Barahona

jessilin

May 6, 2009
I'm looking to go to Barahona at the end of January for 2 nights. My parents are coming into town and my dad loves to take pictures of scenery, birds and native animals. I'm reading all the forums and have done some research on hotels and tours. I was wondering though, is this something that I can do on my own, to discover Las Aguillas, Lake Enriquillo and Lake Oviedo, or is it best to go along with a tour.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: mike l

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Good choice to visit this spectacular area.

I strongly suggest doing it on your own (I am assuming you have your own vehicle?). It is very doable and we found the the roads out there pretty decent.
Since the places you have picked are in opposite directions, I recommend doing Lago Enriquillo/surrounding area on one day and Laguna Oviedo/Bahia de las Aguillas on the second day. Its a fair bit of driving but well worth it IMO.

Be sure to have a meal at La Cueva either before or after your boat trip out to BDLA.

Enjoy and feel free to PM for any other info

Feb 15, 2005
My recommendation is to travel to Pedernales early and stay in town.. this way you can go half day to Hoyo De Pelempito (The Grand Canyon of DR), and Bahia De Las Aguilas in the afternoon for a swim when the temperature is a little cooler.

Stay one more night and leave in the morning back to Barahona, on the way, you can catch Oviedo. I think that trying to do Lago Enriquillo as well is very ambitious, since it is a distance from the others.

Personally I favor Lago Enriquillo and Perdenales and skip Oviedo altogether.

Pedernales (Bahia)/Oviedo CAN be done in one day but not really enjoyed.

The other option is do Bahia one day come back and do Lago Enriquillo the next. But doing Oviedo/Bahia, this time of year is rough because day light is shorter

Last edited:

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
looks like you've already been given great advice - so enjoy your time - this is one of the most spectacular areas on the island (if not the best) and my favourite place to stay in - though I may be slightly biased due to having family in the area - I have so many great memories there. try to fit in San Rafael as well on your travels.

Reactions: mike l

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Barahona- Oviedo Road

The Road between Barahona and Oviedo is spectacular. There are many places to pull off and take photos. It is much nicer if you are in your own car as you can stop whenever you see something to photograph or just take in the scenery. If you do stop at these scenic turn offs please be carefull and keep you eyes open. Several times I have been out there I have heard reports of people being robbed in the scenic rest areas. The roads for the most part are very good, though like anywhere in the DR the driver needs to pay attention to the road. That is the down side of driving youself. I did it several times in a rented taxi from Baraona and was able to watch the scenery and not the road. This is a copy of my information about the taxi from another thread. " I located the card that I got from the taxi driver we used several times to and from hotels on the coast and one time all the way to Hoyo Pelempito. He helped us negociate a moto trip for the last couple of miles of unpassable road to the observation tower. He took us shopping at Jacobo and out to Los Patos. He was always puntual and friendly and we never had any problems with him. He is based in Barahona and he speaks only spanish. COMPANIA DE TAXI CHALLENGER Cell#809-465-5644. His name is Antonio Bello and he drives a 7 passanger minivan with his company name on the side. He makes a habit of meeting the Caribetours bus to get passangers."

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Great Shots

Great photos! When I look at them I really want to hop on a plane tonight and head down there. It really is a beautiful part of the country. As it is I won't get back that way until April.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Fabulous Cobra! Where did you take the photos of the Taino paintings?
Cuevas de Pomier. There are hundreds of Taino paintings there.

I'm not sure it's open to the public yet. We got special permission.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Wow. I have been fascinated by the history of the Taino and thier art for a long time. It's a good thing that the powers that be are taking care to preserve it. Can you share what steps are necessary in order to obtain permission to visit the sites?