La Romana LRM to San Domingo Colonial Zone

Nic43

Dec 11, 2009
Found myself a great deal on a flight from UK to La Romana mid Feb. Need to get to the Colonial Zone in SD. Arriving late Sunday afternoon. I'm guessing an airport taxi is going to cost more than the flight, is there an alternative ? Travelling light and I speak some Spanish.

Dont know the area so any advice much appreciated.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
renting a car and driving the long road from La Romana to Santo Domingo actually is not that difficult at all. It is a straight drive on the highway Las Americas west, through San Pedro de Macoris, Juan Dolio, Boca Chica and eventually to the capital. Should be no more than a 2 hour drive depending on traffic and or congestion.
If you dare take this route, do a 1 way rental from the Romana Airport to the city of Santo Domingo. There are offices for Europcar and Budget that are centrally located in the capital so you can drop the rental off and continue about your business there. I think it would be far cheaper than a taxi from La Romana to lets say Zona Colonial...
good luck! :)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It would be plain crazy for you to drive yourself to Zona Colonial from the la Romana airport after that flight and late in the afternoon ..and for the same price you can go by taxi ..it will cost you about $110 ..maybe $120 you can first call a taxi driver and make the booking ..I can give you the name of a reliable driver
The last bus to the capital leaves about 9 pm so you could arrange for a taxi to drive you from the airport to la Romana bus station on the san pedro road and it takes you to a rather dangerous part of Zona Colonial .the cost will be less than $30

Nic43

Dec 11, 2009
[you can go by taxi ..it will cost you about $110 ..maybe $120 you can first call a taxi driver and make the booking ..I can give you the name of a reliable driver
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Prearranged Taxi probably does make sense after a 9 hour flight. Could take the bus for the return trip. I'd apreciate any contact details you have, thanks

jons_intown

Feb 9, 2010
Thanks Nic43,
although planning to get to Boca Chica, first, you have more or less asked my same question. I wonder if we are on the same flight?

So far I have seen 2 options if the local bus service from La Romana has stopped running for the day.
1) I have seen several websites with a prebooking transfer option, however the prices seem to vary a lot and I don't know how safe it would be to pay online/ or how reliable these companies are.

Option 2 To get an airport taxi into La Romana town (15 minutes away?) which you would have to do anyway to catch the bus and stay 1 night in a hotel and catch the bus (at leisure) the following day.

I would be interested to know if you have come up with a solution yet,
Regards.

Found myself a great deal on a flight from UK to La Romana mid Feb. Need to get to the Colonial Zone in SD. Arriving late Sunday afternoon. I'm guessing an airport taxi is going to cost more than the flight, is there an alternative ? Travelling light and I speak some Spanish.

Dont know the area so any advice much appreciated.

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
what time does your flight arrive. I live and LR and from time to time I have to go to Santo Domingo for work. I usually take the bus and it is painless and cheap. If you take a taxi from the airport and have it drop you in the central park they have shuttle buses which take you to the bus station for Santo Domingo.

jons_intown

Feb 9, 2010
Allowing say 40 mins for immigration and baggage collection
and 20 minutes for a Taxi into La romana, we are talking about around 9 O'clock at night in Central park and feeling tired no doubt.

what time does your flight arrive. I live and LR and from time to time I have to go to Santo Domingo for work. I usually take the bus and it is painless and cheap. If you take a taxi from the airport and have it drop you in the central park they have shuttle buses which take you to the bus station for Santo Domingo.

Last edited: