Editors on vacation?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Just happen to be surfing on the web and I came to this article from Diario Libre.com, one of the top three papers in the DR. Now seems to me that the editors were on vacation, had too many Brugal's (perhaps the writer had a few also) or simply did not care, but the miss information and lack of coherence in the following passage is laughable. See for yourself.

Canada is enormous.

It is the second largest country in the world. However, with a population of 33 million, it is barely larger than the combined population of the island of Hispaniola. A country smaller than most Latin American nations that involves itself in international conflicts as a key NATO and United Nations member. It also has had a banking presence in Santo Domingo for generations. Very interesting.
Visiting Canada - DiarioLibre.com

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Haha. Just another reminder why I don't watch the local news. Ditto for sports news as well. I remember one sportscaster in 2001 with regard to the baseball playoffs saying that Any Pettite was "finished" and should retire because he had a bad outing.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, they are not.

FYI:
#1 Russia--17,075,200 km2
#2 Canada- 9,976,140 km2
#3 USA 9,629,091 km2
#4 China 9,597,960 km2
#5 Brazil 8,511,965 km2

While there might be some opinions as to the style, vocabulary or "shape" of the article, but the facts are right.

Now, regarding that first paragraph, there are some statements that could be said otherwise, since they lead to confusion.
Haiti and the DR do combine for around 19 million, and you are probably right in saying that is not "barely" less than the 33 million in Canada.
And the phrasing of the sentence that refers to Canada's participation in Nato and the UN could have been better said.
The presence of Canadian banking interests in the DR was also not so clear. There are those of us that remember Royal Bank of Canada, and of course, Nova Scotia is still here.

Cordially,

HB

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nooo, but that was different. You know how pontifical baseball "experts" (shoot, any sports-related talking head for that matter) are....they just ":k now":

Andy has had a good run since then...

HB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
No, they are not.

FYI:
#1 Russia--17,075,200 km2
#2 Canada- 9,976,140 km2
#3 USA 9,629,091 km2
#4 China 9,597,960 km2
#5 Brazil 8,511,965 km2

While there might be some opinions as to the style, vocabulary or "shape" of the article, but the facts are right.

Now, regarding that first paragraph, there are some statements that could be said otherwise, since they lead to confusion.
Haiti and the DR do combine for around 19 million, and you are probably right in saying that is not "barely" less than the 33 million in Canada.
And the phrasing of the sentence that refers to Canada's participation in Nato and the UN could have been better said.
The presence of Canadian banking interests in the DR was also not so clear. There are those of us that remember Royal Bank of Canada, and of course, Nova Scotia is still here.

Cordially,

HB

One of my points besides the population statement was not questioning the size of Canada. I am well aware that it is the second largest country. My second point had to do with the sentence......
A country smaller than most Latin American nations
referring to Canada.

The writer, in the first sentence stated that Canada is the second largest country in the world, how can he then in the next breath say the above. Makes no sense at all. I still say they where out to lunch.:ermm: