Barbecue

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone come across a certain type of fish that is great for the BBQ.

Im trying to find healthier BBQ options but havent tested too much of the fish here.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
any fish is easily and tastes great bbq'ed, just wrap it in some tin foil, add a few spices, lemon or whatever gets the gills going!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I'm partial to Red Snapper cooked whole on an open grill (not wrapped). Had this at Captain Cook (Bavaro) and it made lunch easily the best part of that day (and I did a lot of great stuff that day).

There's a type of vertical commercial grill with a rotating rack that you usually see in front of the best grill houses. That's what I look for.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I agree with GD... It's hard to beat whole grilled Red Snapper (called "Chillo" here). You can purchase whole or filleted Chillo, Mero/Basa/Sea Bass , and other firm-fleshed fish at most supermarkets. I just grilled a fillet of Basa I purchased at La Sirena (RD$ 59 pesos a pound). Simple olive oil, spice rub, a little limon and direct on the grill...no foil wrap (although that's a great method too, especially if you have fresh herbs). It was quick, inexpensive, tasted incredible, and muy saludable!!

Another great option is grilled shrimp...buy the larger (16-20 or 21-25) raw shrimp at the supermarket (usually around 200-350 pesos/lb). Marinate them for 20 minutes in just about any marinade, salad dressing, fruit juice, liquor, etc. (not too long or they will "cook" in the marinade, like ceviche) and put them on skewers...add pineapple, onions, and peppers if you want, grill for about 2-3 minutes...super quick, healthy and delicious...