bringing in a used computer

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I know afamily in La Caleta - they are poor and I help them out with rent and stuff. They have four kids, from teenager to 3 months old. I want to bring over a computer when I go next in February but am unsure how it would work out there- I want them to learn but also want to put a camera in so we can communicate often while I am away in th USA. If I import a used computer will I have to pay tax or penalty? My company is giving away old computers right now but they are the heavy desktop ones of a few years back- I work for a shipping company and can possible ship for low cost but down;t want to get hit for taxes and duties when it arrives- otheriwse I'll just bring a laptop with me and say it's mine... and leave it there fot them... what do you think? and internet connections- are they like here in the USA,,, ? cable or at least DSL? and the cost?? many thanks MIke

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
buying furniture and stuff

Is there the equivalent of a cheap website out in the DR for used furniture? Like and Ebay or craigslist? The family I support there is poor and we need to get some furniture in the house- but looking around La Caleta even the cheaply knocked-together furniture at the compra-vente is way over the top in price for what I think it's worth.... tables and chairs, stuff like that- surely people sell furniture like they do here for next to nothing, right????But I nver see signs for garage sales or the like......or am I bugging??

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
yeh?? 140 bucks?? that would be a good deal... they have never had a computer so I dont want to buy a top of the line laptop right now for them... where do I go to get a desktop like that???

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My suggestion would be to buy an inexpensive used lap top that has a built in phone modem. There are tons of them available mail order on the web. Then just bring it thru customs in your carry on as though it was your personal lap top. You can buy a cheap mouse and printer at Plaza Lama when you get here, And you will wind up with all the functionality of a desk top set up at very low cost.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
used desktops are reasonable in the DR but I find that printer and monitors are NOT, you could bring down a monitor in your carry-on. If you think about bringing a printer look into what ink is available first so you don't run into having a printer and no ink situation.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
used desktops are reasonable in the DR but I find that printer and monitors are NOT, you could bring down a monitor in your carry-on. If you think about bringing a printer look into what ink is available first so you don't run into having a printer and no ink situation.

depending on where your at there are a couple of places in the capital that do cartridge refills.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Laptops will not last with the average Dominican Family, they will need repair within 6 months if not stolen! Buy a cheap desktop in the DR. I have had good success with tricoms cheapest DSL, it seems to be enough to use voip with Ooma.

If you send down a tank of goods, you can usually sneak in a computer or two.