Roads into Haiti

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Can anyone give a report on the roads in use into and out of Haiti?

What are the major crossing points? Dajabob? Jimani? Pedernales? Which roads are used the most heavily?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Obviously, Dajabon & Pedernales are the major points. Comendador, B?nica, Pedernales are secondary.
The problem is that past the frontier there are serious issues with roads. Comendador is probably the third best, Pedernales fourth and B?nica fifth, on my list, anyway.

Problem with Pedernales is you have really bad roads over to Jacmel and then that horrendous mountain road to PAP. Not for the feeble.

Just a 2? thought.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Any reports about the traffic through Jimani...which road is being used, north or south of the lake...and the route through Pedernales?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to CNN and ABC, the road from Jiman? is jammed with traffic in both directions. As to whether it is north or south of the Lake I cannot tell.

HB

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
According to CNN and ABC, the road from Jiman? is jammed with traffic in both directions. As to whether it is north or south of the Lake I cannot tell.

HB

This is not true.
Our people have been going in and out through Jimani for three days with no problems, no congestion and very little in the way of vehicle or document check.
There were problems of congestion on Wednesday but they have been relieved since and passage is smooth.

Reactions: Adrian Bye

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
thanks bryanell, this is extremely helpful.

how is the road from santo domingo to jimani? are there any issues or is it easily passable?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I said "jammed", not congested....they are full of vehicles....I certainly cannot comment on whether there are or are not traffic tie ups...In and out has been facilitated, of course.
I would imagine a slow, steady travel into and out of Haiti.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bryanell: This would seem to contradict your statements.

On another thread by "mountainannie"

My nephew in DC is a reasonably big wig at FEMA and reports the following

There have been delays at the airport in PAP in delivering supplies because some well meaning volunteers arrived expecting that they would be fed and watered

DO NOT go into PAP unless you have a contact there with a well who will take you in

WATER is in very short supply

There are serious delays now at the border as the road has been hit.

IT now will take 7 hours from the border to get into PAP-- as opposed to one hour. (Italics and bold are mine , HB).

PLEASE DO GO into PAP unless you are trained first responder working with the Dominican Red CROSS

THE MOST PRESSING need now is WATER

ANYTHING that delays the WATER TRUCKS hinders the rescue efforts.

please see my blog at Changing Perspectives for more continued updates from HAITI

kembe la

HB

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
road to Jimani

I drove to the border two days ago. The road was good. Ambulances were moving in and out and dozens of trucks with rescue personel from the DR were coming in. My Haitian friends did not have any problem coming in and the border was not jammed packed.