Best (cheapest) Calling Method to DR from States w/ Cell Phone

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Curious to know what others have found.

I currently use Tel3.com and am charged .05 cents per minute to landlines

and .089 cents to mobile phones.

No connection fees and rounded to next minute.

I am sure some of you have found cheaper methods. I only call from my cellphone. So any type of plans which requires you using a landline or computer wouldnt work for me. Blackberry applications would work if anyone knows of any. Also not into using calling cards. Thanks

Reactions: Lucille

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have been using that same company for 2 years. Did a lot of research "at the time" and found none better. The prices you mention are a 30 day "only" promotional price.
Their after promotion, prices are...to landline other than Santo Domingo, 5.4 cents per..
to cell phone, 12 cents per,.. and to Santo Domingo, 3.6 cents per. All per minute.
There may be one cheaper, I couldn't find one cheaper or better.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Hey Thanks Waytogo...

They may have changed it since you joined. The promotional is .08 to cell and .035 to Landline and good for 30 days

I quoted the mobile plan. The rates you are referring to are the standard plan.

A little confusing these plans... Standard and Mobil.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Since I live in the D.R. now I personally don't use it. I just load the plan whenever money is needed. My family and friends use it to call me so it is free to them.

Feb 7, 2007
Callcentric - Callcentric - VoIP Internet phone service
landline US$ 0.0385
mobile US$ 0.09
you must have VOIP phone or adapter
Excellent call quality. I am using them now from Europe to call back to the DR.

Vonage and Lingo offer unlimited calls to landline numbers in the DR within their monthly fee of US$25

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Curious to know what others have found.

I currently use Tel3.com and am charged .05 cents per minute to landlines

and .089 cents to mobile phones.

No connection fees and rounded to next minute.

I am sure some of you have found cheaper methods. I only call from my cellphone. So any type of plans which requires you using a landline or computer wouldnt work for me. Blackberry applications would work if anyone knows of any. Also not into using calling cards. Thanks

This is the best.. Stanacard, depending how much value you put into the account.

STANA CARD ~ CALLING CARD OF THE NEXT GENERATION

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Elvis...

This Stana Card is exactly what i have been looking for. 1200 min for $50 at 4.17 cents per minute to Cell Phones. With the smart dial method. Sounds great. Thanks

rookie44

Jan 13, 2008
Vonage

I downloaded an app for my blackberry for vonage. I haven't used it yet. Has anyone tried Vonage while in the D.R.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
In the past, on related posts regarding cheap or cheapest calls to DR [both Land or Cell lines] I have recommended the calling card method. Please keep in mind I am recommending this particular card because it is available to me in the state of New York [particularly the NYC area, but it is also available in the upper parts of the state i.e. Westchester county, Orange County and or Albany]. It is available through STi [which makes many cards] and the one I happen to use is called: NY Central [see image]
http://www.getmecallingcards.com/images/calling_cards/STI_N.Y._CENTRAL_calling_card_n.gif
On a $2 USD calling card, calling a land line lasts 1 hour and 21 minutes.
Please keep in mind that some calling cards charge a connecting fee so this time stated above is if you successfully reach the person you are calling and remain on the phone with them for the duration of the calling card. If you end up using a portion of the card, they charge a connecting fee and hence the next time you use the card it will be calculated based on the remaining balance....so better make sure the person you want to talk to is available and or awaiting your call.
For those who do not want to be hassled with having to find calling cards and or dont want to pay a connecting fee there is a great new international long distance company [i believe based in Canada?] called COMWAVE.
Welcome to comwave
calls to the DR are rated by the minute, and I believe start at 4.9 cents a minute for a land line [in $ USD]. I am not sure how much a call to a cell phone costs but i want to say 14.9 cents minute. I have been a Comwave user now for 6 months and enjoy their services. Calls made from a cell are just like using a calling card, by dialing an access number followed by your personal PIN and then the number you wish to dial.
GOOD LUCK! :)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Elvis...

