Urgent need for doctors, nurses, aides in Jiman?

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
The IMB missionaries Dawn Goodwin and Delores York are working in the Clinica Buena Samaritana in Jimani. The doctors and nurses are overloaded with many Haitans that are alive who arrived today (Sunday Jan 17). Many have wounds that are infected and some need amputations. The surgeon there is amputating 30 people now and many are waiting.

If anyone knows of anyone who is a doctor or a nurse or anyone who is willing to assist even though they may not be a nurse or doctor, they are needed in Jimani. If anyone can go tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday please go.

In the clinic a bed and food is available for volunteers. They have a large floor for volunteers

When you get to Jimani, go to the Clinica Buena Samaritana and call Dawn Goodwin 809.997.1697 or Delores York 829.899.5549.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I forwarded this request to the US REDCROSS Coordinator for SouthCOM

but there is a need for massive aid to the hospital and all the clinics in Jimani now

if there are doctors who are willing to go there

contact the Dominican Cruz Roja
Cruz Roja Dominicana

Direcci?n: Calle Juan Enrique Dunant #51, Ensanche Miraflores,
Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana.

Tel?fono: 809 334-4545, 809-412-8207

Fax: 809 412-8360, 809-238-5252

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I am not a doctor but have medical training. Can give injections, clean up, change dressings, help. Speak english, spanish, french, creole.

Let me know if I can help.

Matilda

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I am also not a doctor or nurse but have medical background through working for the bloodbanks for the Red Cross and did first aid courses.
It has been a long time ago but those skills do not disappear.
I speak English and French but little Spanish and no Creool.

I would like to help but is there a way to know that I am needed there before hand so that I do no make the trip and then to be there just to find out there are enough volunteers?

Also, do I need to get additional shots like for hepA ander other disaeses?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I am also not a doctor or nurse but have medical background through working for the bloodbanks for the Red Cross and did first aid courses.
It has been a long time ago but those skills do not disappear.
I speak English and French but little Spanish and no Creool.

I would like to help but is there a way to know that I am needed there before hand so that I do no make the trip and then to be there just to find out there are enough volunteers?

Also, do I need to get additional shots like for hepA ander other disaeses?

You are needed only if you are willing

yes get all your shoots, tetnus, thypoid, cholera

Ok there has been no outbreak of cholera yet but the shots are recommended

then report through your local Red Cross who will coordinate with the Red Cross here- and will deploy you when they have room for you.

start collecting supplies to bring with you

and THANK YOU!!!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
One of our trucks has just returned and said the situation is desperate everywhere, especially Leogane, which was at the epicentre of the earthquake. They are only coming to the attention of the press now. We have some more trucks preparing to leave, would one of you with contacts in the clinic in Leogane please pm me and I will give you my contact details. One of the trucks waiting to go is full of medical supplies.
Robert will post the photos when these trucks return with the photos. We also have a Dominican Press team going with us and a team of armed cops.
One thing we desperately need is a small pick up truck as the large trucks cant get into some areas, can anyone provide one please
Thank you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
yes get all your shoots, tetnus, thypoid, cholera

Ok there has been no outbreak of cholera yet but the shots are recommended

In the days when I used to keep my cholera shots current, the first dose was 2 shots 2 weeks apart - not sure if that is still the case. Then remember to have a booster every 6 months I think it was.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
In the days when I used to keep my cholera shots current, the first dose was 2 shots 2 weeks apart - not sure if that is still the case. Then remember to have a booster every 6 months I think it was.

As I said, there is no outbreak of cholera now

so if you can get hep a and b
tetnus and thyphoid

WHICH SHOTS YOU SHOULD ALWAYS keep up to date, no?

not that i have... just we should, should we not

note

i am not a doctor
nor do i play one on the message boards

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
so if you can get hep a and b
tetnus and thyphoid

WHICH SHOTS YOU SHOULD ALWAYS keep up to date, no?

not that i have... just we should, should we not

Yes and I do, each time I visit UK. Just that last time I tried to get a cholera shot in UK it wasn't possible because they weren't doing them 'it's been eradicated'.

If there is little rain there probably won't be any cholera at all in Haiti, thank goodness.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Meningitis, depend which one, the viral one or the bacterial form?
One is very contagious, the other not.

Tetanus is not contagious but for sure there will be victims of tetanus because of not suffici?nt medical care of wounds.

That there is no outbreak of other diseases. If you see the images of how clean the Haitian people are if they do have access to clean water and a few square meters of clean ground to build their little tents on it, it does not surprise me at all.
The danger although still remains as long as those people will be staying close by each other for longer periods and especially when it should start to rain.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Has anybody been to Jimani and seent he accomadtions the Red Cross has? I talked to the office in SD but would like to hear any first hand reports.

Thanks