Importing a Tata Nano Car

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
Hi,

Would anyone know if there are any limitations on importing a Tata Nano for street use in the D.R.?

Also, are there any requirements / standards that might have to be met for the car when importing? (example: some countries require daytime running lights installed / emissions standards to be met / safety standards, etc, etc. when importing a vehicle?

Another question is: if I am not a citizen and not a resident of the D.R., is the import process any different (different taxes / duties / etc.?) on the car import? I plan to use the vehicle while I am in the country for roughly 3 months out of each year.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Can you get a LHD version of the Nano? I thought that it was only made in India and supposed the be the world's cheapest car. India drives on the left, so I assumed that they were not exporting them in LHD version yet, but I could be wrong.

The DR does not permit RHD vehicles on the roads, but does not prohibit importing them. You will have to convert it to LHD. I have seen a few examples of conversions, all Japanese cars. A few examples are Honda CRV, Mitsubishi Pajero, Toyota 4 runner (the diesel one) Toyota Vitz and Nissan March. I have yet to see a good conversion. The wiring harness are bodged together, the A/C never works as it should and I've seen some steering conversion that are downright dangerous.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Roads would play hell on that sabot.

Parts would also be hell.

There have to be better alternatives.

Feb 7, 2007
According to Wikipedia, there is a Nano Europa model, which meets European standards, so i assume it does have everything it needs to have to legally drive in the DR.