Thread: Moving to the Dominican Republic

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving to the Dominican Republic

Ross Weber's book Moving to the Dominican Republic: The Paradox of Paradise is about the hilarious yet serious lessons learned by an American who moved to the Dominican Republic. It is a must read for anyone who has wondered what it would be like to live in the Caribbean.

Ross uses real life experiences to describe the culture shock and other setbacks of making the transition from living in the United States to living in the Dominican Republic. The book includes both personal stories as well as unique observations to describe the ups and downs of living on an Island.

Moving to the Dominican Republic

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered it. Anxiously awaiting...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

I am loving this book so far, but where was it 3 years ago when I met my husband and starting splitting my time between Canada and DR? lol

Thanks for suggesting it!

CAT

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out the ebook version a couple of weeks ago it was a very informative & interesting read

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Book - moving to DR

I purchased the e-book (pdf) and finished it in one sitting. Overall a good read. I found a lot of truth in the info. Only one problem is the idea that you can get away with what you want with enough confidence. Thats okay when it comes to police stopping you but not so good when you are cutting in front of other people in line just because they are unaware.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by nygoesdr View Post
    I purchased the e-book (pdf) and finished it in one sitting. Overall a good read. I found a lot of truth in the info. Only one problem is the idea that you can get away with what you want with enough confidence. Thats okay when it comes to police stopping you but not so good when you are cutting in front of other people in line just because they are unaware.
    I ordered the book and read it relatively fast. While I thought it had some really good tips and some funny stories. I did not care for the entitlement of cutting in front of people if you have enough confidence. To me it was one thing with airline elite line because if you have flown enough to get the status you should be allotted some perks, but to do it for every situation. Just seemed like the typical American arrogance that we think we deserve higher priority in all countries.

Despite my dislike of that part it was a very informative book and had some really good tips for what like would be like living in the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Moving To Dominican Republic

I bought Ross’s and got a kick out of it. As an American contemplating making the move to the Dominican Republic I felt his book may help in one form or another with the transition. I have my Cedula and Residency and now am looking into the real estate. I found the title of the book to be profound as I have always wondered about the love hate relationship I have with DR. I used to ask is it me, am I doing something wrong? In that regard I found it re-assuring that I was not the only one who wrestles with the culture of the island. His humorous situations and solutions are helpful in understanding the dynamics of the area. My love of that island makes me drive forward thru the frustrations that arise there. And I hope to find some peace and tranquility there at a fair price that is sustainable. Because for every shortcoming there, you can find that Island also excels. You have to work at it to find it. Lean as much as you can from as many as you can. Think of your integration as more of an art than a science.
    His addition and description of the importance of an exit plan is a fine example of a tactical thinker and great piece of advice to avoid a mistake. Advise I am sure many wish they had before committing time and money. The resources listed within are pertinent and do point you in the right direction.
    To sum it up, I liked Ross Weber’s book “Moving to the Dominican Republic” and the style of his writing kept my interest. I recommend reading it. I recommend reading it strongly for those considering the move. I felt in it an honest effort to help those who may be moving out there. Those bit by the DR bug. Good Job on that Ross

Joe M, USA, NYC

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,
    Great book by Ross Weber's. I will say an open invitation of Dominican Republic.
    It took fears of those who are willing to shift to Dominican Republic.