volunteer work in haiti NOW

flo

Apr 11, 2006
hi there, i been living in the DR, sosua for 10 years, and i would be interested to go to haiti now for up to 2 weeks to offer help, does anyone know who to contact, i have a strong will to help, and im sure there is a lot to be done.

please dont tell me to contact the un office or anything like that, i would like to get a direct contact to a person that can get me moving NOW

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
contacts

hi there, i been living in the DR, sosua for 10 years, and i would be interested to go to haiti now for up to 2 weeks to offer help, does anyone know who to contact, i have a strong will to help, and im sure there is a lot to be done.

please dont tell me to contact the un office or anything like that, i would like to get a direct contact to a person that can get me moving NOW
Sorry,

If you have a specifically required skill set (medical, demolition, construction, etc) then you'd be better off contacting one of the organizations which are currently mobilizing their relief efforts to volunteer. If not, then it would be better for you to send a donation. There will be a great many people all over the area and conditions there will continue to deteriorate rapidly as many are homeless, without food and in need of medical attention.

If you do decide to travel with a relief agency as a volunteer, be blessed and safe.

I only came up with U.S. Contact #'s:

AMERICAN RED CROSS
Text ?HAITI? to ?90999? to make a $10 donation.
2025 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
(800) REDCROSS (733-2767)

AMERICARES
88 Hamilton Avenue
Stamford, Conn. 06902
(800) 486-4357

CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES
(800) 736-3467
P.O. Box 17090
Baltimore, MD 21203-7090

MERCY CORPS
Dept. W
P.O. Box 2669
Portland, Ore., 97208-2669
(888) 256-1900

OXFAM AMERICA
226 Causeway St., 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02114-2206
(800) 77-OXFAM (776-9326)

THE SALVATION ARMY
615 Slaters Lane
P.O. Box 269

THE SALVATION ARMY
615 Slaters Lane
P.O. Box 269
Alexandria, VA 22313

SAVE THE CHILDREN
Haiti Earthquake Children in Emergency Fund
54 Wilton Road
Westport, Conn. 06880
(800) 728-3843

WORLD VISION
Haiti Earthquake Relief
P.O. Box 9716
Federal Way, Wash. 98063-9716
(888) 511-6548

CARE
151 Ellis Street
Atlanta, Ga. 30303
(800) 521-CARE (521-2273)

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS USA/MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES (MSF)
333 7th Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10001-5004
(888) 392-0392

INTERNATIONAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHARITIES
P.O. Box 630225
Baltimore, Md. 21263-0225
(877) 803-4622

U.S. FUND FOR UNICEF
125 Maiden Lane
New York, N.Y. 10038
(800) FOR-KIDS (367-5437)

PARTNERS IN HEALTH
P.O. Box 845578
Boston, MA 02284-5578
(617) 432-5256

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Your desire to directly help others is admirable. I would like to politely say that in times of utter crisis like this, many organizations do not want to be responsible for volunteers immediately following the event. (Think of all the inputs involved with volunteering: housing, food, finding actual work to do...)

To immediately help, I suggest a monetary donation to an organization that is already on the ground doing work with Haitian organizations. Money is what is needed most right now. Down the line as things are more stabilized, I am sure that organizations will need volunteers for long-term recovery projects.

here is a list of organizations already on the ground. Haiti Disaster Relief: How to Contribute

(I say this as someone who has worked in the development and humanitarian assistance field for some years, with experience in these types of situations. although not as extreme.)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002

You might try contacting the "Batey Relief Alliance"

The Batey Relief Alliance

bra@bateyrelief.org

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
From the CIDI

"There are three basic reasons why Cash Is Best.

The professional relief agencies use monetary contributions to purchase exactly and specifically what the victims need. Staff for the organizations work directly with the victims at the disaster site and are in the best position to know not only what is immediately needed, but also when it is needed and where it is most needed. In addition the experience of the relief workers enables conversion of cash donations into items that withstand cultural and religious sensitivities, as well as environmental issues.

Money is easy to transport. Moving a container of commodities can incur costs in excess of the value of the items. Getting a donated commodity into containers and onto a ship, across the sea to the disaster site, through the port costs and the customs' tariffs, quality checked, quantity checked and sorted, and organized into warehouses, requires payment at each step. Invariably, there are basic needs materials close at hand to a disaster site and purchasing locally provides savings in many ways.

