Need a job in dr

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I am considering moving to DR to find a job. I have vacationed there 3 times and have fallen in love with the location. I do not have unrealistic expectations, and know that hard work will be required.

I have a Science Kinesiology degree from Canada and have experience tutoring and coaching a variety of sports. I would be interested in almost any type of work from teaching, to working at a hotel.

I speak fluent english, as well as intermediate french and some conversational spanish. I also have very strong computer skills. I have looked into some of the schools, and was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions....

Thanks,
Shannon

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Where about do you want to live. If you aren?t fluent in Spanish then you will not find hotel work. If you don?t have a degree or teaching quals then you will struggle to find teaching work..

I am seeing alot of people with the interest in moving here, but I think the reality is that either you need to be a couple to beable to afford living on average income jobs (a single average wage will be very difficult to survive on), or have your own business, or have a very good job.

I am considering moving to DR to find a job. I have vacationed there 3 times and have fallen in love with the location. I do not have unrealistic expectations, and know that hard work will be required.

Living and vacationing in DR are 2 completly different animals, slow down a bit and come for a month or two at first and live in an apt,not an all inclusive to get a better feel for things.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I personally have never entertained the idea of employing someone or discussing positions with anyone who doesn't already live here, and I cant imagine any other serious employer would either.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
Dear OP [mxcutie]: are you really a "cutie"? Truth is it's hard as hell to get a job here if you're not well-capitalized, connected, DR resident, fluent Spanish, etc. The market for less-than-average grammar school-level English teachers is saturated. A call center may be a viable option if you're willing to earn a whopping 15-18K Pesos/month and be treated like a street dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had to delete some off-topic posts. Please keep to topic and remember this is the Employment Forum, not Mars and Venus. ;)

Reactions: Malibook

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I actually have a degree, and have taught english in the past. I also spent a lot of time off the resort area when I was visiting, so I know that its not just the "paradise" that people see while vacationing. I have just heard of some people through friends that found positions as teachers or nanny's over the internet and thought I would give it a try. I am planning to move down and find an apartment in the next couple of months, just thought it would be nice to have an idea of what I was going to do when I got there.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
I actually have a degree, and have taught english in the past. I also spent a lot of time off the resort area when I was visiting, so I know that its not just the "paradise" that people see while vacationing. I have just heard of some people through friends that found positions as teachers or nanny's over the internet and thought I would give it a try. I am planning to move down and find an apartment in the next couple of months, just thought it would be nice to have an idea of what I was going to do when I got there.

I will add this. Everyone is entitled to seek out their own happiness. IF INDEED you pull off the relocation, please ensure you are capitalized for a minimum of 24 months. I don't know if you have "roots" or "contacts" here, as a support infrastructure is invaluable in these cases.

Please perform your due diligence, or you'll be calling home crying for a plane ticket inside 5 months, sometimes 3. The capital is crucial.

Most members don't like to reply much to these posts as using the "search" will bring you to hundreds of similar topics, stories, etc.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
There is no chance that I will be calling 'home' begging for a plane ticket because I have no family left here. If I can figure out a way to make this move possible, it will most likely be permanent.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
There is no chance that I will be calling 'home' begging for a plane ticket because I have no family left here. If I can figure out a way to make this move possible, it will most likely be permanent.

Very sorry to hear that. Let me ask: do you have any contact base here whatsoever, or would you be starting from ground zero?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Why do you not try contacting the baseball teams? in Boca Chica for instance many of the US teams have training and coaching centres and they all give englsih classes to the teams too. They pick up the boys here - train them in English and baseball, sign up some and send them to US. the wages would be good, you could use the two things you are good at, and there your lack of fluent spanish would not be as much of a problem.

matilda

Reactions: rellosk

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Very sorry to hear that. Let me ask: do you have any contact base here whatsoever, or would you be starting from ground zero?

The only contact base I have is people that I have made friends with on my pervious visits. Although they are great, they all work at different hotels and would not likely be able to provide any assistance with my job search. I would basically be starting from the bottom and working my way up. I have the qualifications to attend medical school there, but was hoping to find a job and get myself settled for a bit first.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Why do you not try contacting the baseball teams? in Boca Chica for instance many of the US teams have training and coaching centres and they all give englsih classes to the teams too. They pick up the boys here - train them in English and baseball, sign up some and send them to US. the wages would be good, you could use the two things you are good at, and there your lack of fluent spanish would not be as much of a problem.

matilda

That is actually an excellent idea that I had not thought of. With my background in Kinesiology and sports rehab, something like this would be perfect. I will be looking into this. If you have any contacts for this can you please let me know. I appreciate your suggestion.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i have a couple of contacts - but let me talk to them first!! in the meantime get the list of all the US baseball teams - check out websites and write to them!!!

matilda

hugo12

Jan 10, 2010
Looking for a job?

I have a Science Kinesiology degree from Canada and have experience tutoring and coaching a variety of sports. I would be interested in almost any type of work from teaching, to working at a hotel.

I speak fluent english, as well as intermediate french and some conversational spanish. I also have very strong computer skills. I have looked into some of the schools, and was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions....

Thanks,
Shannon

Now Hiring in Santiago!!
Hugo Staffing is a recruitment agency we help people to start a career in the call center industry. Our partner provides the most competitive salary and the best benefits in the market including private medical and dental coverage for you and your family. We represent the most stable and professional call center Company in the country.

Right now we need people with.

Excellent English language skills
Computer Skills
Schedule availability
Motivated
Committed
Career driven

Call us @ 809-772-2045, 809-404-7002 or send us a resume by email @ recruitmentdept@hugostaffing.com

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Thanks Everyone!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and information. I will be moving to the DR in August and am really looking forward to it. I have found (what I think) is a good job. Again, thanks to everyone.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Now Hiring in Santiago!!
Hugo Staffing is a recruitment agency we help people to start a career in the call center industry. Our partner provides the most competitive salary and the best benefits in the market including private medical and dental coverage for you and your family. We represent the most stable and professional call center Company in the country.

Right now we need people with.

Excellent English language skills
Computer Skills
Schedule availability
Motivated
Committed
Career driven

Call us @ 809-772-2045, 809-404-7002 or send us a resume by email @ recruitmentdept@hugostaffing.com

Why would anyone need a recruitment agency to get a job at a call center?

This smells like a scam to me, what happens? Hugostaffing gets a commission, right?

Considering that there are adverts already blanketing the country for various positions I think it would be wise to avoid you.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Will do

I will definately keep everyone posted on how things go. I'm sure I will have some bumps in the road, but things just seem to be going the way I want right now. I'm really looking forward to this move, and can thank DR1 for keeping me on the right track and helping with info I needed. 1 more month!!!!

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Again....Life is full of chance and risks......I say go for it............Usually when people have their backs against the wall..... and no support system in place.....they respond well (Don't get me wrong...You could fall flat on your face and fail miserably) ......Or......absolutely hate it here....You just never know.....a lot of it has to do with having a positive attitude......(And having SOME MONEY never hurts)........ It is very competive here........ BUT..... it can be done.........It's called Survival of the Fittest.........And if things do not go well......It will have been one helluva "LIFE EXPERIENCE"............You sound very capable......Good luck...........