Justifying drinking curfews...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Justifying drinking curfews

The Ministry of Interior and Police has published statistics that back up their arguments for maintaining time limits on drinking in public places. According to the statistics published in paid advertisements in several local newspapers, from January to November 2009 58.37% of all homicides happened at night. The number of homicides from 6pm to 5:59am was 1,255 compared to 838 from 6am to 5:59pm. Furthermore, 57.8% (1,243) of the victims were young people between the ages of 18 and 34, and 91.6% of these were men. The day of the week with the largest number of homicides was Sunday, with 21% (this is said to be the early morning after Saturday partying), followed by Monday with 17%, Saturday 15% and Friday 13%. The Ministry says that the numbers demonstrate the need to strengthen the controls on drinking hours in public places.

+++
Got that from front page.

Only in the DR gov establishes a drinking curfew and removes it for "holiday" periods. What kind of crap is that? And now with this "study" they are saying they should strengthen the curfew? So what? now instead of 2am on weekends it'll be 12am? I don't live there but this kind of crap makes no sense to me. Give me a break!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I hate it

I dont get it either Tigre. I love DR for its night life and dancing and hate it when things close down at midnight [Mon - Thurs]. I am surprised this curfew is still being enforced...I hate it :angry:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I dont get it either Tigre. I love DR for its night life and dancing and hate it when things close down at midnight [Mon - Thurs]. I am surprised this curfew is still being enforced...I hate it :angry:

Damn, no more vodka after 12:00am :( lol

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Actually I think this drinking curfew is a great thing... They should enforce it on holidays as well...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
just go out earlier lol...or you get to the stage in the uk where everyone goes out at 1-2am now.If you go out earlier you dont see anyone in the clubs.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

I understand that for some of the people that live there it is a great thing. But for people like you and I who go on vacation it sucks!!! I miss the days when I would start getting ready at 11pm to go out for a night of dancing and spending time with friends to get home at the wee hours of the morning. Or better yet...picking up when the sun comes up and go directly to the beach.

Like David Z said 12 - 2 is silly but liveable. But if they lower it even more I think people won't react in a good way to this. When this whole thing started I (like many others) thought it was one of those "things(laws)" in the DR that never gets enforced. Boy was I wrong. uuuggghhhh!!!!!

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
That's the most stupid thing Franklyn Almeyda could do, they are just lazy, they want to kill the mouse with a bazooka, instead of increasing the police presence in colmadones, they just resort to hurt more the populace trying to fix a problem.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Check this they will have to close @ 11:00 pm now and on the weekends @12:00 pm

When will they shutdown everthing?

As soon as The Cardinal orders it to be shutdown.

If there's one "law" that I absolutely detest and one of the reasons why Leonel now doesn't have my vote is this forced curfew. If it was actually reducing crime then maybe I would be for it, but they know and participate in the root if the increase in crime (the drug business) and there's no curfew for that and there's no curfew for them.

I hate it when people say "go out earlier"...well I don't feel like going out earlier and I don't want to be told when I can be out by some old foggy. This is just another case of using their archaic minds to repress everyone else. Just like the police setting up a roadblock anywhere they please, stopping and inconveniencing everyone, with machine guns ready (like we're at war)...Great for tourism :tired:

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
...they just resort to hurt more the populace ...
Not true... Polulace is very glad to have some quiet time with less drunks hangin'around in the streets (in the barrios, the bedroom is usually on the streetside). Get those bars & colmadones closed as early as possible, it is good. Less loud music blaring, this a a fantastic gift for people in the barrios. As strange as it may sound, there are a lot of them who don't enjoy music played THAT loud, all night long...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Agreed

I understand that for some of the people that live there it is a great thing. But for people like you and I who go on vacation it sucks!!! I miss the days when I would start getting ready at 11pm to go out for a night of dancing and spending time with friends to get home at the wee hours of the morning. Or better yet...picking up when the sun comes up and go directly to the beach.

Like David Z said 12 - 2 is silly but liveable. But if they lower it even more I think people won't react in a good way to this. When this whole thing started I (like many others) thought it was one of those "things(laws)" in the DR that never gets enforced. Boy was I wrong. uuuggghhhh!!!!!

I hear you Tigre, I totally dislike it when I go on vacation whether it is visiting friends or family in DR and have to succumb to this curfew. Dont get me wrong, I have fun anywhere on the island but if I end up going to la capital and avenida Venezuela only to be kicked out at midnight....it really ticked me off. I am like you, I start getting ready or get the ball rolling at 11pm...sigh. Lately my thing in DR is just having fun in the campos and not really worry about curfews...just party in peace in the campo and or beaches! :cheeky:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Not true... Polulace is very glad to have some quiet time with less drunks hangin'around in the streets (in the barrios, the bedroom is usually on the streetside). Get those bars & colmadones closed as early as possible, it is good. Less loud music blaring, this a a fantastic gift for people in the barrios. As strange as it may sound, there are a lot of them who don't enjoy music played THAT loud, all night long...

Nop, you cannot label yourself or the ones that go to bed at 8:00 PM as the populace, the only ones that are glad with this new rule are the 55 years old and up crowd, everybody else is really ****ed off. If you are bothered by the noise in a barrio, well you are living in a barrio in the first place, move to a quieter place.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I stop drinking whenever I want to!! You guys need to find places where you get beers and all kind of alcoholic drinks served in foam cups with cap & straw.
you'll have to pay a little be more of course as they are taking a risk.

JJ

Reactions: Tamborista

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
drinking curfew, me no care for drinking curfew. Me stopped drinking a yr ago.
hahahaha.
do what i did, stop drinking and live longer and healthier.
But on the serious note, this new law will kill the remaining bars/discos and restaurants in many places.
AZB

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
so im trying to follow along here...

This IS in effect NOW?

ie: clubs on pedro clisante will be closing at 11 on weekedays and 12 on weekends? and no drinking after midnight??

really?

really?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
No is NOT in effect, Almeyda just turn down that rumor which was unveiled by an Almeyda subordinate. In my previous post is the link pertaining that.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Nop, you cannot label yourself or the ones that go to bed at 8:00 PM as the populace, the only ones that are glad with this new rule are the 55 years old and up crowd, everybody else is really ****ed off. If you are bothered by the noise in a barrio, well you are living in a barrio in the first place, move to a quieter place.
This is simply not true. Most folks here are working class, and they don't enjoy drunks listening to very loud music all night long. It has nothing to do with going to bed at 8:00pm or being older than 55... It has nothing to do with where I personally live. Face it, it is a fact.
Only drunks and bar-owners are bothered with this law...