Canadian Embassy in Haiti & Visas

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any news regarding the Canadian Embassy in Haiti since the earthquake? I saw on the news that alot of buildings had fallen and crumbled. I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding our Canadian Embassy in PAP?

I hope that the building and everyone is alright. Also, that all our spouse's applications are safe and sound.

I'm worried even more now.

Jess

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi Jess

I've been listening to the news all night and there's very little info right now about anything for lack of communications so hang on tight and say a prayer that everyone is ok for now.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I saw on the news network here in Saskatchewan that the building is intact but has been evacuated for safety reasons. They will need to check that the structure is okay. It is a very very sad situation - especially for a poor country like Haiti. My heart goes out to all people in Haiti and to people who have loved ones who live there.

haitilee

Jun 23, 2009
I understand the concern for your papers (seeing as ours are there too), however, my in-laws are in Haiti and I would have to say that right now my thoughts are on our family not our application...thanks for the prayers everyone

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Thank you for your responses.
No doubt, human lives are much more important than applications.

My thoughts are prayers are in Haiti.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
My husband is in Haiti. Please, I beg of you to post something if you hear anything about phone lines opening, the Delmas area of PAP or any hotlines to inquire about our loved ones. My husband was in central PAP... I am just praying and praying. No phone lines are working. I sit here and watch CNN on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I don't wish this upon anyone.

haitilee

Jun 23, 2009
brown_girl my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family as I am praying to hear some good news from my in-laws who also live in the Delmas area...it is terrible what has happened and it is so hard with no communication and not being able to get a hold of anyone. If you need to talk you can pm me and I will get back to you as soon as I can...I too am glued to CNN and very, very worried...

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
Haitilee if you talk to anyone or hear anything about Delmas 24 please let me know.... I tried to call my husband and it was ringing.... then it went straight to his voicemail only once. I am freaking out and shaking. I want to go there now.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
My husband I got through to for about 5 minutes. He got out of his apartment before it collapsed. He and his sisters and cousins are okay. I thank the Lord for keeping him and his sisters safe. I could hear screaming and crying in the background. It is still a horrid situation. My husband had no clue as to what is going on within Haiti since all their communication is pretty much shut off. He asked me when the ground will stop shaking, and if it is still dangerous. I told him to find a field far from buildings. He was also worried about his parents who live a couple hours away and I told him it didn't affect other parts of Haiti. The phone cut off, but he asked if help was coming before we got cut off, and I told him that it is. I pray now for all the others in Haiti not accounted for or heard from yet and for the survivors. I do not wish this upon anyone. This is the most horrific experience of my life...and I feel selfish saying that because I am positive it is 100 times worse for my husband and the people in Haiti. I pray that I can get through to my husband again, but the phone message is stating that the phone is not in service now.

Reactions: Adrian Bye

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
On another note, I contacted CIC Immigration and they told me to keep following up with them because the guy I spoke to is assuming that the visa applications affected by PAP will be pushed through. I asked who will be handling the visa's since PAP is out of commission and he stated that they will come up with some sort of contingency plan such as relocating the visa officers to the DR. I will keep calling them everyday to figure this out. Although I would like to know if refugee status will be made available to the rest of our family there as well.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
We will keep your family and friends in our prayers. CNN reporters were driven into city and taken through the Delmas area and it's not good. We hope your family is safe.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
BrownGirl, My thought and prayers are with you and your husband and all the people of Haiti. I am happy you were able to get through to your husband, at least for a few minutes. I can only imagine how you are feeling right now...

It's so hard to accept that we have absolutely no control over something this big.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Wishing strength for Haitilee & Browngirl and any others with family in PAP.

I can't imagine how worried you have been and how happy you must have been to be able to talk to your husband even if only for a few minutes.

From watching the news tonight, it looks like the stats are likely going to get a lot worse in the next few days and I would think that the embassies will be working hard to provide refugee status to a lot of people.

May all your loved ones stay safe and hopefully you will get to talk to them again soon.

Sangria

tdsub

May 15, 2006
Has the DR been effected at all because of the Haiti's earthquake? My prayers are with everyone in Haiti.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
on the one website it says that Canadians in Haiti for shelter and water but no other services can be provided at this time and they must have ID with them.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
To brown_girl103.

I have relatives in DELMAS.It hasn't been touched! Your husband should be safe!.

To everyone else the Embassy hasn't been touched either. It's in Delmas (walking distance from some of my relatives)!