Meeting Women (Not prostitutes by profession)

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
Hello,

I am considering moving to Dominican Republic and renting an apartment in Sosua. Being that this is a touristic area, I am wondering how easy/hard it would be for me to find a girlfriend? I've spent a lot of time reading the board and have no issue with the fact that most women want a man who can provide for them, and I'm more then willing to play that role but what I don't want to be is a "customer" I want to find someone who I have some chemistry with, and if it's a win-win situation for both of us, great. I'd be worried that most girls in the resort areas may be pros who have multiple customers on the go, and that's what I want to stay away from.

I'm 26, good looking, I work online and make good money. So I'd like to think I'm a good catch. The only thing which I assume will make it difficult for me at first, is that I don't speak Spanish, although I do plan on getting Rosetta stone or perhaps a tutor while I'm there (or both) to pick it up as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
Hello,

I am considering moving to Dominican Republic and renting an apartment in Sosua. Being that this is a touristic area, I am wondering how easy/hard it would be for me to find a girlfriend? I've spent a lot of time reading the board and have no issue with the fact that most women want a man who can provide for them, and I'm more then willing to play that role but what I don't want to be is a "customer" I want to find someone who I have some chemistry with, and if it's a win-win situation for both of us, great. I'd be worried that most girls in the resort areas may be pros who have multiple customers on the go, and that's what I want to stay away from.

I'm 26, good looking, I work online and make good money. So I'd like to think I'm a good catch. The only thing which I assume will make it difficult for me at first, is that I don't speak Spanish, although I do plan on getting Rosetta stone or perhaps a tutor while I'm there (or both) to pick it up as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

I have read so many of these types of posts in my brief time here. I have no idea if these folks are serious or not. When I lived in the States, I had never heard of Sosua.

I never really was interested in Dominican women. My Kathy is no small gal, but she sure know how to keep the home fires burning.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Spanish

It will be difficult without Spansih. Learn as much as you can as soon as you can. After that it should be no problem.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Sosua really isn't the place IMHO to find what you are looking for. I found a very descent young lady in Santiago and it was by chance. Will this be your first time here?
Do you know anyone that is already living here, Dominican or other ? you say you think you are a catch, then why Sosua ? As for your first question, you will find tons of women in Sosua of all ages...but It doesn't sound like the kind you are looking for.
Just bring a lot of money and jackets.

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
I have read so many of these types of posts in my brief time here. I have no idea if these folks are serious or not. When I lived in the States, I had never heard of Sosua.

I don't know if you're speaking to me or past me? :ermm:

Anywho, I too had never heard of Sosua before about a week ago. In december I sold my condo with plans of moving somewhere warm and I was thinking about moving to Brazil. But then with Carnival in Brazil in February it was kind of pricey and I wasn't going there for that so I thought I'd go to Mexico for a couple months then onward to Brazil in April. Then I was looking into Mexico and I looked in Cancun, Acapulco, etc and I didnt find anything I thought was a perfect fit, so I looked in Venezuela, Argentina, Colombia, Jamaica, etc and finally I found Dominican. I found a 3 bedroom apartment in a complex in Sosua, flights to and from home are very reasonable (easy to fly back and forth if needed) and I'm not going to lie - I browsed a couple Dominican dating sites to see what the women looked like and it sealed the deal. So, being that I'm flexible in where I go - it doesn't matter if I knew what Sosua was last week or not, it seems like a good fit right now.

I never really was interested in Dominican women. My Kathy is no small gal, but she sure know how to keep the home fires burning.

Thanks for sharing. :cheeky:

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
Where you will be living, you will have very little chance at meeting what you are looking to find. Santiago is a much better place to find what you have described.

I haven't had much luck finding any apartments online for Santiago, but I will continue looking. Thanks.

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
Sosua really isn't the place IMHO to find what you are looking for. I found a very descent young lady in Santiago and it was by chance. Will this be your first time here?
Do you know anyone that is already living here, Dominican or other ? you say you think you are a catch, then why Sosua ? As for your first question, you will find tons of women in Sosua of all ages...but It doesn't sound like the kind you are looking for.
Just bring a lot of money and jackets.

Yes, this will be my first time in DR.

No, I don't know any one in DR - Dominican or otherwise.

I was thinking about chosing Sosua, because it'd be easier to get by on English only in Sosua rather then Santiago. I also thought it'd be easier to ease into Dominican culture via a resort town rather then plunking myself downtown in a large city.

Also, I'm not sure if it was a legitimate concern or not but I was being worried about being shaken down by corrupt police in larger cities. I've read some other threads where the police regularly shake down gringos for a pay day, and if I'm renting a luxurious 3 bedroom apartment downtown in a major city I assume I'd be a target. Living in a resort town I'd be less exposed. Do you think that's a fair assumption? I'm street smart and intelligent, but anyone who is young and appears to be a "have" surrounded by "have-not's" when I don't speak the language, is a tough disadvantage to overcome.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
I don't know if you're speaking to me or past me? :ermm:

I browsed a couple Dominican dating sites to see what the women looked like and it sealed the deal. So, being that I'm flexible in where I go - it doesn't matter if I knew what Sosua was last week or not, it seems like a good fit right now.

Thanks for sharing. :cheeky:

Honestly, this just doesn't seem like a well-thought out plan. You're giving due diligence a whole new meaning here.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
What am I overlooking?

Amazing. This is how it all begins folks. "I wanna be a tiguere when I grow up mommy". It's all fun and games until you buy a cash-dead business and try to beat out on the contract. Either that or until your chica makes arrangements to have someone waiting for you two upon arrival at the cabana [damn text-messaging!!].

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
Amazing. This is how it all begins folks. "I wanna be a tiguere when I grow up mommy". It's all fun and games until you buy a cash-dead business and try to beat out on the contract. Either that or until your chica makes arrangements to have someone waiting for you two upon arrival at the cabana [damn text-messaging!!].

I don't really get what you're saying, but I'm not looking to invest in an online business. I said I work online and make good money, therefor I can work from anywhere with a high speed connection. I'm not looking to start up anything, I've already got a thriving online business which is the reason I sold my condo and have decided to live abroad for a while.

If that's not what you were implying, I apologize.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
1. santiago is better
2. Sosua works because you dont speak spanish
3. dont tell people what you make EVER
4. Santiago has better women, cheaper apartments and you can fit in easier
5. What more can I say?
6. Bring lots of rubbers, you will find that you dont want ONE girlfriend, you may want 3 and you sound like you can afford them.
7. What more can I say?

Reactions: mike l

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
1. santiago is better
2. Sosua works because you dont speak spanish
3. dont tell people what you make EVER
4. Santiago has better women, cheaper apartments and you can fit in easier
5. What more can I say?
6. Bring lots of rubbers, you will find that you dont want ONE girlfriend, you may want 3 and you sound like you can afford them.
7. What more can I say?

Sheepstank weighs in.