2 DR aid workers SHOT in PaP

LA71009

May 13, 2009
MSNBC is reporting two DR volunteer aid workers who arrived with the meal trucks ( one being reported as a DR business man ) were shot by angry Haitians and are in serious condition in Barahona after being airlifted back to the DR.

link is here:

msnbc.com Video Player

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Listin Diario elaborates:
La Rep?blica - Hieren de bala dos comerciantes dominicanos en Hait?

From the Dominican embassy, the most seriously injured of the two was airlifted out; the other was taken to a U.N. hospital in P-au-P. From what I've seen, some of the Dominican aid trucks have been sent to provide help in some of Haiti's worst reputed neighborhoods, violence wise, but the distribution has seem well organized.The article says many of the Dominican trucks distributing food aid have had to put up with attempted assaults.

Last edited:
May 5, 2007
Me, "Nationalistic response?' come on, I'm just agreeing with how poorly the US has handled this situation, how badly the US has treated Haiti in the crisis, how horrible the US has been in an attempt to garner world admiration

I'm just agreeing with the poster who said the US should have...............

Why do you feel the need to constantly post nationalistic rants in the earthquake topics?
Of course people complain, this is as extreme a situation as it gets, you can't expect people to be all calm and rational.

Mar 2, 2008
"Of course people complain, this is as extreme a situation as it gets, you can't expect people to be all calm and rational."
Mariot

So you must understand why people with varying perspectives might react emotionally, right.

Island dreaming is simply reacting to some emotional rants leveled at the US. It is a very natural reaction, as you have observed.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, but everyone should just take a step back and realize that everything that is humanly possible is being done.

It is an extremely difficult situation, and those helping are faced with an impossible and thankless task. I'm sure there are countless side-line critics who will attempt to find fault, no matter what is done. It goes with the territory.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"
It is an extremely difficult situation, and those helping are faced with an impossible and thankless task. I'm sure there are countless side-line critics who will attempt to find fault, no matter what is done. It goes with the territory.

Absolutely, Canada is doing everything in can, but many Canadians of the left side of Canadian politics are still saying the government is acting too slow, not doing enough, being racist along with a million other complaints. It is the nature of many people that they can't put this STUFF aside, even more a moment. These are the same Canadians that are making snide remarks about the efforts of other countries. I'm sure most Haitians are very happy for the help they are getting but there is a large criminal element there and they will definitely take advantage of the opportunity.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
but there is a large criminal element there and they will definitely take advantage of the opportunity.

Too true. Especially since the prison collapsed, allowing thousands of prisoners to run the streets.

Also, many otherwise law-abiding people are desperate. No food, no water, no shelter, deaths in the family, injured family members who urgently need medical care, etc., and may go to any length to keep what they need.

May 5, 2007
Not criticsm true question

So the dilemma continues; what is more important, immediate aid or setting up a proper security force to safely deliver the aid?

My experience says set up workable logistic lines, but what do you do when you see people literally dying of thirst?

So the dilemma continues; what is more important, immediate aid or setting up a proper security force to safely deliver the aid?

Personally I can't say which, da**** if you do, da*** if you don't

Too true. Especially since the prison collapsed, allowing thousands of prisoners to run the streets.

Also, many otherwise law-abiding people are desperate. No food, no water, no shelter, deaths in the family, injured family members who urgently need medical care, etc., and may go to any length to keep what they need.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think it must be done simultaneously. Both are needed, but the longer it takes to get some basic necessities to people, like something to eat and drink, the more hopeless they become and the larger the security force that will be required to deal with the lawlessness.

Mar 2, 2008
The fact is the there are several processes happening simultaneously in Haiti, and it is a massive undertaking.

There are the immediate search and rescue effects, emergency medical and health care, providing food, water and clothing, and of course establishing a level of security. There are also effects to plan for future needs, and the efforts for rebuilding.

All of these processes are coordinated through international governmental and non-governmental organizations, including various military services.

It is absolutely incredible that some people still have the nerve to criticize these enormous and costly humanitarian efforts.

Reactions: Tamborista
May 5, 2007
Ken, Bob, Catcher

Thanks for stating what I have been trying to say without much success. Could be my lack of "Standing" in this community, my abrasive personality or whatever, but it is heartening to know that some people with obvious insight into the way life works agree

I'll admit to being "nationalistic," it usually happens with career military but I can't get over a few people criticizing ANY of the relief efforts mounted by ANY country, they are all doing it out of compassion and concern for fellow human beings, no other reward

Thank any relief worker or Military personnel now in Haiti and you will likely get a blank look and a reply of something like "What do you mean thanks, wouldn't everyone do this?"

Reactions: Celt202

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
school trips to Haiti ? you cant find teachers to do field trips in the uk for fear of legal action if something goes wrong

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
The aid workers are doing an extraordinary job in Haiti from every country. It warms my heart to see the world come together during this horrific event.

