Cayman island quake

May 29, 2006
There have been earthquakes all over south America this week. A 7 in Argentina, another 7 in Guatemala and now this one. I think it's a good time not to be on the same fault line as Port au Prince.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I doubt they would have reported it in such detail if it hadnt been for the Haitian earthquake - there were some in America just before that went largely un-noticed by the majority of the world press

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I doubt they would have reported it in such detail if it hadnt been for the Haitian earthquake - there were some in America just before that went largely un-noticed by the majority of the world press
You doubt correctly!

Earthquakes occur daily through out the Caribbean. They tend to be tremors deep enough to not be felt and/or felt lightly.

Its sensationalism on the part of the journalists. Keep following the tremors on the websites where you get real time feedback, and notice how as the year continue to progress, the reports will begin to "miss" these very normal tremors. One does need to wonder why they are news worthy after a big one hits, but not news at all in normal times.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Having lived in the Dominican Republic for just 3.5 years, I have felt a number of earth tremors - they are not particularly worrying or scary and are normally a rumble or shudder for a few moments.

When the serious quake sadly hit the area of Port au Prince in Haiti it was a totally different sensation that we felt here also. Our world rocked from side to side and, whilst talking on the internet to friends in other parts of the DR, we all said "oh ****, what the hell was that?" We immediately knew that it was something serious somewhere............... at that point in time we did not know where or who was affected.

Poor Haiti was the recipient of this disaster, let us hope they can rebuild their lives with renewed energy and spirit and let us stop worrying about what tomorrow may hold for any of us.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Our world rocked from side to side and, whilst talking on the internet to friends in other parts of the DR, we all said "oh ****, what the hell was that?" We immediately knew that it was something serious somewhere................

Yes it rocked but a lot less than the 2003 quake near PP, less even than some of the 2003 aftershocks. The 2003 one got me outside the house, this one didn't.

Jan 3, 2003
Keep following the tremors on the websites where you get real time feedback, and notice how as the year continue to progress, the reports will begin to "miss" these very normal tremors. One does need to wonder why they are news worthy after a big one hits, but not news at all in normal times.

Hopefully after this disaster, it will be a regular part of the weather report of Hispaniola.

Just like when meaningless tropical waves dissipate into nothingness yet are constantly being reported,

in like fashion these tremors will also be reported.