This Stana Card is exactly what i have been looking for. 1200 min for $50 at 4.17 cents per minute to Cell Phones. With the smart dial method. Sounds great. Thanks

Dont forget to use a referral code,(from someone like elvis) to get double value on your 1st purchase.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I tried the calling caed method and I found that I was spending about $80.00 a month and was limited with the time talking to my family in DR. So what I did was to purchase a NetTalk TK6000 and send it to my wife one time payment of $100.00 and she has a local Florida area code. We pay for the internet RD1200.00 pesos a month, so for me that was very much worth it and when she moves here she has a way of communicating with her family and unlike MagicJack it does not need a computer to work. Just High Speed internet.
Free Local and Long Distance Calling with netTALK's TK6000

negro americano

Feb 29, 2008
Stanacard

With the promotion deal that they have out right now with the free bonus minutes, stanacard is by far the best thing out there as far as i know. If you buy the max of $150 worth of minutes, you get $60 bonus minutes free. That takes you up to $210 total at a rate of 3.57 cents per minute. That's pretty hard to beat. You could talk for a little more than 30 minutes daily for 6 straight months with that. And this is for cell phones, the landline rates are even cheaper. They have the referral promotion going too where the person referring, and the person signing up both get free minutes(anyone interested?). But the deals end on the 31st of this month though, so anyone interested had best hurry. I've been using this card for a while, and have had very little to no problems at all as far as call quality goes. The only thing for me, is that the smartdial feature never seems to work for any number that i call. I still have to go the old school route of dialing an access number first. But oh well, if that's all it takes to get such a good rate, then it's alright by me.

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
Magic Jack

I use the magic jack. I bought one from here in canada, installed it and then shipped it to DR. I payed 10 dollars for a local Canadian number but it comes ith an American number. It is basically a phone jack that you plug into the computer, and the other part you plug into the phone and it gives you free calling to Canada or the US. No monthly fees. The person in DR only needs internet connection and a house phone. They don't need phone service to the phone but they just need a phone. So far it has worked great for me. hope this helps :)
Ana

Cube_in_dr

Dec 8, 2009
www.Twitter.com
Callcentric - Callcentric - VoIP Internet phone service
landline US$ 0.0385
mobile US$ 0.09
you must have VOIP phone or adapter
Excellent call quality. I am using them now from Europe to call back to the DR.

Vonage and Lingo offer unlimited calls to landline numbers in the DR within their monthly fee of US$25

I actually have the vonage app on my iphone and I use it everyday to get in contact with my gf. Unlimited calls to landline is great, really wish that applied to cell phones. I probably spend an extra 20 bucks a month just adding minutes to call cell numbers. I think its .07 a minute not too sure.

PeaceNik

Jul 4, 2010
So far cheapest I have come accross is Rebtel. I pay 4 cents (US 0.0399) when I make calls from US to DR. It appears to be a good deal for quite a few countries in the world. So far I have been quite happy. There is no connection fees. The way it works is like this.

1- Register with Rebtel at Cheap International Calls From Rebtel

2- Add your contacts ...they are all assigned a local US number

3- Add credit to your account $10 or 25.00 using credit card. I prefer using Paypal this way my credit card or debit car info is only in place.

4- Now whenever you want to talk to your family in DR or wherever you just dial a local US number. So you can call from your cell phone or your landline phone, you just have to register the number you will be calling from with Rebtel that is how they authenticate you. The rates and concept are quite impressive.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
So far cheapest I have come accross is Rebtel. I pay 4 cents (US 0.0399) when I make calls from US to DR. It appears to be a good deal for quite a few countries in the world. So far I have been quite happy. There is no connection fees. The way it works is like this.

1- Register with Rebtel at Cheap International Calls From Rebtel

2- Add your contacts ...they are all assigned a local US number

3- Add credit to your account $10 or 25.00 using credit card. I prefer using Paypal this way my credit card or debit car info is only in place.

4- Now whenever you want to talk to your family in DR or wherever you just dial a local US number. So you can call from your cell phone or your landline phone, you just have to register the number you will be calling from with Rebtel that is how they authenticate you. The rates and concept are quite impressive.

The Rebtel rates say 7.9 cents to most landlines, 9.9 cents to mobiles, very few landlines are 4.9 cents.

Stanacard.com is 4.9 cents to all landlines and 8.9 cents to all mobiles. They use the same direct dial system. Also, get 1/2 price if you use referral code 368073.

Last edited: