oddly enough Dominicans appear to have an aversion to using maps. I have two family members that are truck drivers that have traveled all over the island and don't know how to read a map. They ask people on the way or take someone who knows the route then memorize them.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is there a system here that you can watch your car on the internet at the leisure of your home? You can also cut off the ignition(only when the car has stopped) dead in it's tracks, via satellite and much much more. If anyone would like, I will list all that this unit can do.

Sounds great if your car is stolen but at the same time kind of creepy to be watching anyone else you've entrusted with using your car like a spouse.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Sounds great if your car is stolen but at the same time kind of creepy to be watching anyone else you've entrusted with using your car like a spouse.

It can be useful to install in a Sankie's passola!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Apparently LoJack is so good in The DR they can predict the vehicles that will be stolen and when they will be found

.:. LoJack .:.

339kj6q.gif

Mind you is only December 9th, 2009 and they are already posting about a car two days from now.

They have funny ads depicting a protest outside LoJack building by La Asociacion de Ladrones de Carros Dominicanos (LASOLACADOM), protesting because their "business" have gone downhill since everybody started installing LoJack in their cars. "Nosotro' somo' tambien Padre' de Familia y tenemo derecho a la comia'"

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Sounds great if your car is stolen but at the same time kind of creepy to be watching anyone else you've entrusted with using your car like a spouse.[/QUOTE

It's all in the eye's of the beholder.
Everyone's needs are different, what is sour grapes to you is wine to another.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
There are several options for stolen cars, but more interesting would be fleet management solutions. I can imagine Claro, Tricom, Edesur would be interested to know if their employees are working or parked near at a Colmado.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Old thread...you should target the foreigner or Dominican who has a boyfriend / girlfriend living in The DR and you bought them a vehicle. You'll be able to see how much time he/she is spending at the "cousin's" house.