Jacmel

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
I am concerned about the city of Jacmel on the south coast of Haiti. From what little information I can find, the city also has extensive damage; however no help is showing up. With resources backing up for Port-au-Prince, why can?t some of these resources be diverted to Jacmel? The city is on the sea front and has an airport. Because of this, it should be accessible.

Bruce

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Jacmel is a beautiful place went there from the DR (long long trip by road) for about 5 days about 10 years ago.....

From what I understand there is quite a bit of destruction but the air strip is not long enough to land large planes and the road between Jacmel and PAP is impassible.

There is a tweeter who is giving updates from that area it may be of interest.
melindayiti (melindayiti) on Twitter

This blog list a destruction report by the UN re: damage in Jacmel, and estimated 3000 people have died (about 10% of the town) The Life and Times of the Mangine Many

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to Twitter, theyhave planes and boats but US controllers will not authorize. Seems that bureaucracy is raising its head and overdcautiousness is approaching.
jacmel with 10% fatalities??? OMG!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
According to Twitter, theyhave planes and boats but US controllers will not authorize. Seems that bureaucracy is raising its head and overdcautiousness is approaching.
jacmel with 10% fatalities??? OMG!

i have not heard this yet but the entire aid delivery operation in Haiti is now under the direction of the US military... because, clearly, think about the riots that will ensue if there is just stuff that lands on the shoreline. Aid must be delivered in an orderly and protected mannar

post the twitter link and i will forward to the
Red cross director of Southcom