Best place to stay in SD

janaluna

Jan 5, 2010
Hello everybody!

My boyfriend and I are going to the DR and we will spend 3 days in SD. We are mostly interested in History and culture (rather than nightlife). Then I have some questions:

1) Where is the best neighbourhood to stay (safe to walk, quiet, near some historical sites?)?

2) Does anyone know a nice budget hotel/hostel/B&B in such a place?

3) Would it be necessary to rent a car to check historical sites?

Thanks a lot!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Hello everybody!

My boyfriend and I are going to the DR and we will spend 3 days in SD. We are mostly interested in History and culture (rather than nightlife). Then I have some questions:

1) Where is the best neighbourhood to stay (safe to walk, quiet, near some historical sites?)?

Thanks a lot!

The Colonial Zone is your best bet. It is "quiet and safe." You can walk everywhere and the monuments are right there. The Coco Boutique Hotel is small and reasonably priced. There a few other places in this area. Gazcue also has some reasonable places like Duque Wellington, Meson Gatreuax, Hotel Riazor (sp?) etc.

Lu

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
The Jaragua Renaissance (89 bucks including a decent breakfast in the garden section). Very civilized and very good level of cust service.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This site is a good resource for hotels in and around the Colonial Zone...also for restaurants and things to do:

Hotels Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Definitely don't rent a car, as there is a lot to see and do within that area and taxis are relatively inexpensive (150-200 pesos pretty much anywhere in the city) if you want to explore outside of the Colonial Zone.

I usually use Apolo Taxi: 809 537 0000

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
The Best...

This site is a good resource for hotels in and around the Colonial Zone...also for restaurants and things to do:

Hotels Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Definitely don't rent a car, as there is a lot to see and do within that area and taxis are relatively inexpensive (150-200 pesos pretty much anywhere in the city) if you want to explore outside of the Colonial Zone.

I usually use Apolo Taxi: 809 537 0000

Apolo is the best Taxi Company in the city, in my experience. They are professional and safe, and their drivers are prompt. If using taxis in the city, this is the best option.

Lu

Reactions: DavidZ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hello everybody!

Colonial Zone or Gazcue

$50 a night or $100 a night

you will not need a car. just about anywhere you will want to go is a $5 taxi ride

Thanks a lot!

hope this helps

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Well, I have stayed at two hotels that I would recommend that are in the Colonial Zone, reasonably priced, and well managed. The Mercure, which is on El Conde and a few blocks from Parque Colon, and the Hotel Discovery, which is directly across from Parque Independencia. The rooms are not spacious but adequate and worth the price, imo. Breakfast is included at the Mercure. If you decide to book at the Mercure request an interior room as it can get a bit noisy at night on the weekends.

janaluna

Jan 5, 2010
Hello, folks!
Thank you very much for all those tips! I?ve checked the hotels you told me and they seem all very nice! One of them (of which Lu told, Coco Boutique Hotel) is very well rated at tripadvisor.
;)

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Mercure

Well, I have stayed at two hotels that I would recommend that are in the Colonial Zone, reasonably priced, and well managed. The Mercure, which is on El Conde and a few blocks from Parque Colon, and the Hotel Discovery, which is directly across from Parque Independencia. The rooms are not spacious but adequate and worth the price, imo. Breakfast is included at the Mercure. If you decide to book at the Mercure request an interior room as it can get a bit noisy at night on the weekends.

I had my cell phone stolen at the Mercure (from my room) and they really showed no interest in helping me out... I'm no longer a fan.

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Hi janaluna I just came back & spent 6 nights at Coco Boutique Hotel and for a very good rate (delicious breakfast included) all I can say is I wanted to live there. Their rate is listed on their website and I wouldn't hesitate to pay that & more to stay there again. Loved everything about it.
I'm very picky and have a huge phobia of animals & insects and if I saw 3 ants & a few flies the whole time I was there it was the most I saw during our stay. The staff was super friendly, informative & your belongings will be 100% safe there. I recommend that at night it is best if you take a left from the hotel entrance and walk up the street Las Damas ... better lit than the other ones and lots of people out & about so it is safe. You won't need a car.