Money used to purchase available items local to the disaster has a double benefit. First, it provides an infusion of cash which supports the economy at a time when it may be reeling from the effects of the disaster. It assists in providing confidence and a sense of normalcy as shops and services recover. Secondly, a container load of commodities placed freely for the use of victims has the negative impact of competing with the recovering, local markets."

Cash Is Best - Who, How, and Why<p><p>

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
A friend in SD sent me this information:

The best way we can help is by donating the food and medical supplies that are badly and urgently needed.

Amongst the things that are needed are: canned foods, blankets, first-aid equipment and supplies, trauma equipment, IV’s, alcohol, pain killers, antibiotics, bandages, gauzes, blood, etc.

For those of you in the DR, we ask that donations be taken directly to the following Aid Center:

Oficina de Jose Garcia Armenteros:

Calle Porfirio Herrera #4, Piantini.

It has a sign outside that says “Un BB por Haiti”.

They will be collecting all donations there to later take them to Higuero Airport to be sent from there to Haiti.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
A friend in SD sent me this information:

The best way we can help is by donating the food and medical supplies that are badly and urgently needed.

Amongst the things that are needed are: canned foods, blankets, first-aid equipment and supplies, trauma equipment, IV?s, alcohol, pain killers, antibiotics, bandages, gauzes, blood, etc.

For those of you in the DR, we ask that donations be taken directly to the following Aid Center:

Oficina de Jose Garcia Armenteros:

Calle Porfirio Herrera #4, Piantini.

It has a sign outside that says ?Un BB por Haiti?.

They will be collecting all donations there to later take them to Higuero Airport to be sent from there to Haiti.

Aug 21, 2007
For those on the North Coast, Dominican Crossroads is collecting clean, used clothing, shoes, towels, and sheets. These items can be dropped off at Dr. Bob's vet office next to Coastal gas station. Someone has offered our organization a container and transportation to deliver the items to Haiti.

We also welcome volunteers to assist with this collection project. I anticipate we need volunteers to distribute fliers explaining the project, to offer footwork collecting donations from hotels and businesses who agree to serve at satellite collection points, and to help sort and pack donations.

For those wishing more information on our organization, please go to

Dominican Mission Crossroads

Should you wish to volunteer or help in another way, feel free to send me a PM.

Lindsey

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Received this note from the Jesuits at Centro Bono....
I ask once again if there are any contacts with the owners of the large chains who might sell these supplies WHOLESALE

PLEASE

AYUDA

A HAITI

Los Centros de la Compa??a de Jes?s en Rep. Dominicana (Santo Domingo: Bon? y Centro Alberto Hurtado; Santiago: Centro Bellarmino y CEFASA; Dajab?n: Solidaridad Fronteriza) han establecido una red de ayuda para socorrer a los damnificados del terremoto en Hait?.

Estamos recibiendo los siguientes donativos:

ALIMENTOS:

- Habichuelas en lata

- Salchicas en lata
- Sardinas en lata
- At?n en lata
- Galletas de soda
- Leche tetrapack

- Jugos de fruta tetrapack

- Comida no perecible en general

MEDICAMENTOS

- Sueros de rehidrataci?n oral

- Gasas

- Algod?n

- Analg?sicos (acetaminof?n, ibuprofen)

- Cabestrillos

- Vendaje el?stico

- Toxoide antitet?nico

- Ganmaglobulina antitet?nica humana

- Antibi?ticos (amoxicifilina, en suspensi?n y/o comprimidos)

- Antis?pticos (tipo yodopovidona, o tipo jab?n de clorhexidina)

- Toallas sanitarias

SE RUEGA NO TRAER ROPA

Pueden dejar sus contribuciones en dichos centros.

- Bon?, c. Josefa Brea N. 65, Mejoramiento Social, Santo Domingo

- Centro Alberto Hurtado, Av. Jim?nez Moya N. 37, (al lado de Inaz?car), Santo Domingo

- Centro Bellarmino, Km 1 .5, Aut. Duarte, Santiago

- CEFASA, Km. 5, Autopista Luper?n

- Solidaridad Fronteriza, C/ Manuel Roca 13, Dajab?n

Para donativos en efectivo, hacer giro a la siguiente cuenta del Banco Popular:

Centro Bon?, 734510795

Si el pago se realiza en cheque, favor hacerlo a nombre de ?Centro Bon?. Puede depositarse en esa cuenta o entregarse en algunos de los centros..

