New Years Eve in SD...Where to go?

nctrader

Oct 8, 2007
Greetings Everyone!

I'm bringing the wife down to Santo Domingo, as part of work travel, and we'll be spending New Years Eve's somewhere on the island. We've been down to the DR many times before for summer vacation but this is our first end of year trip. We're in our late 30's, I'm Puerto Rican and my wife is american.

We had originally thought of something like a dinner and live music event that the Hilton Hotel is putting on that night but they're asking $350 US dollars per couple just for the meal, the room is extra! Its kinda steep for us, and probably most, but who knows.

So, we've been looking else where, specifically the all inclusive's in Punta Cana but anywhere in between SD and PC is within range

Any ideas or suggestions on a nice place to spend New Years Eve on the island? We're open to go almost anywhere from SD to Punta Cana for this day/evening event. I want something nice for the wife, that has a good meal planned, with live music, clean/safe place with good people.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i had dinner at the malecon hilton for new years last year and i thought the food was really mediocre and overpriced. it wasn't even good food for 1/4 the price.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Melia Santo Domingo has one of the best food of the hotels in the malecon.
they normally offer a buffet for dec 31st that range from 1,500-2000pesos per person, plus tax.
they are also offering a room special with breakfast for just 52dlls per person.
Melia is located in the heart of the malecon and is walkinng distance to any events along the malecon.
other good option for dinner in the malecon is Intercontinental. they has a buffets as well in the same range of price.
for party. Hotel Jaragua next door has always a party on dec.31st with several orquestas de merengue.
when this party is over, you just walk to the malecon, there will be thousands of people dancing until sunrise.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
hotel jaragua, it's there or square............just don't get the room, and no meal included so not that expensive, just pay for tickets to the show, and the price of your booze. wear your dancing shoes...............

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
so do we have you squared away? Get the room and buffet at the Melia, then go dancing at the Jaragua...

There is even a door which connects the two if you do not wish to venture out into the crowds.. ask the pool guy at the Jaragua or the doorman at the Melia.

RESERVE NOW!!!

nctrader

Oct 8, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions. We've reserved a table at the Jaragua for the night and we'll bring our dancing shoes. Happy New Year to all and thanks again for the advice!

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Maybe Avenida Venezuela would not be for the OP, but anyone looking for a true New Years Party in SD needs to look no further than Avenida Venezuela. Expect hundreds of people to fill the streets that will be closed off by police to vehicular traffic.

Last year people were dancing until 7am. From there, the party heads to the beach. If I wasnt in Lima right now, Ave. Venezuela is where I would be.

Happy New Year!