24 hr power....what power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I certainly am glad that those of us on the 24/7 power grid (really should be 21/7 power grid) have been pormised 24 power over the holidays. So why has my generator been running now for 16 hours straight or so....
Did anyone pay the fuel bill..........

Bob K

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The power is out right now in many parts of Santo Domingo.

The only thing you can guarantee on here is lies :)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Nope still on generator and coming up on 20 hours. Too bad not running the pool pump but we are doing lots of wash and using the electric dryer.

Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
turn the a/c on too, enjoy it for "free!!!"

Fortunately, we had out 2 hour+ blackout yesterday, so fingers crossed for today...

HB

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
I got this at 8 am from EDENORTE. Not that it helps any.

"Buenos D?as,
Estimado cliente tenemos a bien de informarle que debido a una aver?a generada en la l?nea de de transmisi?n (69kv), permanece sin energ?a desde anoche a las 9:00 p.m. los circuitos (CABT101, SOSU101, SOSU104, SOSU103), y en consecuencia est?n afectados los siguientes sectores: Los Cerros De Sos?a, Charamicos, Sos?a Abajo, Maranata, Los Castillos, Villa Manuel, Loma Bajita, Bella Vista, Camino De Los Llibres, La Mulata (1,2, 3 Y 4), Playa Laguna, Sea Horse Ranch, Lomas Mirona, El Choco, Perla Marina, Bombita, Lomas De La Goleta, Playa la Rinconada Cabarete, Punta Goleta, Costa Azul, Cabarete, Hotel Orilla del Mar y Hotel Camino del Sol.
El personal t?cnico de Transmisi?n est? haciendo las adecuaciones pertinentes para fines de resolver la aver?a en el menor tiempo posible. Por lo que recomendamos tomar las medidas pertinentes para que no sean afectadas sus actividades comerciales.
Disculpen los inconvenientes ocasionados,"

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I am glad they are working on it. I guess we should have power back any day now......

Bob K

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We're working on a formula to pass the actual deficient grid unto private hands and use the gov as background guarantor to get some soft extended loans, which will entice the private sector to take over and overhaul the entire thing!

In effect the grid will be partitioned by region and sectors, which will be operated and owned by the billing operators. The billing sector will own the meters, cables and substations feeding into each zone they operate; this will ensure profit revenue that can be managed without going above the given operator's capability to deal with supply and demand.

That means they will make their revenues and cover operating/upgrading costs by adding a surcharge per kw/h supplied to the clients they serve directly.
The power generators will only act the role of energy suppliers to the total grid, which will be served on a per-rate/peak/demand basis. Each generator will be guaranteed a block big enough to ensure profit and continuous room for growth.

The gov's role in the energy supply/demand/billing will be only as regulator with a detailed map to that end. The subsidies will be provided not to the sectors that today make the energy industry whole, but to individuals directly via the social programs that will be placed in the hands of a non-political agency within the government.

That's to say that violators will not only face jail and fines, but also have their property become liable to be placed with liens on them. This will make the sale or "traspaso" of such properties impossible without first clearing the liens imposed on them. After a given time provided for the property owner in violation and against whom a lien is imposed, the unpaid liens will be sold to private buyer on public auction with the right to collect a % over the owed amount atop it by each year/cycle thereafter. While a property is recorded as imposed with a lien, such property will not be able to secure loans based on the title of ownership until free and clear. Buyers/lenders will be able to check online for liens placed on any property with such problems. If they lend to the violators they'll do so at their own peril, as the lien's rights owner will have first rights over any cash transacted under the title as such.

The gov will be negotiating with the IMF and IDB to secure those loans to the private investors to that end. The project includes burying the majority of cables under the ground. The incorporation of pre-paid meters, buy-up / buy-down meters (where the client could sell home produced electricity back to the operator for credits (limited), remote reading capable modules in meters, setting liabilities to be had by operators in service of clients when problems occur in the services.

That's some of the things that are being followed in parallel to others, in regards to the goal of bringing a reliable and efficient energy service system to the Dominican people.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And Marranzini came up with plan when???

You mention "sur-charge",,,on my bill? I will hock my soul and set up solar panals first!...When you get 95% of the people using electricity to pay for it, then, maybe we can talk about (1) LOWERING the kw/h rate to something reasonable (2) jail for fraud.

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Electric here has become and is a commodity, bought and sold to the highest bidders, whether it be privatized or public folks doing the deal(s). Like the drug trade. With major problems come major deals, international deals, loans and assistance, enriching the dealmakers while maintaining the status quo. Dare I say like cancer ?
Business as usual. Call me skeptical or conspiratorial, I know, but the DR could've fixed this long ago, but there is no real incentive to do so as long as the money keeps coming in to fix it, does it?
Third world and/or developing nations know the global welfare system well and the DR strives hard to be first in line for subsistence funding; it's the world stage and like Martha the star girl just now, the DR wants to be the star, and that takes a lot of work.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here in costambar we had power for an amazing two hours today. i did two loads of washing and seconds after the last one power died. oh well.
i gotta say i am so used to this now that when i get home it surprises me there is power all the time, hot water all the time and things actually work :)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Almost 7am and still no power (now 36 hours or so) and the lights in PP that we see from the hill are still dark.
The funniest thing about this is i was going to pay my bill this morning. Maybe I will wait until i have my power back....

