I recently shipped a Christmas Present to the DR: -
A stretched Cotton Canvas, (EMPTY)
100% Cotton Duck, 3/4 in Profile,
Ultra-Smooth, 18x24

For a Hobby Painter - Basically Linen Canvas

Value 93$!

Shipped in Nov 2009

Today Customs Fee Request 800$

I knew things where unpredictable at Balanguer terms - But this tops anything I know about the Dominican Republic Customs (Pirates)

So just be aware Shipping anything to the Dominican Republic or dealing with Government Employees (Guess they always think they got left out)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How was it shipped?

I use EPS to get things from the US and an order of $93 would get to me duty free.

I think $200 is the point at which duty starts being collected. I'm going to check on that as soon as I can get to the Sosua EPS office without getting wet.

Rivers

Aug 18, 2003
Its 24000 RD for a value of 93 USD

I am really shocked.

For a Christmas present so an art student can complete her Art Study about the Dominican Republic to her University in Europe

I guess that will have some funny remarks -- Its not only the money its also the ignorance and time till they came out with the "Easter Egg":bunny::bunny: it took 30 Days to find that out?!

Any "Can-man" would be proud of that scam.

For me its just one more proof that things are not as glory as it seams.;)

Rivers

Aug 18, 2003
Shipped via FEDEX

How was it shipped?

I use EPS to get things from the US and an order of $93 would get to me duty free.

I think $200 is the point at which duty starts being collected. I'm going to check on that as soon as I can get to the Sosua EPS office without getting wet.

Fedex: 798199754263

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Shipping has not been a problem for us.

Ken and Windeguy have the right information.

We have been using EPS for over 5 years for just about everything INCLUDING our FedEx using EPS as our receiving address. Anything large, heavy, unusual or has a possible value issue, we let our local Sosua office know and they let their Santiago people know what it is and in some cases we pay the "estimated" customs tax to EPS before it arrives so the EPS people have "cash in hand" when the item arrives. It has worked very well.

Items under US$200 are not taxed and we make sure that the shipper has an invoice with declared value I think is the main point. (Some items that we buy are a little more but our shippers have worked with us in most cases.) Other items we ask that NO invoice/value be in the shipped item at all, depending on the item.

Sorry that you are having a problem. Ringo

Rivers

Aug 18, 2003
Customs - I wish you where right...

Ken and Windeguy have the right information.

We have been using EPS for over 5 years for just about everything INCLUDING our FedEx using EPS as our receiving address. Anything large, heavy, unusual or has a possible value issue, we let our local Sosua office know and they let their Santiago people know what it is and in some cases we pay the "estimated" customs tax to EPS before it arrives so the EPS people have "cash in hand" when the item arrives. It has worked very well.

Items under US$200 are not taxed and we make sure that the shipper has an invoice with declared value I think is the main point. (Some items that we buy are a little more but our shippers have worked with us in most cases.) Other items we ask that NO invoice/value be in the shipped item at all, depending on the item.

Sorry that you are having a problem. Ringo

Thanks - I just can not belief it my self - but thats just a fact - and it sad.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I order many things from the US and never pay duty if the total value (!) of the package is less than US$ 200.
Even if I order multiple goods for US$ 500, I ask the seller to send it as 3 different shipment whenever it's possible so no bonus to Sr. Fernandez. ;)
You have to MAKE SURE there is an INVOICE in the package stating the value.
In lack of invoice the aduana will evaluate the goods and can set the value to whatever they want ( usually a lot higher than the real cost) as you see. I figured this out when I ordered $60 worth of automotive bulbs and they set the value to $ 450 - because there was no invoice.
When the value is over US$ 200, it's not only duty you must pay, but 16% ITBIS - based on the evaluated value!
Did you put an invoice in the box?
The other thing is, I think in December the duty free value is US$ 500 - because of the Christmas.
I don't know if the goods where made in the US, but if it was, there should be no duty against it (CAFTA).

The Hun

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Shipping from Virginia to Cabrera

I just posted this on the thread re: Dominicans in Northern Virginia but now think this may be a better place... Please forgive the double posting. What is "EPS"?

I will be going to the DR in March to volunteer in a small school in Cabrera and would like to ship some things as I will be staying about 6 mos. I read elsewhere on dr1 about shipping barrels from NY for a reasonable fee -$30 for the barrel and $100 for shipping with no weight restrictions. Does anyone know about a similar service from Virginia? I am in Fredericksburg so Richmond is better for me than NoVA, however, I would appreciate ANY info you can give me.

