Expat life in Santiago? ? ?

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
Hi all,

I will be moving to Santiago in March 2010 and I just would like to hear as to why some Expats chose to line in Santiago over the other areas? I have my reasons, but I would surely be interested in yours... Or even if you live elsewhere but have experiences in the great city of Santiago, what are its finer points in your eyes?

In short, for me, I like that it has big city convenience with more of a "small town" type of feel, I also like that it is not a tourist destination. BUT WHAT ABOUT YOU?:)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I chose Santiago because I have friends here. Even though I go to Sosua quite often, I couldn't take the tourista atmosphere on a daily basis. Santo Domingo, way to much hustle bussel. And being in Santiago your kinda centralized for any direction you chose to go to. PLUS...It's more down to earth here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As far as I am concerned Santo Domingo for all its flaws has a small town feel. You're always bumping into people you know - for better and for worse ;) - despite the size of the city.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
As far as I am concerned Santo Domingo for all its flaws has a small town feel. You're always bumping into people you know - for better and for worse ;) - despite the size of the city.
Santiago too!

It was in Santiago that I meant two fellow Americans that not only had lived in my birth town in Maryland, but also have lived in my adopted home town in Florida.

In total the three of us have shared four (4) cities in three states and two countries, now all living in Santiago.

What are the odds?

Don

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
My family is from Santiago and I visit often as we have interests there.
I think the weather is better, the people are nicer & the small town feel are what make it a more comfortable place to visit. I have lived in Santo Domingo and visited most of the other parts of the country as well. There are many towns with the nice people and small town feel but then they lack the International Airport, amenities of a larger city and also the tremendous development going on in Santiago. Thanks to the new airport there are many American, European and South American companies located in Santiago.
The business activity & development is unprecendented in a "small town".
I was there a few weeks ago and saw 4 towers going up on the Autopista Duarte, theres 2 huge hotels, 1 under construction & the new HOMS hospital is the largest in the Caribbean and these are all 5 minutes to the airport & 5 minutes to the center of town, right smack in the middle.
My family is selling land close to the airport & a business that we have but everybody that talks to us about it is foreigners, no native Dominicans.
Also the government is building a lot of new roads so transportation & traffic will increase AND have you seen the new mall in the center of town?
Its unreal, tremendous opportunities...

Wow! That is rally encouraging news, GREAT TO HEAR! I really look forward to making Santiago my home... Now what is behind the better weather? I thought the weather was great everywhere in the DR?