Where to stay in Bahoruco

nuggybuggy

Jan 8, 2010
We are going to Bahoruco on Monday for a few days and need to know where to stay. We are going to the larimar mine. Any place to stay nearby would be good. Thanks

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Hotel Pontevedre

The Hotel Pontevedre is pretty close. Aparta Hotel Pontevedra If you do a search you will find information about it in DR1. Great view, pool and employees. The excellent price( RD2500 for 2) includes breakfast and dinner served at the poolside bar overlooking the incredibly blue ocean, beach and white cliffs. There are other options but this one has always worked for me. There is a Larimar workshop and store nearby that has prices that are 1/3 of those in the capital.

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
We are going to Bahoruco on Monday for a few days and need to know where to stay. We are going to the larimar mine. Any place to stay nearby would be good. Thanks

Depends on your budget. Pontevedra is the best option as BPL888 pointed out, and so is Casa Bonita, which is in the heart of Bahoruco, but Casa Bonita is really expensive, much more expensive than Pontevedra.

Aug 19, 2004
It all depends on your budget but IMO Casa Bonita is worth it and cheaper mid-week. I always get the impression that Aparta Hotel Pontevedra was fomerly a brothel.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
It all depends on your budget but IMO Casa Bonita is worth it and cheaper mid-week. I always get the impression that Aparta Hotel Pontevedra was fomerly a brothel.

I have stayed many times in Pontevedra and I love it, but I heard rumours that it is being used as a caba?a-motel (by the hour)

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
housing in la Cienega

close to Bahoruco, in La Cienaga, there are 5 bedrooms in 5 family houses headed by women. All those rooms (and bathrooms) have been prepared, furnished with micro credits and the whole product are managed by the Women's Cooperative. They also have a restaurant "delicias de mi siembra" with exceptional view (on top of Cienaga beach) with unique foods (like pavellon leaves al coco, flan de pana, tallos de auyama), a real gastronomic experience. They also have trails in the mountains to the marvelous cascades, a coffee tour and boat tour with fishermen. All services offered by the Women's Cooperative. Real grassroots, no intermediates no operators, no external agents to comission. And as all was prepared with cooperation monies no margin in the price to pay back a local investor to pay back. All income goes to the women cooperative of la Cienaga (Coopdeci). Single nigth with breakfasts in 475 pesos. other services priced on demand call Vicky 18297638443 to book. the "guanaventuras experience" web site is under construction.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
close to Bahoruco, in La Cienaga, there are 5 bedrooms in 5 family houses headed by women. All those rooms (and bathrooms) have been prepared, furnished with micro credits and the whole product are managed by the Women's Cooperative. They also have a restaurant "delicias de mi siembra" with exceptional view (on top of Cienaga beach) with unique foods (like pavellon leaves al coco, flan de pana, tallos de auyama), a real gastronomic experience. They also have trails in the mountains to the marvelous cascades, a coffee tour and boat tour with fishermen. All services offered by the Women's Cooperative. Real grassroots, no intermediates no operators, no external agents to comission. And as all was prepared with cooperation monies no margin in the price to pay back a local investor to pay back. All income goes to the women cooperative of la Cienaga (Coopdeci). Single nigth with breakfasts in 475 pesos. other services priced on demand call Vicky 18297638443 to book. the "guanaventuras experience" web site is under construction.

Good to hear this, I will visit the restaurant on my next visit. There's also basic accomodations in Bahoruco and a restaurant, it's owned by Luz, the food is really good (fish, rice & beans, meats) but the rooms are a little bit run down, prices are well under $500 also but do not include breakfast, she also rents her own bedroom when the demand is high, her bedroom is luxury compared to the rooms she has for rent.