Para m?s informaciones: - Bon?: (809) 682-4448; (809) 688-1646

- Centro Hurtado, Servir-D: (809) 535-2977

- Centro Bellarmino: (809) 582-6998

- CEFASA: (809) 736-8272

- Solidaridad Fronteriza: (809) 579-8993

Direcci?n electr?nica: direccion@bono.org.do; p.mella@bono.org.do

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

You will not be useful in Haiti now but you will be useful in Dajabon... the mayor is trying to get the military trucks out of the fort to use...

See the Solidard Frontier office info on the Centro Bono posting

bless you for being willing

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
my brother was called today from Rescate Ambar. A group of local people from POP are going to Haiti w them for 5 days or so to help out. I do not know their number right now, but if you call the Defensa Civil and Cuerpo de Bomberos they can guide in the right direction.

Reactions: rellosk

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I'll be in Santiago in four weeks, and would like to bring a suitcase full of stuff to donate. As a teacher in a district of about 6000 with 600 staff on my message board for work, I am confident I can fill my suitcase and that of my friend traveling with me. What can we bring that would most help? I read, no clothes? So far I have towels, sheets, shoes, bandages, triple antibiotic cream, asprin, ibuprofen, and sanitary products for women.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I'll be in Santiago in four weeks, and would like to bring a suitcase full of stuff to donate. As a teacher in a district of about 6000 with 600 staff on my message board for work, I am confident I can fill my suitcase and that of my friend traveling with me. What can we bring that would most help? I read, no clothes? So far I have towels, sheets, shoes, bandages, triple antibiotic cream, asprin, ibuprofen, and sanitary products for women.

here are some things which are hard to find or very expensive in the DR

small high powered flashlights and batteries

big bottles of ibuprophen and acetomeniphen
big boxes of guaze pads and tape

and , i do not suppose that you have a couple of sattelitte phones kicking around?

sheets, towels, shoes, all come into the used clothing market here so we do not need them from the States

thanks!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
For those on the North Coast, Dominican Crossroads is collecting clean, used clothing, shoes, towels, and sheets. These items can be dropped off at Dr. Bob's vet office next to Coastal gas station. Someone has offered our organization a container and transportation to deliver the items to Haiti.

We also welcome volunteers to assist with this collection project. I anticipate we need volunteers to distribute fliers explaining the project, to offer footwork collecting donations from hotels and businesses who agree to serve at satellite collection points, and to help sort and pack donations.

For those wishing more information on our organization, please go to

Dominican Mission Crossroads

Should you wish to volunteer or help in another way, feel free to send me a PM.

Lindsey

Thanks Lindsey. We have known Dr. Bob for several years and he has helped us/our animals several times and never charged us or would take anything. My wife talked with him this morning and then went over with a contribution; our turn to help him and Crossroads.

He has already sent one truck load of medical and other supplies along with three doctors and a couple of techs. He is working on the next load to be sent ASAP.

Cash can be sent via his web site above.

Thanks again. Ringo

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
They are looking for volunteers to pack up some boxes. Office on Churchill.
Call to be on the list:

Centro Hurtado, Servir-D: (809) 535-2977

I will be there on Sunday

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
here are some things which are hard to find or very expensive in the DR

small high powered flashlights and batteries

big bottles of ibuprophen and acetomeniphen
big boxes of guaze pads and tape

and , i do not suppose that you have a couple of sattelitte phones kicking around?

sheets, towels, shoes, all come into the used clothing market here so we do not need them from the States

thanks!!

They made a plea for Flashlights and batteries to be sent to Jimani ASAP in El Gobierno de la Manana as they had set up tents to attend survivors in critical condition and do not have electricity installed yet.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
They are looking for volunteers to pack up some boxes. Office on Churchill.
Call to be on the list:

Centro Hurtado, Servir-D: (809) 535-2977

I will be there on Sunday

They also need empty boxes to pack the supplies.