Haitian Prisoners Escape...

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I was watching Headline News in the States and the news stated that many "violent" prisoners escaped from prison after the quake.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them head towards the Dominican...

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Haitians start to emmigrate across the border into the DR.

Looks like the quake destroyed most of the infrastructure around Port-au-Prince, and it'll be a long, long time before they get water, electric, and all the basic things needed for sustenance back into place.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I was watching Headline News in the States and the news stated that many "violent" prisoners escaped from prison after the quake.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them head towards the Dominican...

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Haitians start to emmigrate across the border into the DR.

Looks like the quake destroyed most of the infrastructure around Port-au-Prince, and it'll be a long, long time before they get water, electric, and all the basic things needed for sustenance back into place.

I think that's only a blib. It came up because it has some "media" value. about 1000 inmates may have escaped alive. But I fear it's not much when compared to the bigger picture.
Really, just Cite Soleil alone, categorized as the Western hemisphere most dangerous in by the law impenetrable bidonville (keep in mind, Rio's and Sao Paulo's notorious favelas are part of that hemisphere too), is said to have 200'000 to 300'000 inhabitants in just about something shy of a square mile! Given, certainly not all will be criminals, looter and murderers but I think there will be more than only ONE percent of them any of us would not ever want to meet in some dark alley.

CNN reported shots being fired all thru the second night... another reported commented to that, that this was not unusual during most any night in PAP.

I have never visited PAP, but since January 12th I have spent hours on earth.google. It is amazing how much or "greater" PAP's surface is composed of bidonvilles.

What I really fear, the penitentiary report really may be a sad warning of, is that this disaster not only hit that country's largest city, but the capital city and and that it most likely destroyed what little there was of the WHOLE country's infrastructural, political and organizational ability to function as such.

... J-D.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I watched that...

It's amazing. There were only 4 bodies so most of the prisoners did actually escape. The guards with the rusty shotguns appear to have left as soon as the shock popped the prison gates and doors open. The "warden" who was interviewed looked like a kid. A very confused kid. This is just another sad fact of this catastrophic event. There will be others.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
So, NOW they were 45 hundred of them escaping. "They may have taken the prison over" ... but no dead guards around :bunny:! :tired:

I still think that 4500 criminals more or less on the loose among probably 100's of thousands always up to no good... it's not the foremost issue right now, but merely one more drop in the already full barrel of problems. But then, who's to say which will be the last drop to make it burst. :ermm:

... J-D.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
These 4500 will be the most motivated Haitians to get to the DR asap. Can the DR be expected to absorb these criminals as well at 1 million others without some of the international aid?

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Well, I'd say it depends on the perspective.

Have you seen the acrobatic Haitian construction workers in the DR? Going down that rope is like a walk in the park.

All of the Haitians I have met in the DR are wonderful hard working people people, but 4500 criminals is no drop in the bucket. Are there any records remaining to help identify these escapees and will those records be shared with the DR.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Who wouldn't escape from that hell hole if given the opportunity.

I wonder how many guards are patrolling the border for the influx of new sankie wanna bees.

Let's hope they don't start kidnapping Gringos

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
These 4500 will be the most motivated Haitians to get to the DR asap. Can the DR be expected to absorb these criminals ?

Criminals or not they are humans first of all and also deserve a decent place to live and decent food to eat. They may change to the better with more education and enlightment while in contact with the American and European population in Sosua-Cabarete area.

Nobody is perfect. Those men could have made some mistakes in the past. But everyone needs and deserves a chance to improve.

Reactions: mike l

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Criminals or not they are humans first of all and also deserve a decent place to live and decent food to eat. They may change to the better with more education and enlightment while in contact with the American and European population in Sosua-Cabarete area.

Nobody is perfect. Those men could have made some mistakes in the past. But everyone needs and deserves a chance to improve.

I'd rather it be in Guantanamo Bay!

Afgan what are you smoking? I really would like some of it. These are criminals escaped from a prison,they are not your average person trying to better their lives. Maybe you could let a few into your home to live and you could teach them the finer things in life till they rob and possibly kill you. Ohh and can you please tell me what your smoking!!!

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I have some bleeding heart liberal leanings myself, but Afgan's kumbaya response is just a bit much for me too. I am not volunteering to ease the transition into everyday life for the escaped prisoners.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I definitely have to disagree with afgan's statement too. I would say I'm all for equal treatment to every individual, but with the circumstances, helping these prisoners is the last thing on my agenda.

And I hope God is looking out for me if they start kidnapping Gringos!

Being a young, white, Canadian .. should I be worried about my safety while on the North Coast?

Reactions: badpiece33