2010 Santo Domingo Carnival

Evv

Sep 5, 2009
Does any know what are the dates for the 2010 Santo Domingo Carnival? Many thanks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Does any know what are the dates for the 2010 Santo Domingo Carnival? Many thanks.
In the past it has always been the first Sunday in March. Expect a crowd and a great time. Carnaval is something you must see at least once.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

It seems that the information available is a little ambiguous-here is what i found;
Date(s): Various Dates
February 1, 2010 - February 22, 2010 *
February 27, 2010 *
February 1, 2011 - February 22, 2011 *
February 27, 2011 *
* To Be Confirmed.

Carnival comes to an end with a giant parade down the Malec?n with the Carnival King and professional dance groups on Friday 27th February this year, Independence Day in the Dominican Republic.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It seems that the information available is a little ambiguous-here is what i found;
Date(s): Various Dates
February 1, 2010 - February 22, 2010 *
February 27, 2010 *
February 1, 2011 - February 22, 2011 *
February 27, 2011 *
* To Be Confirmed.

Carnival comes to an end with a giant parade down the Malec?n with the Carnival King and professional dance groups on Friday 27th February this year, Independence Day in the Dominican Republic.

Quote from Frommers webpage "Event details can change. Please check with the organisers that the event is happening before making travel arrangements."

Seems to be the same confusion every year. Friday the 27th? Friday 2010 is the 26th or do they mean Saturday the 27th or is it really the first Sunday in March as in the past, only time will tell.

Anyone with more info please post the dates.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The parade (down the Malecon) will be on the 27th (Independence Day) but there will be festivities all that week and noone will sleep on Friday Night.

The real carnaval is in La Vega.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
El Bohio Dominicano: El Carnaval de La Vega

El Carnaval Vegano en Republica Dominicana.

YouTube - Carnaval La Vega - Dominican republic 2007

Santo Domingo has "Carnaval" parties. La Vega has "Carnaval" and people come there from all over the country. Kinda like how they've got "Mardi Gras" in other places but once you've been to N'awlins you know the difference.
Let me see if I got this right. Carnaval in La Vega is on the "wild" side. The carnaval in SD was very nice, well organized, and plenty of police around.

I also found this on another site:

El ?rea principal de celebraci?n es la amplia avenida George Washington, a orillas del Mar Caribe, en el denominado malec?n.

All? se acondicionan plazas para numerosos eventos y la zona se convierte en una enorme fiesta que se prolonga por varios d?as (t?picamente el fin de semana m?s cercano al 27 de febrero).

Foto: Gianfranco Lanzetti
Concluye con un gran desfile por el malec?n de carrozas y comparsas de colores llamativos al ritmo de merengue, deslumbrando a los espectadores y contagi?ndolos con su baile.

Hoy en d?a, hay carnavales para Febrero y para Agosto, manteniendo as? una tradici?n cultural-art?stica-social.

My Spanish is terrible to say the least but I understand this as the SD Carnaval will be the last weekend of February and NOT the first weekend of March.

El Carnaval de Santo Domingo

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The "Carnaval" in Santo Domingo is more an Independence Day celebration and I spent my first night ever (Feb 26 '06) in Santo Domingo at the Intercontinental hotel on the Malecon. As I rode in from SDQ there were about a million little Dominican flag kites flying and everybody in town was drunk and dancing in the streets (I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven). That night there was a live concert on the Malecon about half a klik from where I was staying and they partied until the Sun came up.

I don't know if it was because my head was banging but the parade sucked. It passed right in front of the hotel and it was boring military junk and seemed to me not really festive at all. Then I found out about La Vega. I was expecting something more like that.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........I don't know if it was because my head was banging but the parade sucked. It passed right in front of the hotel and it was boring military junk and seemed to me not really festive at all. Then I found out about La Vega. I was expecting something more like that.

The Carnaval I attended in SD was a Carnaval parade. I think they have the military parade and the Carnaval parade. I got a few pics I will post shortly.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........I got a few pics I will post shortly.

Carnaval Santo Domingo 2008

2ze9zxf.jpg

34sfhw6.jpg

30xeybm.jpg

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I had to dig this out....

My (after the fact) research showed me what I'd missed in La Vega the week before I travelled to Santo Domingo:

Carnaval Vegano 2006

This was what I was looking for as I actually planned the trip to Santo Domingo during Carnaval in St. Maarten a few months earlier.

A bunch of cliches come to mind

A picture is worth 1,000 words...hindsight is 20/20....

Anyway I managed to enjoy the Capital.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My (after the fact) research showed me what I'd missed in La Vega the week before I travelled to Santo Domingo:

Carnaval Vegano 2006

This was what I was looking for as I actually planned the trip to Santo Domingo during Carnaval in St. Maarten a few months earlier.

A bunch of cliches come to mind

A picture is worth 1,000 words...hindsight is 20/20....

Anyway I managed to enjoy the Capital.

Dates of events in the DR can often be misleading. I missed a merengue festival earlier this year. The information I got off of a website indicated the festival started such and such a date, a Sunday. I arrived that next day, a Monday. Well lo and behold the festival did not start that Sunday it ended that Sunday.

The best way to verify information is if someone in the DR at the time of the event posts the info.

Maybe you can make this year's SD Carnaval...............whatever date it may be......LOL

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Carnaval Vegano 2006

Beautiful pics...tx

do you know if this is in January?

This is the Official website:

CarnavalVegano.Com || Oficial WebSite

As you read it, you will see that like most things Dominican, it's shrouded in mystery about exact times and dates.

Apparently the Carnaval is celebrated in different segments during each Sunday in the month of February. I would bet that the Sunday before Independence Day would be the safest bet to plan travel for that purpose but boots on the ground would be a lot more valuable than my hunch, right now.

I'm sure that something more akin to a published schedule of events will materialize in the next few weeks as the time nears.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I admit my knowledge on this subject is limited, but I think that it needs to be restated that 'Carnival' is celebrated in many cities throughout the Dominican Republic during the month of February. La Vega is the most elaborate, but there are others, including a parade & celebration in Samana. Carnival celebrations culminate with the various cities sending a troupe to the capitol for a parade on the final weekend. This is different from the Independence Day parade which is more a military/government affair, although I have been in the capitol when the two celebrations have been merged. 28 February is Independence Day in the DR.