With that aside... I would like to say that my husband is Haitian and fled Port au Prince after this earthquake and after his home collapsed. Upon attempting to flee, with his little sister on his back (she was injured), he was having to hide from people robbing other earthquake victims. Needless to say, he felt these people are heartless and cruel, he was quite angry that some of his own people are acting this way.

I just wanted to let you guys know, not all Haitians are like this. The few rotten apples of this country cannot blind us to the fact that there are good people there as well.

I pray that Haiti will be able to rebuild itself and work with other nations in order to abolish some of the ills that have been occurring within the nation for way too long. The rich and government of Haiti need to be knocked down a few notches... that's for sure.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
this report just in from PAP

Cin? Institute Director David Belle
reports from Port-au-Prince:
"I have been told that much US media coverage paints Haiti as a tinderbox
ready to explode. I'm told that lead stories in major media are of looting,
violence and chaos. There could be nothing further from the truth.

"I have traveled the entire city
daily since my arrival. The extent of damages is absolutely staggering.
At every step, at every bend is one horrific tragedy after another;
homes, businesses, schools and churches leveled to nothing. Inside every
mountain of rubble there are people, most dead at this point. The smell
is overwhelming. On every street are people -- survivors -- who have
lost everything they have: homes, parents, children, friends.

"NOT ONCEhave we witnessed a single
act of aggression or violence. To the contrary, we have witnessed neighbors
helping neighbors and friends helping friends and strangers. We've seen
neighbors digging in rubble with their bare hands to find survivors.
We've seen traditional healers treating the injured; we've seen dignified
ceremonies for mass burials and residents patiently waiting under boiling
sun with nothing but their few remaining belongings. A crippled city
of two million awaits help, medicine, food and water. Most haven't received
any.

"Haiti can be proud of its survivors. Their dignity and decency in
the face of this tragedy is itself staggering."

David Belle, January 17th, 2010
Go to Cin? Institute's website for latest photos and footage coming from the students
in Jacmel.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
With all due respect. Haiti is a nation. The Chain of Comand is Haiti, UN, World Food Org., Military. If the Military was given the mission, to secure the roads and deliver food and meds., it would be underway. The People in charge have told them," Wait we're talking about it and will get back to you". It's all BS and about CYA. The Military and relief workers from every nation have been ready to go. They are not being allowed to. I've been thru this. If your on the ground, it make you sick.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is absolutely incredible that some people still have the nerve to criticize these enormous and costly humanitarian efforts.

I agree and hope those who criticize have made sizable donations to the legitimate organizations that need money so they can do the best work possible.

Sep 20, 2003

any.

Go to Cin? Institute's website for latest photos and footage coming from the students
in Jacmel.

One of my Haitian friends sent out an email and said that her neighborhood had been badly damaged and that people were too afraid to sleep inside their houses. She's been sleeping outside with her European husband, infant daughter, and other family members. She wrote that her neighbors were all helping each other. I also heard on BBC Radio this morning that the looting and violence was not as wide spread as was being reported, that the reporter thought the violence was being exaggerated.

My friend's biggest fears were the arrival of water, medical aid for the injured, and the very real fear of epidemics breaking out in the coming weeks.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

any.

in Jacmel.

The first sentence is the key. Understanding that he doesn't have the time or capability to scrutinize the media coverage himself, still, he has been told what someone else's impression of the media coverage is. That is a big problem with the media. The problem being that too much of the message that gets through is via secondhand thirdhand or later accounts of the coverage. I have been watching an inordinate amount of the coverage on MSNBC and CNN, and the impression that I've gotten is that overall the Hatian people have been heroically patient throughout the whole ordeal. There have been many stories in the coverage, including the fact that it has not yet exploded, giving evidence to this. There have also been some stories showing that some of the 2-3 million people in the city, after four days without food or water and perhaps with criminal or political ulterior motives, have become frustrated and impatient and acted poorly. Until this morning it hasn't been any worse than alot of the behavior I've seen in many other parts of the world, resulting from trivialities like watching a sporting event or a night of trying to attact the opposite sex. People will see what they want in the news coverage, but it is not the fault of the media for reporting all aspects of an event. That being said, even if there were no reports of looting or violence in Haiti yet, I would suspect that at this point in a situation like this, anywhere in the world, a tinderbox ready to explode, is one of the possibilities that is becoming increasingly probable. I dearly hope that the patience of the Hatian people and if necessary the combined military force of the US and the UN win out in this one.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Remember the news is the news. They have to sell stories. They want sensationalism... LOOTING, STARVATION, CHAOS, DISASTER, POOR PLANNING is going to sell papers or have you watch their channel.

Haiti was calm today. The Haitians were respectful of each other and patiently waited for the foreign aid isn't going to create the stir that they want.

Reactions: mountainannie