I Am Offended !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
DR1 purports itself to be a forum, about the Dominican Republic, where those (of different and diverse cultures, countries, ethnticities etc.) who live and or come to visit, or simply have an interest in the Dominican Republic can come together and express their views.

That is at least what I thought!

Recently a poster who from what I can gather, may have or may not have been kicked off in the past for some type of discretions, unknown to me, nor do I care, has decided to post under the handle of "Littleblacksambo" He has claimed that the reason for this is that it was one of his favorite children stories as he grew up, that being the reason for the handle. Whether that is the truth or not the handle is offensive to many, myself obviously included. This has been made know on this forum by posters, myself included, but yet our feelings have been ignored and deemed not important, I am not asking that this poster be denied membership to the forum, but I do believe that some sensitivity in regards to others feelings, their history etc. should be considered. After all we could all post things that are racially insensitive to others, if we wanted to, but what then would become of this forum.

You at DR1 do as you will with this issue, but I assure you, I for one will be watching, and I am sure I am not alone in regards to this. The only reason I felt the need to start a thread, is because other times it was mentioned, it appeared that the sentiments were ignored, so be it, now I will put it in your face!!!

For those of you who don't understand my outrage let me spell it out for you!!!:

In the US though, the word ?sambo? has been used to demean and degrade Africans and African-Americans alike. ?Sambo? was a common slave name in the US, and the late 19th century children?s book The Story of Little Black Sambo is cited as furthering the word as a slur. While the book was set in southern Indian, it did play on the blackface iconography and African-American intellectuals have been critical of the pickaninny motifs.
Here is the Online Etymology Dictionary?s entry for ?Sambo?:
Sambo (2)
stereotypical name for male black person (now only derogatory), 1818, Amer.Eng., probably a different word from sambo (1); like many such words (Cuffy, Rastus, etc.) a common personal name among U.S. blacks in the slavery days (first attested 1704 in Boston), probably from an African source, cf. Foulah sambo ?uncle,? or a similar Hausa word meaning ?second son.? Used without conscious racism or contempt until circa World War II. When the word fell from polite usage, collateral casualties included the enormously popular children?s book ?The Story of Little Black Sambo? (by Helen Bannerman), which actually is about an East Indian child, and the Sambo?s Restaurant chain, a U.S. pancake-specialty joint originally opened in Santa Barbara, Calif., in 1957 (the name supposedly from a merging of the names of the founders, Sam Battistone and Newell ?Bo? Bohnett, but the chain?s decor and advertising leaned heavily on the book), which once counted 1,200 units coast-to-coast. Civil rights agitation against it began in 1970s and the chain collapsed, though the original restaurant still is open. Many of the defunct restaurants were taken over by rival Denny?s.

included in the loaded ?sambo? term are things like blackface and other tropes like unkempt hair and watermelons?tropes used to degrade and oppress African-Americans into simple, comical characters. In short, to dehumanise and objectify. From the post-Civil War era, food items like fried chicken and watermelon were used to stereotype ?darkey? African-Americans. The popular culture depiction of African-Americans during the late 19th and early 20th century was stuffing their faces with watermelons and gnawing on fried chicken.

There was even a New Jersey brand of watermelon called ?Sambo brand?.
The watermelon images and ?sambo? slurs reduced African-Americans to two-dimensional characters. Similar ?sambo? and watermelon imagery have been used by those unhappy with President Obama. As The Chicago Sun-Times? Mary Mitchell writes, ?The smiling ?darkey? eating watermelon was a popular image during America?s racist past, and was the one of the stereotypes used by Obama-haters during the presidential campaign?.
Both ?sambo? and the image of a watermelon carry the baggage of the American experience regarding racism. There is a connection between them. A long, painful and oppressive one.

I hope you consider this and do the right thing!!!!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I agree. Its like picking an name which would be derogatory to Italians "fatlittleguido" and explaining it away "Oh, But I do like Italian cuisine, so its not as offensive as you make it out be."
And they still use Sambo in many south american countries to refer to the black people there, but they call them Zambos

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Even with that said, It is still being sold in it's entirety, from the original author,
Helen Bannerman on E-bay and Amazon.com...and current re written versions with the same name. It hasn't been banned as yet.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Even with that said, It is still being sold in it's entirety, from the original author,
Helen Bannerman on E-bay and Amazon.com...and current re written versions with the same name. It hasn't been banned as yet.