Bob K

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am actually scared to post this but......... no power from 3 pm on Sunday until 7 pm on Monday (27 hours) then off again by 8.30 pm (just 1.5 hours) but back on at 11 pm and, as at this moment, still on at 3 pm - 16 hours of uninterrupted electricity here is unheard of!! Haha, as I wrote those last few words, it went off !!! Was nice while it lasted though...

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I too am suffering 3 to 4 hour black outs in the 24/7 zone. It helps me to remember that "24/7" refers to hora dominicana, where there are 30 hours in a day, and a week is 10 days long.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
In 2010 CDEEE would automate national electrical system

They'll install new meters, transformers and will shield lines throughout the country.

Written by: ALEIDA PLASENCIA (a.plasencia@hoy.com.do)

In 2010 the CDEEE will start to automate the national electrical system and establish mechanisms to shut off the energy service to individual user without having to send brigades to the streets to cut the electricity.

In that sense, they'll implement a program in which all users that have an energy consumption in excess of 400 kilowatts will be fitted with special meters, the so-called "telemedidos" counters. They allow the main offices to determine the amount of electricity that each client is consuming anytime, real time.

Also from theit same offices, the Distributor employees may suspend and resume service to customers without having to visit their home to do so.

This initiative is part of a programme to change the now simple open lines by shielded cables and installation of new transformers, which would have a cost of US$ 152 million. This does not include residents of the neighborhoods that correspond to the old reduction blackouts program(PRA).

This information was provided by the executive Vice-President of the Dominican Corporation of State electrical enterprises (CDEEE), Celso Marranzini, interviewed by this newspaper. He explained that to the PRA barrios there will be a targeted investment of US$ 62 million to improve lines and install special meters.

He announced a series of initiatives to increase the generation by increasing the capacity of existing plants. They intend to achieve by 2010 that the system can have megawatt reserves to avoid the chaos in the supply when a generator is in maintenance or repairs when they have damages.

Keys:

1 Generation.
The CDEEE projected increase generation in the short term, through the fixed incorporation of the two Los Mina units with 200 megawatts of output (MW) between the two. (only one of them operates currently and on a limited basis, in peak hours and nights).

2 EG-Haina
Currently generating company EG-Haina is undergoing upgrades at the moment to increase its capacity, with some 287 additional MW, said Marranzini.

Source (Spanish): En 2010 CDEEE automatizar?a el sistema el?ctrico nacional - Hoy Digital

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I told you about all this long ago here on DR1...

The poor sectors will get special pre-paid meters that allow them to buy a fit number of Kw/h and therefore adjust their expenses likewise!

I told you here also (long ago) that the DR will ban the import, manufacturing and sales of the regular incandescent light bulbs in the country... There will be a new set of rules to what's allowed in the DR based on power energy savings over usage...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Where we live in Cabarete, we will believe in 24/7 power when we see it. Anything else is just BS. It is all good it if happens, but I am almost getting used to being lied to by the power company.

I'm truly sorry to tell you: You moved to Cabarete, which is a distant campito in our northern coast. Here you expect to have electricity 24/7?!?!?!? I know of places in super-power US where electricity for more populated small distant towns (way over than Cabarete) don't have 24/7 service!!! Heck! There are some that you need to have your own well, latrine and generator if you want to have the basics covered...

People might think: Hmmmm! Maybe in some places in pretty distant and isolated areas in the ole USA! NOT! Think long island NY, think Oranges NJ, near the beloved Poconos in penn... !

You come to a developing country like the DR and expect to have electricity 24/7 in campitos like those?

I said here once and plenty of times before: The only two places in the DR you can expect to have some sort of basic services to mirror a bit the developed world, are Santiago and Santo Domingo. Everything else around the country is decades away from having come close to being fit enough, to be called a city with basic services one can expect anything from.

You want better services? Move to a middle-upper-middle-high class neighborhood in Santiago City or Santo Domingo City (note here I don't point to the actual provinces thereto).

Caramba!!! Pero que cosas estas!

Don't take it personal windeguy! I'm just venting here! LOL!!

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Meaning of the word "campito" in Spanish????

I'm truly sorry to tell you: You moved to Cabarete, which is a distant campito in our northern coast.

Hola,

Because I'm trying to learn Spanish, I like to look up new words when I see them.

When you said "campita" in Spanish does that translate into campo + ita = "small countryside" or "suburb" in English? Maybe "village" or "hamlet," even???:confused:

Muchas Gracias,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.