For those interested in 2003 DR Quake

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Thank you for your noble and crucial work, CFA!!

Eye openning!

Tell me, what are the normal time intervals between earthquakes in Puerto Plata - Sosua area? I am concerned for the safety of my baby. Since last time here it was six years ago what to expect now and in the nearest future? Maybe just a general idea? Is living away from the coast safer than closer to the water?

Aff

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for your noble and crucial work, CFA!!

Eye openning!

Tell me, what are the normal time intervals between earthquakes in Puerto Plata - Sosua area? I am concerned for the safety of my baby. Since last time here it was six years ago what to expect now and in the nearest future? Maybe just a general idea? Is living away from the coast safer than closer to the water?

Aff

Afgan, there are no "normal time intervals between earthquakes". The only time interval that I have heard mentioned for this area is that we are 800 years overdue for a "big" one, in the magnitude of 8, I believe.

It is likely there are signs that the experts who monitor quakes see that indicates one is possible in the foreseeable future, but there was nothing said before the 2003 quake to put us on guard.

I don't think it makes much difference if you live near the water or not, except that if there is a tsunami, then obviously you are better off being away from the beach.

Btw, I also heard on the news that the 7.0 quake in Haiti was not the big one overdue in that area.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There seems to be a large earthquake in the DR roughly every 50 years. But you could also go a 150 years between big ones or you could have two in 20 years. Chances are very low, to be injured or killed in an earthquake in the DR. You would have to be near the epicenter and you would have to be an structurally unsound building, to be in danger.

You can buy an earthquake alarm, they are cheap (I think like $30) and depending on the size and distance of the earthquake, can give you between a few seconds and a couple minutes warning. I bought one in 2003, after we had the earthquake here, and it detected a lot of the aftershocks with a few seconds warning. I wish I had gotten it earlier when the quakes were stronger and more frequent, immediately after the the main quake.