DR for the first time in 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Ballard

Dec 21, 2009
Not sure yet if " The North Coast" is the correct forum for this, please excuse a first-timer if not;

My wife and I, having travelled to Cuba (Havana//Trinidad/Santa Clara) a little over two years ago (and thoroughly enjoyed it), are interested in another Caribbean break, possibly in the Puerto Plata area, March/April?

But, as neither of us are as yet in any way fluent in Spanish, we are quite frankly out of our depth outside of the main tourist/ english speaking areas.

(Our fault - accepted, but we're trying to work on it!)

Also, we've never exactly having been the typical "package-holiday" type (we've always been too independant for that) and we really like to get out and explore the country that we're in, away from the resorts and the restrictions.

The question is, is it normal, (as in safe) for us to ignore all the resorts, the touts and the Reps, and instead just go ahead and book our own holiday in (say)an apartment/timeshare and go out each night for a meal somewhere, and walk on the beach later or whatever?

Thanks in advance,
PB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Not sure yet if " The North Coast" is the correct forum for this, please excuse a first-timer if not;

My wife and I, having travelled to Cuba (Havana//Trinidad/Santa Clara) a little over two years ago (and thoroughly enjoyed it), are interested in another Caribbean break, possibly in the Puerto Plata area, March/April?

But, as neither of us are as yet in any way fluent in Spanish, we are quite frankly out of our depth outside of the main tourist/ english speaking areas.

(Our fault - accepted, but we're trying to work on it!)

Also, we've never exactly having been the typical "package-holiday" type (we've always been too independant for that) and we really like to get out and explore the country that we're in, away from the resorts and the restrictions.

The question is, is it normal, (as in safe) for us to ignore all the resorts, the touts and the Reps, and instead just go ahead and book our own holiday in (say)an apartment/timeshare and go out each night for a meal somewhere, and walk on the beach later or whatever?

Thanks in advance,
PB

If you exercise caution as you would when visiting anywhere, you should be more than safe and secure. I would suggest that you use the 'search function' on these forums to gain more knowledge of this country you plan to visit. There are a good number of condos/ apartments/ villas to rent for the duration of your holiday and you don't really need much Spanish if you are planning to be in Sosua / Cabarete area. Where are you visiting from?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Thanks in advance,
PB

Fine to book your own holiday, fine to go out for a meal (unadorned by lots of bling). Take advice about walking on the beach at night - it entirely depends on the area and how many other people are around. Not advisable to walk at night on a deserted beach.

Welcome to DR1 and enjoy your holiday. :)

Paul Ballard

Dec 21, 2009
If you exercise caution as you would when visiting anywhere, you should be more than safe and secure. I would suggest that you use the 'search function' on these forums to gain more knowledge of this country you plan to visit. There are a good number of condos/ apartments/ villas to rent for the duration of your holiday and you don't really need much Spanish if you are planning to be in Sosua / Cabarete area. Where are you visiting from?

Thankyou for your quick reply and advice.
We're in the depths of a freezing cold winter here in the U.K. at the moment, and wishing we were somewhere warmer !
You're absolutely right - I see now there's a wealth of information to be had on this site.
Should have done my homework first - sorry!

Paul Ballard

Dec 21, 2009
Fine to book your own holiday, fine to go out for a meal (unadorned by lots of bling). Take advice about walking on the beach at night - it entirely depends on the area and how many other people are around. Not advisable to walk at night on a deserted beach.

Welcome to DR1 and enjoy your holiday. :)

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
Just the thought of being cooped up in some anonymous resort for two weeks didn't appeal at all. Been there, done that, boring as hell.
Going walkies on the beach after supper is actually more Sue's thing. Since this is not a good idea in the D.R., I'm sure we can find other alternatives.
I'd much rather sit out on the balcony and drink Mojito anyway!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
People on this forum will give you some great tips on where to stay. If you could give us an idea of what is your ideal holiday it will help us narrow down the areas for you.
Where abouts in the UK are you? I came to the DR from Cornwall and have lived in Sosua for the last 5 years.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thankyou for your quick reply and advice.
We're in the depths of a freezing cold winter here in the U.K. at the moment, and wishing we were somewhere warmer !
You're absolutely right - I see now there's a wealth of information to be had on this site.
Should have done my homework first - sorry!

I did not wish to imply that you should necessarily use the 'search' function as an alternative to asking a direct question of the members on here but thought you may find additional information via that source as well.

We are also from the UK and have now lived in the DR for 3.5 years and definitely do not miss the damp, cold and miserable winters over there!!

B

BettyDiamond

no problem walking along the beach in cabarete at night -and plenty of places to eat right on the beach

Paul Ballard

Dec 21, 2009
Bl**dy hell!
They don't hang about long on this site before they log you out now do they?

OK so our last attempt (now gone into the Ether) was a bit of a long post, fair enough, but not being a modernist, sound-bites and all, all we were trying to do was thank everyone individually who replied on this thread today.

Thankyou one and all, will try and get back to you tomorrow,
P&S B

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bl**dy hell!
They don't hang about long on this site before they log you out now do they?

Think of it as pre-training for being sharp & alert in the DR ;). Seriously, you can always draft a post in your email account or on Word & copy/paste over if you are a slow, thoughful poster.

Btw, I'm another Brit. I think we tend to recognise fellow Brits, who aren't cerebrally challenged :cheeky:, from their style of writing.

sayrah

Nov 29, 2006
Hi there - Last year was our first trip to the North Coast DR, we are a family group looking for a low-key beach vacation. A great spot for a safe time on the beach is Playa Magante, just before Rio San Juan. Several different cabana places (not the sex cabanas as discussed elsewhere on DR1 ;)) are just along the beach. Some places take reservations but I'd say a couple would have no problem arriving & finding accommodations in March/April. It's just over an hour from Puerto Plata airport. If you have time, don't forget to check out the mountains near Jarabacoa!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh my people???

Yes, O Great Wise ONe??

You have forgotten to tell this Brit that Easter Week, you know? That week when every Dominican worth the name goes to the Beach for a week of prayer and fasting>>

It comes early this year, 3 April or thereabout....

Oh Mr Wise One, we had forgotten all about that....

SO, dear Paul, please book early wherever you decide to go...
Suggest you think Cabarete or Sos?a but Ri? San Juan and Cabrera are distinct possibilites and I would die for a loong week in Las Galeras...on the tippy tip tip of the peninsula..

Happy Holidays...

Oh thank you so much Great Wise One...

You are welcome, little people...we all need to help the new visitors, I was only doing my part...

HB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Oh my people???

Yes, O Great Wise ONe??

You have forgotten to tell this Brit that Easter Week, you know? That week when every Dominican worth the name goes to the Beach for a week of prayer and fasting>>

It comes early this year, 3 April or thereabout....

Oh Mr Wise One, we had forgotten all about that....

SO, dear Paul, please book early wherever you decide to go...
Suggest you think Cabarete or Sos?a but Ri? San Juan and Cabrera are distinct possibilites and I would die for a loong week in Las Galeras...on the tippy tip tip of the peninsula..

Happy Holidays...

Oh thank you so much Great Wise One...

You are welcome, little people...we all need to help the new visitors, I was only doing my part...

HB

Nice post HB! Made me grin like a demented fool. "what do you mean 'like' " I can hear JR saying LOL

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Black%20Dog%20SignResized.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.