Muchas gracias.
Susan

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I just posted this on the thread re: Dominicans in Northern Virginia but now think this may be a better place... Please forgive the double posting. What is "EPS"?

I will be going to the DR in March to volunteer in a small school in Cabrera and would like to ship some things as I will be staying about 6 mos. I read elsewhere on dr1 about shipping barrels from NY for a reasonable fee -$30 for the barrel and $100 for shipping with no weight restrictions. Does anyone know about a similar service from Virginia? I am in Fredericksburg so Richmond is better for me than NoVA, however, I would appreciate ANY info you can give me.

Muchas gracias.
Susan

Hello Susan,

We have large items shipped to our Miami EPS address via Fedex or UPS. Depending on the item size will determin how they ship and the costs to the D.R.

Angie is the manager in the Sosua EPS office and is great. She speaks English, don't know if she is American or Canadian. lol. I recommend that you contact her for good advice and recommendations including how to mark the boxes/barrels, invoice information, setting up an acct. and perhaps estimated prepaid custom taxes if needed. I gather that most items will be a donation to the school and the value of each box is under US $200. Don't ship all at the same time. (hint... hint.)

809-571-3451
Pedro Clisante #12

Angiewolff@mac.com

Good luck with your project and thanks. Ringo

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Thank you!

This is exactly the detail I needed! You made my quest much simpler.
Muchisimas gracias

???Have no idea why the title shows a thumbs down on the index screen?? Certainly NOT INTENDED.

Last edited:

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
ooooops

OMG there I go again, thinking that it IS all about me!! :paranoid::paranoid: Thanks for the enlightenment.
Susan

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Hello Susan,

We have large items shipped to our Miami EPS address via Fedex or UPS. Depending on the item size will determin how they ship and the costs to the D.R.

Angie is the manager in the Sosua EPS office and is great. She speaks English, don't know if she is American or Canadian. lol. I recommend that you contact her for good advice and recommendations including how to mark the boxes/barrels, invoice information, setting up an acct. and perhaps estimated prepaid custom taxes if needed. I gather that most items will be a donation to the school and the value of each box is under US $200. Don't ship all at the same time. (hint... hint.)

809-571-3451
Pedro Clisante #12

Angiewolff@mac.com

Good luck with your project and thanks. Ringo

Also, within the next week or so, we will be opening an EPS office in Cabrera as a sort of "branch" of the EPS in Sosua. So you will be able to collect your packages here instead of heading to Sosua.

The office will be in Plaza Comercial Maria, Maria Gomez #10. Across the street from the main supermarket in town.

poprocks

Jan 26, 2010
Good info. Will customs charge you for items over $200 if you are bringing them with you or is it just when shipped to you? For example, traveling to DR with kiteboarding gear?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Good info. Will customs charge you for items over $200 if you are bringing them with you or is it just when shipped to you? For example, traveling to DR with kiteboarding gear?

Customs will not charge u anything if U bring it here...unless u say that "It is completely new and here is the receipt..." up to u what to do...:cheeky:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
FYI to all.

1. The US200 exemption applies only to certain shipping companies like EPS and Vimenpaq but not to all of them.

2. The "exemption" does not apply for all goods as I have and the OP have learned. For example, laptop computers supposedly will be charged a tariff no matter the cost.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I've been using Premium Express Cargo in Miami.

Last year I sent a laptop...NEW in a nice laptop bag (Packed in it's styrofoam with instructions) & a DVD player NEW in the box... No tariff

I've sent 3 boxes of various items (most new) in the last two months...I'm shipping Starbucks coffee (go figure), dishes, towels...household goods, even a George Foreman grill NEW in the box...NO tariffs

I always attach a "manifest" to the outside of the box and the same list is inside the box (as well as email it in advance to Premium)

I always stay under $200 declared value and any electronics are stated as "used" on the manifest with a low value on them

The receiver has an account with Premium in the DR...I don't know if that makes a difference. Usually they just pay $1.35USD per pound for shipping and if Premium delivers it in the DR, a small handling fee.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Everybody is pretty much correct, anything under US$200.00, no dutie or ITBS, through EPS, UPS, DHL or Fed-Ex, all I have been using for 10 years now.

I was told that computer parts carry no taxes, dutioes or ITBS, recently from TigerDirect I brought in over US$860.00 of parts, only paid the shipping charges at EPS, 16 lbs. cost RD$2,000.00 from Miami.

Bet that charge was RD$800.00 for documentation!!!!!!

Last edited:

jav2043

Sep 17, 2009
Help to ship a new 32" tv from NY or Miami since I will be ordering from tigerdirect which is based out from Miami. Any recommendations???