Can anyone give me the info on San Juan de Maguana?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I am thinking of making this place part of a visit and I am wondering what is there and if there are any places to stay.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Certainly not a tourist destination. Nice folks. There is an old Indian (Taino) Circle up there. Pre-colombian, of course. Not much else. Some nice countryside, good highway with some surprising speed bumps that will wipe out a transmission...

Couple of nice hotels, nothing special but clean and quiet.

It is the major city in the area, but a long drive if you don't know what to do there or have friends there.

HB

The nicest hotel in San Juan is the Hotel Manguana it is on the right side just as you enter the town or you could stay in hotel D Angel which is 2-3 blocks past the police station on the right side as you enter town, D'Angel is about 700 pesos per night a basic room with cable and A/C and very friendly staff. Sorry I dont have the number for Hotel Maguana but the number to hotel D'Angel is 809-557-3484 or 809-557-4653. SanJuan is a very nice town to visit but not much to do unless you know people out that way. Very scenic drive though if your into that.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Thanks, now I just have to figure out how the the heck to get there from Santiago.

I see that it is not a tourist destination. However it is a place where several women on latinaffairs.com live. Que verguenza por mi confieso estar.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You sure as heck don't know Spanish.
How to get there?
Bus to Sto Dgo, Bus to SJM
Figure maybe 7 hours if you make connections.

HB

Thanks, now I just have to figure out how the the heck to get there from Santiago.

I see that it is not a tourist destination. However it is a place where several women on latinaffairs.com live. Que verguenza por mi confieso estar.

Hell if thats the case have them come to see you in Santiago, Im sure they would love to get a chance for a little road trip.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I have a Spanish vocabulary but I can't get the verbs straight even after passing classes in college years ago.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Is there a way of driving from Santiago to San Juan de Maguana without going thru Santo Domingo? I would consider hiring a driver if there is one.

Last edited:

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
What if you use route 201 to cut off going thru Santo Domingo? There is a route from Santiago to San Juan but it is only a jeep track. The jeep track goes between 2 places called Loma de Corral and Sabaneta, I wonder if anyone here has been on it?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is there a way of driving from Santiago to San Juan de Maguana without going thru Santo Domingo? I would consider hiring a driver if there is one.

The best way to go actually is NOT through SD, and any driver there will know this. You turn off before you hit the city, near Carefour. You go right and there is a good road bypassing the city and getting you on the Hwy towards Bani.