Canadian Immigration Employees working in Port Au Prince...

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
Will be transfered to Santo Domingo!

I just finished talking with the receptionist over @ the Sto. Dgo. office (I called to ask about the person that helped me bring my wife over to Montreal that worked in the Port Au Prince embassy) and that person is no longer working in Port Au Prince, she is actually living in Montreal again.

How are you guys? I know some of you probably dont remember who I am but my wife came to Montreal last year (June) after a painful process and about 2 years of waiting...

Reactions: mike l

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Of course we remember Carlos. ;) How is your wife settling in Canada?

Perhaps you could post about it in our Adjusting to your new country thread in the Dominicans abroad section and give others some pointers of what she has gone through.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
my wife is doing great! loving the snow and the french course. she speaks some french already and does everything by herself without my help (languagewise) which is great.

she will start working soon and hopefully things will continue to be beautiful, just like they are now.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
This is great news... amidst this hard time.

I just am waiting for official news about them expediting the cases from Haiti that are affected by this Hurricane now.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Haiti had a hurricane recently? I think you mean earthquake. You might need some sleep browngirl ;)

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
That`s good news for all the people in Haiti awaiting immigration to Canada.

If they are transferring the people working at the Embassy in PAP to Santo Domingo will they transfer the applications on those in Sto.Dgo also?

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
I am guessing they are transfering the files too... it makes no sense to transfer just the employees and not what they are supposed to work on.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hey Carlos,

How could I not remember you...I even remember when your wife landed in MTL: June 6th 2009... (On my closest cousin's B-day)

I'm glad your wife is doing well....I don't know if you recall, but I teach French to newcomers so hearing you talking about your wife's her learning process is like talking about students!

Sincerly glad to hear from you,

MBG

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
I was just talking to my my husband...And I told him, in my opinion the next logical thing to do is to transfer the agents and the files to STD...I'm hoping my theory will be a reality...

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
They posted a long press release on the CIC website.
Here is one of the questions in the FAQ's:

Q13. I was not affected by the earthquake in Port-au-Prince, but I have submitted an application for temporary or permanent residence. What should I do?

The Government of Canada’s current priority is to provide assistance to Canadians in the area, and then to resume visa and immigration services as soon as possible, starting with the Family Class.

CIC is making arrangements to resume these services, including opening another office in the area. As services resume, CIC will provide information on where people normally served by the office in Port-au-Prince should submit their questions and applications.

Hope this helps.

Jess

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Just wanted to mention that all the files are scanned and kept electronically as well as the paper copies so the move to SD should be pretty straight forward. I'm thinking of all of you waiting processes of your files. Good luck

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
On the bright side....moving the files anywhere out of PAP means they will be processed faster...there aren't many other offices with longer processing times.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
I don't think things will be any faster - first of all the minister announced that Haiti applications - existing and new will be expedited - this will increase the number of applications and these new applications are being processed ahead of others in line including those from DR- and that is what impacts the timeline. Secondly, its the same officers - working out of the SD office -they have been relocated there so there could be issues with trying to accomodate more staff into their office area. I would expect a few delays as Immigration Canada moves to get those affected by the earthquake out as quickly as possibly. after they get through that then i would imagine they will resume normal processing times.
I know its not the greatest news but I think that's how it will be as they try to help those most in need.

goodgirlmaddie

Oct 10, 2009
With an influx of new Haitian applications, would they not bring in more immigration officers to help get through all of the new applications. It would only make sense. Otherwise the backlog of all other applications will be ridiculous. I am assuming that they can't expect to get through all this with just the usual immigration officers on staff.