Nobody requested any body be banned, what was requested was for sensitivity in this community which we all belong to (a simple change of handle would do that, or am I to assume that in the future others can use handles that other groups may find offensive?), that is all, and the reasons for that request have been cited, if some has reasons opposed to mine, please voice them.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
DR1 is run by a brit and a dominican, so they probably didn't catch this. i didn't.

i'm sure they'll change it.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Nobody requested any body be banned, what was requested was for sensitivity in this community which we all belong to (a simple change of handle would do that, or am I to assume that in the future others can use handles that other groups may find offensive?), that is all, and the reasons for that request have been cited, if some has reasons opposed to mine, please voice them.

I do agree, It is offensive...I was saying the book hasn't been banned as yet.
Most people outside of the U.S probably won't understand.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
I now owe an apology to all those that felt offended by words that I used on DR1.com...please forgive me for calling you canoucks, krauts, froggies, rosbifs, borinquenos, gringos, morenos ...sorry if I failed to mention any group that I insulted yet I failed to remember.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I do agree, It is offensive...I was saying the book hasn't been banned as yet.
Most people outside of the U.S probably won't understand.

I am sorry, I mistook your post, didn't mean to jump on you, but seeing that and having been called that while growing up on occasions (for the most hateful of reasons by those who knew nothing about me or what I stood for), it evokes powerful emotions. I also am very glad to say, I don't think many now, would dare to say those types of things to me any more at least not to my face;).

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
I'm with Yayow. It's an offensive term. Maybe those that aren't from the US don't understand just how offensive.

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
I could not agree more. Many people don't understand the history behind the language nor the sterotype comments/slurs. Which is why I get so upset when I hear a person using the word "nigger" to refer to another, especially when it's used by most in the black community.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Racism ?!? You fellows haven't visited good old Germany...and I am talking about racism against Eastern European whites...

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
Racism ?!? You fellows haven't visited good old Germany...and I am talking about racism against Eastern European whites...

Well I didn't comment on racism. I do believe what you are saying, most Europeans treat Gypsies like dirt, which that case has nothing to do with color but with the actual race. I really don't think the person meant to be offensive by using the name.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I now owe an apology to all those that felt offended by words that I used on DR1.com...please forgive me for calling you canucks, krauts, froggies, rosbifs, borinquenos, gringos, morenos ...sorry if I failed to mention any group that I insulted yet I failed to remember.

Anything you Bolsheviks say is taken with a grain of salt.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007

Doesn't make it right no matter where it rears it's ugly head. Whether unintentional or not, it has reared it ugly head here.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lost

I am not American.
'Politically correct' came into my vocabularly some years ago.
Now I stumbled over a new problem:
Why do black people refer to themselves (in reggaet?n music and certain movies) as 'niggers'?
I learned at school that it's not nice to call them that...

donP

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
...... I really don't think the person meant to be offensive by using the name.

Well that is good, but if it was me and someone pointed it out to me that it is a bit offensive, and by the way it was pointed out before this thread, I would take the high road and say, "I didn't mean to offend" and pick another handle, this is not a difficult thing. And it is that easy, so what is the problem??? Why hasn't that been done??

Littleblacksambo

Dec 29, 2009
Have you ever read the story?

The story of Little Black Sambo is of a small boy that outsmarts some nefarious tigers and triumphs over a seemingly disastrous situation. I have always found the story inspiring.

DR1, as far as I know, stands for Dominican Republic 1, not United States 1. Apparently this is a USA politically correct hangup. Maybe you should shield yourself better from things that offend you.

If you get the chance, try loosening up and reading the story, you may learn something.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I agree with Yayow. I think you could argue its more offensive than the word "n****r", since it hasn't been de-sensitized by hip-hop and pop culture. Its definitely on the list of Top 3 Words That Will Cause An African-American To Beat You Down. Furthermore, anybody who would choose that word for a handle would certainly understand its underlying significance. Make him change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.