info; samana, galeras and terrenas

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Happy new years everyone. It's snowing and cold in Canada Calgary,..brrrr:laugh:
I had originally posted these questions in the north coast catergory, :confused:but i guess, this is a better place to ask the next questions.:cool:
Wanted to know a few things,how far is samana, galeras and las terrena from each other and wich one is better. I have a house in Cabrera. Will be going with my wife and kid, 4yrs old, for 2 to 3 nights. I have been to samana once, about 10 years ago, only for one night.
What is there for attractions and anything you can mention would be appreciated, hotel cheap one, but safe,.. we are not to fussy, restaurant, places to see etc,...at all three places if possible.
I have looked on the internet but,...better to hear from people that have been there or live there. Thank 's for your time and thank you for your time.

Pyth0s

Dec 8, 2009
Las Terrenas

Las Terrenas is a nice idea for you. Closer to Cabarete as well. El Limon Waterfalls are something worth seeing. Whale Watching, beautifull beaches and you get a nice little taste of Europe as most of the businesses are run by ExPats.

I am staying the first week of Feb in a small Villa Residence called Las Palmas Residence. Las Palmas Residence - Las Terrenas - Pen?nsula de Samana

They also have one called Las Palmas al Mar (This one has a Pool)
Las Palmas al mar - Residence frente al mar - Las terrenas - Saman? - Rep?blica Dominicana -

They come with 3 Beds, two floors at a very reasonable price. And the one without a pool is very close to town (Yet might be a little noisier because of it) The Al Mar is a little further up the road and would probably offer less noise. But these do not include food and such, but you do have a kitchenette.

There is also an AI named The Alligio Beach Hotel which is in the same area as well.

Here's another great side that shows other AIs
Las Terrenas All Inclusive - TravelPod

Cheers!

Pyth0s

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Las Galeras, hands down!

I have stayed in Samana city (not quiet/noisey roosters/no nice beach to walk to), and in La'Galera'. I prefer LG for the quiet, seemed safer, great beaches by foot, better beach (Rincon) by boat or other crazy method.

I took a guagua from LG to Samana's market (a trip!) where I hopped another to LT.

LT had spas, nicer nail/hair places, upper end restaurants with real service, in short all a Frenchman would insist upon.

But, locals in all 3 places told me that LT is much more segregated: expats vs. locals, and that LG and Samana have better integration and less nasty crime.

I found Lt a nice escape, and relished the customer service for once, baguettes, and espresso. Good day trip.

I would only stay in LG from now on, and guagua to anywhere else. You can get to Samana quickly, or Salta de Limon falls, and be back for dinner. Though pay attention to the time (5pm or 6pm) of the last guagua out of Samana - very important. It IS the last, and while I did hitch a motoconcho at night once, that was my first and last time.

Any questions, PM me. And if any of these details have changed, fellow posters, please correct me.

Have a lovely time and post a trip report will ya?

-- Sammy, dreamin' of Samana

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
How are the beaches in LG and can you access them on foot? I know you can get to Playa Rincon by boat, but I wondered about being able to walk to other beaches from the village.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Additional to Playa Rincon you find some small nice beaches around LG: La Playita (easily to reach), Playa Colorado, Playa Madame, Playa Fronton, to Madame and Fronton you can take a watertaxi from LG, too.

If I remember right, there?re already other threads in this forum dealing this questions.

Saludos

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Boat to the limon falls?

thank you for all the info, it's great to hear from people that have experienced it and have been there. My little girl is 3.5yrs old, is there a boat to the falls with a small walk. I read somewhere you can get a horse but, a lot of steep hills. Please let me know how much is it per person. Again, thank you for all the info.;)

Last edited: