How to?

kendr

Jan 13, 2010
I live in Santiago, since this is the forum on how to deal with Dominican Business owners here is my problem
We live across the street from a tiny Colmado, the owner has a dog who is outside that colmado day and night and barks at everything that moves.
As of lately the owner brings his Pet Rooster out and now we listen to him as well
I spoke to him and asked him to control his dog, made no difference.
Any advice on how to deal with him?

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
I live in Santiago, since this is the forum on how to deal with Dominican Business owners here is my problem
We live across the street from a tiny Colmado, the owner has a dog who is outside that colmado day and night and barks at everything that moves.
As of lately the owner brings his Pet Rooster out and now we listen to him as well
I spoke to him and asked him to control his dog, made no difference.
Any advice on how to deal with him?

That is one rock and a hard place kendr. You can probably "discuss" that with him until you are blue in the face. He may "yes" you to death, he may tell you to go to hell. Colmado owners generally are very, very thick-skinned individuals. I don't see much hope other than buying some good ear plugs.

"Upping" your daily purchases at his store MAY help??

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Step one...

You can start by purchasing his rooster and making some sancocho tipico with him.;)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
If you're really lucky the dog may try to eat the rooster and choke! Other than that, definately a rock and a hard place!
Good luck to you!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Step two...

smear a piece of meat with some dieffenbachia(very common there)juice and facilitate a dog/meat meeting, perhaps while attempting to purchase rooster. The poison won't kill the dog but will quiet him down for a few days.

kendr

Jan 13, 2010
That is one rock and a hard place kendr. You can probably "discuss" that with him until you are blue in the face. He may "yes" you to death, he may tell you to go to hell. Colmado owners generally are very, very thick-skinned individuals. I don't see much hope other than buying some good ear plugs.

"Upping" your daily purchases at his store MAY help??

Bought the plugs already, its the only way we can sleep and stoped buying from him a few days ago. Maybe i wait a few more days and go back and ask him if you want me to buy more get rid of your Zoo?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Bought the plugs already, its the only way we can sleep and stoped buying from him a few days ago. Maybe i wait a few more days and go back and ask him if you want me to buy more get rid of your Zoo?

The guy has a dog and a rooster, that is pretty standard here. I've lived in about 7 different house/apartments in the DR and basically what you have is a good situation by comparison with how bad it could be.

Can you imagine if it was a colmadon with the loud thumpedy thumpedy and plinky plinky music with a crowd of drunks yelling at each other?

I consider my living situation to be the quietest I've found since I have moved to this country. My neighbors have 5 dogs that run around the whole neighborhood chasing cars and bark at the moon all night long.

There are chickens and roosters wandering around all over the neighborhood and a Haitian family squatting some construction behind the house. The husband gets drunk and beats his wife once a week or so, and their toddler age child screams his head off pretty frequently.

I consider it a very quiet living situation, the best I've found in 10 years in 7 different locations because there are no colmadones or neighbors who play loud music (well 3 or 4 times a year one may crank the radio) also, the road in front is in very bad repair so no one cruises through there with the radio turned way up, and there aren't many motorcycles driving through without mufflers.

Basically from reading your post I think you may not realize how bad it can get, and if you actually asked your neighbor to do something about his dog barking or his rooster crowing I have no doubt he will be laughing about this (though maybe not to your face) whenever he thinks of you.

I think you should just accept these noises as facts of life here, count yoru blessings and try to remember that dogs bark and roosters crow and yet our ancestors survived just fine.

Trust me, it could be much worse. 3 years ago I lived in the middle of a loud stereo war between 3 of my neighbors, and on top of that the fourth one had to blast his TV straight into my bedroom to hear it at all above the rest of them.

I tried a lot of things including involving the police, making threats, getting my own radio and trying to drown them out, and nothing worked except packing up and moving. You cannot imagine what I would have given at the time to find a place where the only noise came form a dog and a rooster.

kendr

Jan 13, 2010
The guy has a dog and a rooster, that is pretty standard here. I've lived in about 7 different house/apartments in the DR and basically what you have is a good situation by comparison with how bad it could be.QUOTE]

I don?t want to argue with you, I live pretty close to Downtown Santiago just a few Minutes walk from Mr Movie, not in a campo. I have lived in places like la Vega Puerto Plata and some others and even there I didn?t have that problem. Anyway, thank you all for your Comments I will find a solution

Minnesota Pat

Jun 26, 2009
Good Luck, you will need it.
I had an apartment across from a market and they would blast the music so loud I had to move. A neighbor said the business owner paid off the police, so they would leave him along.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Fight fire with fire. Find a nice friendly neighborhood evangelical church that adores music, ask if they would be willing to hold a nightly service (especially Fridays and Saturdays) at about 8pm to 9 pm on the sidewalk just outside your neighboring colmado to help them recruit new members, and either make a small donation or provide transport for their assistance during their :ermm: recruitment phase. :ermm:

Example:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/99239-noise-pollution.html

My bet is that your neighbor will either get the point, in which you win, or he will pay them even more to go away, in which case you would lose this round.

kendr

Jan 13, 2010
Fight fire with fire. Find a nice friendly neighborhood evangelical church that adores music, ask if they would be willing to hold a nightly service (especially Fridays and Saturdays) at about 8pm to 9 pm on the sidewalk just outside your neighboring colmado to help them recruit new members, and either make a small donation or provide transport for their assistance during their :ermm: recruitment phase. :ermm:

Example:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/99239-noise-pollution.html

My bet is that your neighbor will either get the point, in which you win, or he will pay them even more to go away, in which case you would lose this round.

Great idea, I am actually considering buying some big speakers and play some Yodel Music followed by back pipes back to yodeling.....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DR city life makes me realize how good we have it in Jarabacoa.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have lived in 5 different apts in the DR in 4 different neighborhoods. Coincidentally tonight in Gazcue near my apartment someone is playing somewhat loud music but not that bad and it is a rare occurence. During the day we may get cars honking or motos revving but night time is pretty quiet.

Now, years ago when we lived en aquel lado near the cabanas of san isidro we lived ABOVE the colmado. They had a LOUD jukebox that I grew into tolerating as the rent was cheap.

One weekend the muchacho was in charge and at 2 am the music was BLASTING. I mean no way to hear TV, make a phone call, let alone sleep. Our neighbor had a new born so that had to be a nightmare.

I walked downstairs and asked the kid to turn it down. He said Ok and turned it down a little bit. On my way up the stairs he turned it up louder than it was previously. I turned around walked up to juke box and pulled the plug. There were maybe 20 people still hanging out in the colmado and they looked at me like I was crazy. The muchacho looking ****ed while he cut fruit with his machete trying to intimidate me.

Went back upstairs and they turned it back on and louder. Walked back down and pulled plug. Told kid if he put it on that loud again he would need to find a new job. He smirked and kept flaunting his machete.

Fast forward to the next day. I talk to the owner. I explain that I have never complained about loud music and he agreed. I said that the previous night however the muchacho was plsying the music unbearably loud after 2 am.

I told him I play guitar and have a really kick butt stereo tube amp back in the states with a 4x12 cabinet that would be WAY louder than his silly little jukebox and if he didn't fire that kid right then and there. . . . .I would bring my amp down the next week and practice every night. Told him I am not very good. . . . .but I am VERY loud! I promised him in no uncertain terms that if I am practicing. . . .. NOBODY would go to his colmado. . . . EVER. . . . .lol. . . .

Never saw the kid again.