Romantic Getaway to Samana?!?!?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hi

I went to Samana maybe 6 or 7 years ago now with a friend and we had a great day doing the Whale watching. I live in Higuey and my partner has suggested a long weekend away next month so i was wondering if i could pick your brains.

Is mid Feb a good time to spot the Whales? I realize its probably hit or miss but i really would like to know the best time to go for a sporting chance.

I would like to stay at an All inclusive resort, can someone recommend a nice hotel for a romantic getaway. Is there only the Bahia Principe?

Any other suggestions for a night out or suggestions for things we really shouldnt miss would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Las Galeras as an alternative

Gran Bahia is the only all-inclusive in Samana. There is Gran Paradise Samana(formerly Casa Marina Bay) in Las Galeras. There is whale watching from Las Galeras as well and the town of Las Galeras is more pleasant than Samana.

We have a bed and breakfast in Las Galeras, if you decide to not do an all-inclusive:

Hotel and Bed and Breakfast Las Galeras, Samana, Dominican Republic

Enjoy your stay!

Catherine

Feb 7, 2007
Hi Laura nice to see you back on the board, haven't seen you posting for some time ...

There are only Bahia Principes in Samana area, there are BP Portillo, BP Cayacoa, BP Cayo Levantado. They are three separate hotels. Cayo is luxurious but not much to do, it's secluded on an island. I did go once, and I was bored. I think Portillo (the one on the hill) is the best deal.

If you have car, make sure you go to Playa Ricon, and you go to Salto Limon. Both worth a visit.

P.S. I hope you are well and once I get back to Higuey I will ring you up.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Gran Bahia is the only all-inclusive in Samana. There is Gran Paradise Samana(formerly Casa Marina Bay) in Las Galeras. There is whale watching from Las Galeras as well and the town of Las Galeras is more pleasant than Samana.

We have a bed and breakfast in Las Galeras, if you decide to not do an all-inclusive:

Hotel and Bed and Breakfast Las Galeras, Samana, Dominican Republic

Enjoy your stay!

Catherine

Thank you Catherine, Its definatly an option. Thank you for the info i will take at look at the website with my partner and will let you know very soon if we decide to stay with you!

Thanks again

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Hi Laura nice to see you back on the board, haven't seen you posting for some time ...

There are only Bahia Principes in Samana area, there are BP Portillo, BP Cayacoa, BP Cayo Levantado. They are three separate hotels. Cayo is luxurious but not much to do, it's secluded on an island. I did go once, and I was bored. I think Portillo (the one on the hill) is the best deal.

If you have car, make sure you go to Playa Ricon, and you go to Salto Limon. Both worth a visit.

P.S. I hope you are well and once I get back to Higuey I will ring you up.

I looked at the BP cayo and like it very much, I am wanting to totally relax so being bored wont be a problem.

By all means pop by when you are in the area, be nice to see you.

x

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Whale watching in Samana

Laurajane,
You may want to consider staying at my place. It is not all inclusive, but you have a private beach, and you can sometimes spot the whales from my front porch, or the pool. The Coves, Samana, Dominican Republic
You can see my listing on this site under rentals in Las Galeras.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Pat