Experience with late birth declarations

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
Im hoping some of you who have gone thru the CDN PR process can help me with some advice on dealing with the late birth declaration issue...specifically what any of you may have provided as secondary documents of proof of identity and even MORE specifically...what you did if you couldnt get ANYTHING...

Our situation - we rcvd an email from PAP saying that they are ready to finalize my husbands file, but in order to do so we need to provide secondary documents for proof of identity....he was declared 12 yrs after his birth.

We're at our wits end now...his parents have NO such documents as the house was destroyed some years ago. Was not baptized. Not born in a hospital. First primary school doesnt exist anymore. ect...

We did manage to get ONE certification letter from a primary school he attended for ONE year prior to his declaration (and the school found an old report card they gave us), and we had a notarized statement drawn up signed by his dad and 7 witnesses..

Im hesitant to send these in - it's not what they are asking for, but then again, we CANT get what they are asking for.

Can those of you who went thru this issue please share some advice.

Thanks.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Welome SBT,

I might suggest emailing PAP and explaining what you have found and asking if that is sufficient to submit.

You can't provide what doesn't exist but if you provide an acceptable explanation and submit what you can find, they may accept it.

Good Luck!
Sangria

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
certified copies

If you don't get an answer right away I would definately send what you've got.

Include fotocopies of the cedulas of your 7 witnesses and explain their relationship to your husband. Have the oaths certified by a lawyer or notary. Get the documents (letter and school transcript) translated and have certified copies made (so you can keep a set).

I assume you have already sent in certified true copies of his cedula and passport? How about a driver's license? Any old family fotos of him and his parents? An old pay stub, letter from the bank (you can request a letter from the bank that will just say he is an account holder in good standing) or any gov. document in his name. And include an explanatory letter...

Im my case my husband has sisters from same mother and father (both deceased) who were declared with birthdates 4 months apart :ermm: we sent in a explanatory letter for that because there is nothing more we can do. I'm sure they have seen cases like this before.

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you both for your reply's.

I've sent off an e-mail to Haiti - Will see what they say.

Wow, Tiguerita...that situation with your sisters in law is too funny, in a sad way. Sounds just like something my father in law would have done...

We've already sent in most of the stuff you suggested, and added to that, he has had numerous Canadian and American Visa's, he is currently in Canada and has a 10 yr US visa. We sent copies of all his current and past visa's and passports as well....so what they are really looking for is stuff before he was declared, that just dont exist!

It ticks me off that this situation is holding up the finalization of the file! I wanna strangle my dear suegro ; )

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
I have the same situation with my honey but in his case its 5 yrs. I will be submitting in the next month and will be including the following:
-declaracion jurada from his father explaining why he was registered late
-baptism certificate
-school certificate basico and secundario

Hopefully, this will be sufficient!!!